RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[1.0] Guard Spawner

David

Moderate
[1.0] Guard Spawner

Guard Spawner
Updated for RunUO 1.0

Summary:
Spawns a creature with a special key in it's pack. The key unlocks certain doors or chests that you designate.

Description:
There are 3 scripts; GuardKey.cs, GuardSpawner.cs, and GuardSpawnerGump.cs. The spawner works just like a regular spawner with a few exceptions. First, it will only spawn a BaseCreature which is not a BaseVendor or a BaseMount. Meaning, it will spawn nearly near any critter that could possibly have loot. Next, it will add to that critter's pack a GuardKey. The GuardKey will open a nearby door or chest, but after only a few uses the key will break.

A GuardKey is a key that has a given KeyValue set in the GuardSpawner props gump. In the GuardSpawner gump you may also set how many times the GuardKey will work (default 5), and the time delay until the door or chest is locked again (default 20 seconds.) Finally, the GuardSpawner's props gump will allow you to "ReKey" any lockable door(s) or chest(s)--meaning it will set that locks KeyValue to match the GuardKey which the spawner spawns.

I like to set a noble or two in a locked room with a bunch of orcs outside. One or two orcs will have a key to the doors. It is entirely possible, even likely, that some players will get locked behind the doors. I consider that an opportunity for role-play, but you may want to allow an emergency exit.

Notes:
This was originally written for Beta 36; that version works well in RunUO 1.0 so if you do not need the minor updates there is no need to download it again.

Installation:
Copy into your Scripts/Custom folder and restart the server. Ingame [Add GuardSpawner and double-click the spawner item. Various settings are available with the [Props command.

Update:
Added uses remaining on the key to the mouse over text. Also, there is a Description item in the Spawner Properties which will be passed to the Key; you may use this to identify the key.

(Previous downloads: 807)

Attachments

• GuardSpawner.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 91

Darveon

Wanderer
Maybe I'm getting to sound like a broken record...but...

Yet another great script David!

To anyone out there looking for an easy way to have a "boss" creature or make a simple repeatable quest > > > This is the script for you. ;)

It's easy to use, simple to set up and accomplishes its task excellently.

I highly recommend this script to anyone looking to add a little extra flair and a unique element of danger to their world.

Igon

Wanderer
You've have yet another great script to credit. This will keep players from just running through the spawn to get to the end of a quest. They will now get to "experience" quests the way they were intended.

I have made a few minor modifications like setting a key owner, so ony the person that first picks up the key can use it and also I'm showing the Owners Name and Uses Remaining when you hover over it.

One thing that I havent been able to get tho is only spawn a key on one of the creatures instead of all of them. Is this a feasible task and if so can you point me in the right direction?

David

Moderate
Thanks for the comments. I like the owner idea, if you don't mind send me a pm and I'll update the script to include that as an option.

As too limiting the spawns, I have just used this spawner with a count of 1 or 2 alongside of a regular spawner spawning the same creatures. Would that work for you, or should I work in another solution?

Igon

Wanderer
I tought about doing that, but if it was just a Utility.Random i thought I'd try to get it all in the same script. But now that I think about it more, I like the separate spawner more, allows me to keep more control in MegaSpawner.

Just had a staff member ask for a Name property to set on the spawner that would pass to the key so you would know where the key is to be used.

I'll pm you with the mods as soon as I get that done.

amherst

Sorceror
Problem Solved!

This is going to be great! I am currently having problems keeping arties on my tough monsters because of thieves. This may give me a good base to inhibit their craft without ruining it.
Thanks David!