RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[2.0] Publisher

Liacs

Sorceror
[2.0] Publisher

Hallo,

here is another update for RUNUO 2.0.

But I also added some stuff such as different royalties for books you give to the publisher. I can't remember who made this. I just take credit for my changes. :)

Edit: I found the original scriptor: it was lewism http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43144&highlight=publisher. As he is no longer active I think it is no problem to have made a new thread, is it? :D

Installation: Plug and Play!

Bugs: The dates the book was published are not correct.

Have fun.

Lia

Attachments

• Publisher.rar
    8.1 KB · Views: 309

Tylius

Sorceror
At work right now, so can't check it out.

When you give the books to the publisher, does it do anything? (i.e, log the book to a file so an admin can add it to the game later, or add it to a 'spawntable' somewhere that can be used on bookshelves, or added to book vendors for example?)

Your scripts sounds like a great idea, with lots of possibilities :)

Liacs

Sorceror
@Tylius:

You have to have at least one page written in the book. When you give it to the publisher, he gives you a copy which has the exact date on it when it was published (when you gave it to him) and he gives you some money.
The book is written to a file in the folder: data/books/ so when you next time restart the server the publisher has it on his SB-Info and sells it.

You can republish a book, rewrite everything in it and give it again to him. He will give you a smaller amount of money and replace the old book-file by the new one so again the next time you restart, he has the updated version in his Buy-Info.
He will also see when you try to give him a book that was already published, and not by you :D

The book SB-List can contain I think 20 books, so if more books are published, they will be taken randomly.

Every other publisher that you spawn will sell the books in that file. So you can really spread them through the shard quite nicely.

I love this system. But just for the record again: I didn't write it originally. I just put in some stuff. I don't know who originally created it.

I hope this helped you a little :)

Don't work too much!

Lia

Pyro-Tech

Knight
The books that are sold don't display the actual publish time...it did something wierd

for example, i published one at 4:10, and just bought one 20 minutes later of the same title, and it says it was published at 23:10

it may do this to the date too....not 100% sure. But i love the idea behind this.

Only other problem is the possibility of people using this as a way to farm gold

Liacs

Sorceror
hmpf, having the same thing here. But the date is right at least :)

I will look into it...

Thanks for the info.

For the gold farming thingy: you can check in data/book/xy.htm, which char made a book and with what content. So if there is just shit standing in there, tell the char to stop or ban him/her :)

Or take out the money stuff. Should be quite easy (as it was quite easy to plug in :D).

Lia

Pyro-Tech

Knight
it is great system.

is there a way for the books to be stored better? it seemed like it was some random file name/serial when i went to go look at a book that i tested.

HomeDaddy

Wanderer
Sounds like a great idea.

I have some suggestions, that may be to difficult to impliment but I'll throw them out there and see what people think.

What do you think of the idea of the Publisher NOT paying the player for the book, but instead the players account is credited a certain amount of gold for each copy that is sold. This could be an account held by the Publishers so you go back there to collect your gold every now and then like existing vendors. Or alternatly, the gold could be sent directly to the players bank. I preffer the account idea so that you actually check back and can see how your book is selling instead of the gold simply appearing in your bank.

Another enhancement could be to allow this publisher to also handle runebooks. So people can create a compilation of valorite nodes for example, and publish the book for sale. I think this would also benifit from a rating system, so that once you have purchased a book you can rate it, so that future book buyers can see if it is a worthwhile read, or just a pile of crap.

Also the 20 book limit would need to be worked on, perhaps with catagories for the books to be entered under, mining runebooks, skill training how-to's, wealth building, etc.

Let me know what you think.
HDy

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i like the idea of book sales and going back periodically to pic up a portion of the gold and what not....

I think the book publish/edit dates of the sold copies need's to be fixed though also :confused:

Liacs

Sorceror
I am still working on this :) Give me some time here... As you know I am quite new to scripting, but I am trying my best :D

Who can take care of HomeDaddy's wish? I am happy with how the system works now :D

Alari

Wanderer
This is a pretty awesome system. One feature I'd love to see is a way to have bookshelves spawn books in Data\Books. (If not already possible) Also, is there a way to [add a random book? I glanced at the code but haven't had a chance to examine it extensively.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
Alari said:
This is a pretty awesome system. One feature I'd love to see is a way to have bookshelves spawn books in Data\Books. (If not already possible) Also, is there a way to [add a random book? I glanced at the code but haven't had a chance to examine it extensively.

you wouldn't think it would be too hard to do a random spawning bookshelf...that would be great for a library type thing though :)

you could prolly take segment of code that handels the selling and what not

nomad707

Knight
cool system.. it just seems like you would have to have a somewhat bigger playerbase for this to come into any use at all.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
prolly do.....and a group diverse enough to write some truly good books

another option that would be good to add in is an ability to ban accounts from selling books to the publisher....that way if someone is caught abusing the system, you can put a stop to it.....or at least a deterant