RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 Questions about custom maps

moonrune

Wanderer
7 Questions about custom maps

Hi. I made a test shard in my computer (runuo 1.0) to learn about how to change and make some scripts. Now i am making custom maps and testing, i have some questions. Sorry if some of this questions sounds a newbie question.

1) Which are the appropriate measures to do a map of each map in UO? To travel with a boat without need of deep alterations in the server files. I wish to make a custom map and wrap in a point to other of the same facet. I wish to avoid the "black area"

2) In what file of the server I do find the configurations of each map? I wish to change the names of each facet and set / unset them capable to mark a Rune.

3) Does exist a file or files that define the area of each city in a server? could I edit, alter or rename the places to adjust my needs?

4) In heaven i find a OSI quest to Paladins, giving you a magical tool telling the closest city and moongate. Where does this tool seek this information? I thought about to alter and to use as a different tool or magic item, but with the direction of important monsters and special dungeons for a custom map. I can use this to make a base of a new script :)

5) Because it is not possible to use boats in Tokuno and Ilshenar maps? (sorry, i never played a OSI shard). I can change this?

6) In an old topic, someone said that 5 maps exist for each facet. one for each season and other one devastated. This is true? and I need to chance the name of each version of this map or give 5 versions of the same world map? (thinking in using a custom map, not OSI/default ones).

7) Which are the maximum dimensions of each map? (X, Y and Z)

Thanks =)

1) Which are the appropriate measures to do a map of each map in UO? To travel with a boat without need of deep alterations in the server files. I wish to make a custom map and wrap in a point to other of the same facet. I wish to avoid the "black area"

i forget the wrap numbers - but most map making software has the overall numbers pre set (i advise you use them) - like OrBSydia DevNet uo landscaper (supports both ml and non ml size maps)

2) In what file of the server I do find the configurations of each map? I wish to change the names of each facet and set / unset them capable to mark a Rune.

this is a loaded question
mapdef in misc is 1 spot - but also must do a core change and xml file changes, etc - there is a ton of places where the names have to be changed
for marking, etc there is a "table" in skillcheck (or one of the other ones in the same directory of skills/base) and you can set true/false for those locations listed
for other ones would have to modify the mark spell itself

3) Does exist a file or files that define the area of each city in a server? could I edit, alter or rename the places to adjust my needs?
yes - the regions aml file (2.0) and same file plus one in the engines area i believe )will have map names and dungeon, etc in the names) for 1.0

4) In heaven i find a OSI quest to Paladins, giving you a magical tool telling the closest city and moongate. Where does this tool seek this information? I thought about to alter and to use as a different tool or magic item, but with the direction of important monsters and special dungeons for a custom map. I can use this to make a base of a new script :)
i do not know off hand - i woi=uld look in the items script to see - but probably the xml file

5) Because it is not possible to use boats in Tokuno and Ilshenar maps? (sorry, i never played a OSI shard). I can change this?
i believe that can be modified in the boat scripts themselves with placing them

6) In an old topic, someone said that 5 maps exist for each facet. one for each season and other one devastated. This is true? and I need to chance the name of each version of this map or give 5 versions of the same world map? (thinking in using a custom map, not OSI/default ones).
there are 5 seasons for each map - not 5 versions of each - they chust change a few itemid's around on the map for each season
you can not have 1 map searve for all 5 maps (actually 4 maps - tram/fel is same - unles 6.0+ version then messed up anyways) - they have to be the right sizes or many things will not work right
but you can have multiple facets of the same map - i.e. "map" 6 is a copy of map one with different season and name

again the software you use for them tell this - also in mapdef it tells it also for each one
z is basically -124 to +124 but really only usable for design from -90 to 100

hope that helps

HellRazor

Knight
moonrune;687779 said:

To change where world wrapping occurs you want to take a look at the scripts in scripts/multis/boats. The world wrap functions are in those scripts.

scripts/misc/mapdefinitions.cs contains the names and physical dimensions of each map.
data/regions.xml contains the regions for each location on each map.

data/regions.xml

You'll need to find the script for that particular tool and take a look at how it works.

Yes. Take a look at the boat scripts (see above).

The "seasons" are determined by a particular packet sent to the client. You can make any of the maps any of the seasons. See mapdefinitions.cs.

The map sizes have to be the same as the "standard" map sizes or the client won't know how to deal with the new sizes and will crash.

Also, be aware that there are files commonly referred to as the "dif" files that patch stuff into the map at runtime. You'll want to rename or delete those files or your client will display map pieces overtop of your custom maps.

The new versions of the client are doing away with "dif" files and don't use them. The new versions of the client are also splitting Map0 (Trammel and Felucca) into 2 seperate maps (Map0 and Map1, they used to both use Map0).

Tranmmel/Felucca
(Pre-Mondain's Legacy) 6144 x 4096
(Beginning with Mondain's Legacy) 7168 x 4096

Ilshenar
2304 x 1600

Malas
2560 x 2048

Tokuno
1448 x 1448