RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Free Program That Will Help Most Admins

Courageous

Wanderer
I should say, if you don't know how to use ssh tunnels (or a real vpn), you should probably stay away from vnc. And for a windows box, just stick with RDP. It's more efficient anyway.

C//

Courageous

Wanderer
This is true, but what needs to be understood is that one really, really should use some form of encryption.... one way or the other. VNC is very easy to install, and most default installations are wrong and highly insecure. RDP is secure by default, so if you're doing windows-to-windows, go with that unless you want to configure VNC properly. For unix end points, a correctly configured VNC session is your main choice. If one can't handle that for some reason, then buy a commercial release of RealVNC.

C//

floppydisc

Sorceror
Most linux distros also ship with a terminal server client which has even support for RDPv5. So there's always enough choice :)

Courageous

Wanderer
floppydisc;694270 said:
Most linux distros also ship with a terminal server client which has even support for RDPv5. So there's always enough choice :)

Really? I didn't know that. Which software is that, and do you know... is there open source RDP servers that can be run on Windows boxen? I'm really tired of buying Terminal Server CALS for our shop.

C//

Tylius

Sorceror
Fixxxer;684207 said:
https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

This is another good program with very small download, access your computer from any other computer, blah blah blah. This is what I have been using and I have no problems with it at all.

Logmein is by far, the best one I've ever used for windows, ease-of-use that is, very handy when on someone elses computer and you need to access it, no need to remember IPs or install another program

floppydisc

Sorceror
Courageous;694310 said:
Really? I didn't know that. Which software is that, and do you know... is there open source RDP servers that can be run on Windows boxen? I'm really tired of buying Terminal Server CALS for our shop.

C//

On client side I use the "Terminal Server Client" frontend (gnomepro.com · tsclient) with the rdesktop backend (rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol client). I don't think there's an open source (or otherwise freely available) RDP server for windows. For *nix there is the great NX server by NoMachine (and the open source FreeNX) to allow remote desktop sessions and building thin clients. But I'm not aware of any similiar servers for windows. UltraVNC is nearly the best I've encountered so far, as it does not only allow encrypted connections but also has a display mirror driver which makes the recognition of changed areas on the desktop much easier.

Courageous

Wanderer
floppydisc;694389 said:
On client side I use the "Terminal Server Client" frontend (gnomepro.com · tsclient) with the rdesktop backend (rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol client). I don't think there's an open source (or otherwise freely available) RDP server for windows. For *nix there is the great NX server by NoMachine (and the open source FreeNX) to allow remote desktop sessions and building thin clients. But I'm not aware of any similiar servers for windows. UltraVNC is nearly the best I've encountered so far, as it does not only allow encrypted connections but also has a display mirror driver which makes the recognition of changed areas on the desktop much easier.

Floppy,

The issue I have with VNC session management is that you have to run one server instance per distinct desktop session (or at least you do with the ones I've tried). How does Ultra handle this? I can't tell easily from their pages? Anyway, I'd love to find a way to both get away from buying the dreaded Terminal Server CAL and ALSO not have to get my fingers dirty with management overhead.

C//

floppydisc

Sorceror
Courageous;694406 said:
Floppy,

The issue I have with VNC session management is that you have to run one server instance per distinct desktop session (or at least you do with the ones I've tried). How does Ultra handle this? I can't tell easily from their pages? Anyway, I'd love to find a way to both get away from buying the dreaded Terminal Server CAL and ALSO not have to get my fingers dirty with management overhead.

C//

I'm not sure about this. From that explaination (UltraVnc Vista support) I would say they at least know the concept of multitple sessions, but they seem to only use it for the Fast User Swich feature. UltraVNC is opensource, so maybe you can modify it yourself ... the foundations seem to be there (Windows Domain authentication, Session management, etc.).
With *nix as server, FreeNX is the way to go. But I don't think the Windows world knows anything besides Microsofts own RDP - maybe due to patents.