RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Pandora's faq forum in same format as RUNUO faq forum

slida

Wanderer
A Pandora's faq forum in same format as RUNUO faq forum

I guess the title says it all, I posted this idea in another forum, but this one seems to make more sense. Forgive my spamming.

I can barely use Pandora's Box, and there is very little information about how to do things with it. I find the RUNUO faq forum and its format(of everyone contributing small posts about how to do things) works very well. It is an evolving database of information that no one person has to spend a lot of time producing. Anyway, I thought this would be the best place to post this.

Thanks to Irro and co.(or is it all Irro?) for attempting to add an oasis of support in this desert that is UO emulation.:)

slida

Wanderer
Well, it might be straight forward if you already know what's going on, and I am decent at figuring out how to do things on my own, but I really can't do much of anything except move myself around on the map and add items. I can't figure out how to change the settings to allow remote access for instance. I click on different tabs and there are a lot of blank text spaces for parameters or instructions that I have no idea what to do with, or what they even mean.

The reason I have requested this is that I don't really feel that I even know how to ask the questions that I have, they are too numerous. The truth is is that I don't even use it, at all, to do anything, because anything that I know how to do with it, I can do by other means just as easily, but it is trumpeted by many to be this really amazing program, so obviously I am not able to utilize it to its potential.

This program has zero support, and since all of these programs are made by hobbyists essentially, I don't expect any one person to spend time writing a comprehensive tutorial, and I don't want to waste people's time asking a bunch of stupid questions. All I need are examples and I can extrapolate from there. Since I foolishly decided to delve into this world, I have found 2 very useful forums. The RUNUO FAQ, and the XMLSpawnerFan 'How do I...' forum. I have also found your project to be helpful, and I really,really appreciate your efforts to provide support without arrogance and being condescending, which is a huge problem around here. I am not stupid, lazy, or a teenager, but there are certain problems that cannot be solved without the proper information and finding that information around here can be extremely tricky. As you know, computers are very unforgiving and inflexible and you have to know the exact syntax to be able to tell it what to do.

A Pandora's box FAQ is needed. Period. Regardless of my own particular needs and wants. One person doesn't need to do all the work for it, but I think you have the ability to cause a Pandora's FAQ forum to come into being, and it should just take care of itself after that. The RUNUO developers should realize that these other programs are an integral part in what they are trying to do, and the more support that exists will just increase their base of followers. RUNUO does not stand on its own, you need other programs to utilize it to its fullest. My opinion is that they should also develop these other programs themselves and support them, they should have a spawner, a map builder,a gm tool etc, that all works in conjunction, and is all supported.

Anyway Irro, I appreciate you trying to help, and the more of these FAQ forums that exist the less energy you will have to expend trying to solve one individual's problems. I don't expect you to hold my hand and guide me through every issue. I personally have never tried to learn how to do anything before this that has had such scattered and sparse information. This is a real wasteland.

irro

Page
Alright, but the features of PB are too numerous to mention. I will make a tutorial on the fundamentals of PB, and each section. I believe that is the best way to help everyone.

Ill try and have it done today.

Also check out the UO Controler post that I made yesterday, it may help you.

ewalsh

Wanderer
I completely agree with you slida. I have had pb on my system for months and have not used it in any way other than placed deco items. It's a total loss to me as well. As far as the Box Server -which is part of pb - it completely crashed my shard, I couldn't even start the shard back up and had to start from scratch again. With that said - I'm a bit sketchy as to using any of pb's abilities. If there was a "tutoral" per say - I might be tempted to try and learn a bit about it...I feel your frustration.

slida

Wanderer
Irro says:Alright, but the features of PB are too numerous to mention

I was aware of this, that's why I had trouble trying to come up with questions to ask about it. I wasn't suggesting that you or any other person sit down and write a tutorial, since that's a time-consuming and probably pretty boring project. Thank you for doing it, though, it is needed.

I was just hoping you'd set up a forum where people who know how to use it could post examples of how to do certain things, and there would be some sort of knowledge to draw on, which theoretically would lighten the workload of people like you who are so willing to help. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.:)