RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A simple idea...

greywolf79

Sorceror
A simple idea...

I would think this would be a simple idea, but I tried the simplest way... I would like to install a second copy of Mondain's Legacy onto my pc. I play a shard where they have customized their client packages, but with my shard I am building I do not yet have the customs that require those changes. Anyone know how I can do this? I tried to just install it again, but it said there was already a copy on the system and would not allow me to pick a new folder to place it.

GreyWolf.

greywolf79

Sorceror
Only one user on this pc... I use it for pretty much everything. I need to be able to install it 2 times on same user so I can play my shard and the other shard at same time. Anyone know how to do this?

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
So why not just make a new user? And why do you need to play both at once?

greywolf79

Sorceror
Because I often gain inspiration for my shard from what others have done, plus I like to talk to some players while building my shard... Though I do not see really how it makes a difference. I simply want to install 2 sets of ML on the same user on same pc. Does anyone know of a way to do this or am I stuck giving up one shard?

GreyWolf.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Start > control panel > users > creat new user

and you can install.

The registry prevents you from installing it multiple times.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Or you can do what I do. have two copies and and just rename the one you are not using to whatever. Might seem a hassle, but it hasn't been a big deal for me.

HellRazor

Knight
When you install UO, it writes the UO installation path to your system registry and it uses those entries to know where to read the rest of the client files from.

Aside from using something like ConnectUO, an easy way to have multiple client installations is to make a .reg file for each UO installation. .reg files get written to your system registry, you would make .reg files that change the install paths in the registry to read whatever location you want the client to read from. So one .reg file might be "OriginalUO.reg" and the other might be "MyCustomUO.reg". And to switch clients, all you have to do is double click them.

Tru

Knight
Actually for your shard you can copy the nessecary files and point DataPath.cs at that folder. This would only help for running a shard with different files not actually playing a shard with a different client.

greywolf79

Sorceror
Ok, what about using a second client that is a different version? (like installing UO:KR onto the system)... Could I keep my current install and have the new version install too?

GreyWolf.

------ EDIT ------
It will install kingdom reborn with ML already installed. Now to see if I can run KR with my shard... I am somehow doubtful, I use 2.0 RC1.

HellRazor

Knight
You can have both UO:KR and the UO 2D client installed at the same time. They are independent of each other.

If you want to run 2 different VERSIONS of the 2D client (for instance one for OSI and one that is customized for a shard) you can use the registry trick I posted to switch between the 2 copies.

HellRazor

Knight
You can't use UO: KR to run your shard or to connect to your shard. RUO doesn't support KR.

You can use whatever 2D client install you want for your shard, just define where the files are located in datapath.cs. For the server, you don't even need the entire client installed. At the top of datapath.cs are listed the files that RUO needs to run.

For the client, FOR USE AS A CLIENT - you can install UO:KR and the 2D client and they will run independently of one another. If you want to install more than one copy of the client TO RUN IT AS A CLIENT then you can use the registry trick I posted.

I think that covers every possible interpretation of what his question is?

Alex21

Sorceror
uninstall one and just keep the files RunUO needs in the folder, then you can play using the customized one.

greywolf79

Sorceror
Optimal would be to be able to play at one time both clients. But if that is not a possibility, then being able to play one then switch to the other relatively quickly would be best. I will try to use the method with changing the datapath file and what not to get 2 copies running. I just need a clean install and the patched install. I cannot get it to install a fresh copy without deleting the patched version.

GreyWolf.

Vhaldir

Sorceror
#Trolling in boredom, sorry..
FYI, it IS possible to support UO:KR with a few core modifications (and packet knowledge).. I have done so with my own modified core ;)