RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Athiests will enjoy this

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Basically, Dawkins defends aethism and offers some very good points.

I have watched the whole thing.

Broadside

Wanderer
I got 7 mins into it and it started feeling like church. I am athiest but its not worth listening to all of that. Besides my boss likes to preach and i always question what he says i do that everyday till he shuts up.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Still watching it. In the first 20 minutes, three people ask almost the same question about morality.... I have to admit that it is interesting, but not entertaining. So far that is.
Amount seen so far = 22:24

Edit - At about 30 minutes in, this guy asked a really stupid question about the "mind".... I found that part entertaining.
Amount seen so far = 30:56

Edit2 - This girl asks a question at about 46 minutes in that is so stupid..... Not only that, but he had answered almost the same thing at the very start of the video. I thought this was at a college? Funny stuff. Oh, and after that she asked an even dumber question.
Then another lady asks a question that is extremely stupid 51 minutes in.
Amount seen so far = 53:04

Edit3 - At 61 minutes in, a guy asks a question about 3,000 year old dinosaur fossils. Wtf?
Amount seen so far = 65:43

Kiwi

Knight
I think atheism can be just as bad as any religion...

It's not wrong to try and understand more about the world; science is good. To make a leap and state a fact on whether there is or is not a god, is quite stupid. And I'm not talking about Creationism... we all know that's old and out. The simple fact remains that no matter how much science we uncover and the more we learn about the universe, there will always be more unknowns and behind those can exist a higher power.

My point: who the fuck knows? Nobody. This is why agnosticism is for the win. Don't know, impossible to know, so don't fuckin' worry about it.

Oh yeah, video is pretty interesting, but I have a low attention span so I'm taking it in minutes at a time.

Bleach

Knight
Kiwi said:
I think atheism can be just as bad as any religion...

It's not wrong to try and understand more about the world; science is good. To make a leap and state a fact on whether there is or is not a god, is quite stupid. And I'm not talking about Creationism... we all know that's old and out. The simple fact remains that no matter how much science we uncover and the more we learn about the universe, there will always be more unknowns and behind those can exist a higher power.

My point: who the fuck knows? Nobody. This is why agnosticism is for the win. Don't know, impossible to know, so don't fuckin' worry about it.

Oh yeah, video is pretty interesting, but I have a low attention span so I'm taking it in minutes at a time.
I love you.

Slayer706

Sorceror
I just finished it. It was very interesting, but it is too bad so much of his time was wasted by stupid questions. At least 5 of the questions weren't even worth answering. For those of you who don't want to watch the whole thing, some of the stupid questions were:
"If God doesn't exist, then how come almost every religion refers to God as a male?"
"If God doesn't exist, how do you explain intuition?"
"How can you believe in extra-terrestrial beings of higher intelligence, and not believe in God?"

To make a leap and state a fact on whether there is or is not a god, is quite stupid.
I kind of agree with you, on a condition. You cannot rule out the existance or non-existance of a God, but you can decide for yourself whether you find it probable. I do not deny that it is possible a God exists. But like the guy in the video said, just because you can't disprove something doesn't make it anymore than the slightest bit possible.

I am now going to predict the future. Seriously, I am writing something down a piece of paper and I WILL reveal it when the time comes. And it will.

EDIT - I just sent myself a PM with my prediction. That way it can be proved that I made it.

Malaperth

Wanderer
But like the guy in the video said, just because you can't disprove something doesn't make it anymore than the slightest bit possible.

And that, by itself, is exactly why Kiwi's statement is true.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Exactly. But I believe that it is highly improbable that God exists. I know there is a possibility of it, but I also know there is a possiblility of an infinite amount of other things. That is why that condition is needed.

Malaperth said:
And that, by itself, is exactly why Kiwi's statement is true.

Yup, Kiwi basically said exactly what I would have said ... only you wouldnt have been able to tell what I was saying most likly. Im not exactly gifted with words. oO

Kiwi

Knight
You know, we can even break this down into the multiple meanings that the word "god" holds (even all within the same religion), but this discussion has been beaten to death for years and years. Religion is just another aspect of life that, in an ideal society, wouldn't exist. Much like the notions of race, etc. Labels are bad, mmkay?

Malaperth said:
No, labels are necessary, it's how Man perverts labels that is the problem.

K now I gotta disagree with you, I cant see any real use in labels at all. The only thing they do( in my eyes ) is set people apart from everyone else, make them different, outcast them. Even if this is a pervertion of them, if we didnt pervert them what would we used them for? Honestly?

Malaperth

Wanderer
Ahhh, see, that's my point, we all are different, otherwise, things would really suck. It's the labels that were never meant to be hurtful etc, that are the problem, and that is something that Men did.

For example, do you know the origin of the "N" word? Slaves were kidnapped from the Niger River Delta, and there were signs put up advertising "Nigers" for sale. The people of that time were so ignorant that they couldn't pronounce it, and then somewhere along the line, someone added another 'g' to it and totally messed it up. Bottom line, the whole thing was based on stupidity.