RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"bad server adress" message

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
"bad server adress" message

So, I recently moved and have a new isp. I had to re-instal uo and razor and now I cannot login to my server. I enter the server adress and port in the razor box and click ok. Then I get a bad server adress message saying that "the server adress you entered could not be resolved". Any ideas on what could be going wrong. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

is the server on the same computer as you are playing from?
if so use 127.0.0.1

also make sure you are using the correct port number - normaly 2593

also if you are patched on osi to 6.0.14.2+ then you have to be using the newest svn to connect
and the newest razor also of course

but knowing where the server is at, runuo vwersion of server, osi patch of server and client and the OS you are using can all make a big difference on what is causing it

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
I'll explain the problem in more depth. Server is defiance and not my own server. I use razor. When i open razor the server adress is and always has been dfi,defianceuo.com and port is 2593. I click ok and contineue. This is where I get the Error box. "Bad server adress" is the headline and the message in the middle of the box is "The server adress you entered could not be resolved" I click ok on that and get to uo login screen. Enter my information and I get the unable to authenticate your login information. I know I enter my info right and make sure caps lock is off.
Far as I can tell there are very few who know anything about this, if anyone and I have never encountered it before as well.Any ideas?

what OSI patch are you using?
have you patched on OSI since you last where there?
have you checked their web page to to see what OSI patch they are using - need to be the same - they may have patched and you haven't
also maybe they are temporally down also, their web page could answer that also

it may be them that made changes, and now you have to

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
nothing has changed since my move. Only isp and new router. Everything I have researched for this problem points to the router firewall. I tried allowing port 2593 and dfi.defianceuo.comas the server sdress but still had the same result. This is really getting frustrating now but I do appreciate the help so far. I heard you can bypass the router and connect straight to the net with the modem or something but I am not sure how to do that or if it was even good advice.

all the router does is be the "modem" for many computers
if you only have 1 computer on the modem, the router is wasted, cannect directly to it

have to checked with your ISP to make sure they are not blocking that port for some reason?

Lord_Greywolf;813665 said:
all the router does is be the "modem" for many computers
if you only have 1 computer on the modem, the router is wasted, cannect directly to it

have to checked with your ISP to make sure they are not blocking that port for some reason?
That's funny, I remember someone with a very similar username to yours and even a similar signature once saying that an ISP can not legally block ports. And then adamantly standing by that statement after being proven wrong.

Before doing anything else make sure your port isn't being blocked by your router or any software firewalls (ie the one windows comes with). If you have a router, you really have no need for software firewalls, so turn that shit off completely.

With the change in ISP, I wouldn't rule out DNS issues, try pinging dfi.defianceuo.com as its on a different server than the website. If you can't ping it, try changing your network connection to use a third party DNS server like openDNS (link), even if only temporarily. Most DNS hiccups get fixed fairly quickly.

will you shut up about that stuff - is that all you can do is make nasty comments about people
I almost think that you are Phatom renamed with the way you act with bashing/bad mouthing people

That only applies to A TRUE ISP - and IT IS THE LAW IN THE US - do your full research, and not the mom and pop sites like snoopes (it is a couple running it - nothing official there - it does not mean a thing)
ACTUALLY talk to a corporate lawyer that deals with internet law, and you may be suprised what you learn
The term is based just like, Incorporated, LLC, MD, CEE, etc etc, if you use it, you must abide by the rules associated with it

ISP in general terms is what people use here, and that is what i was saying instead of typing out the "your internet network provider"

SOOOOOOOO Please forgive me MR. Anti-Basic for taking the short cut and using the generic term instead of taking the time to type it all out completely, and also forgive me for the other insults that i also did not take the time to type out

Lord_Greywolf;813681 said:
will you shut up about that stuff - is that all you can do is make nasty comments about people
I almost think that you are Phatom renamed with the way you act with bashing/bad mouthing people

Wasn't bashing you at all, I just found it extremely funny that the person going around saying that the term is wrong is using it himself. You really need to calm down.

That only applies to A TRUE ISP - and IT IS THE LAW IN THE US - do your full research, and not the mom and pop sites like snoopes (it is a couple running it - nothing official there - it does not mean a thing)
ACTUALLY talk to a corporate lawyer that deals with internet law, and you may be suprised what you learn
The term is based just like, Incorporated, LLC, MD, CEE, etc etc, if you use it, you must abide by the rules associated with it
Umm, when did I ever link to snopes? I linked to Cox' website. And speaking of sources you have yet to provide a single source. I'd love nothing more than to see you provide me with an actual codified U.S. law stating what you claim. BTW, those terms define who can buy/trade stocks and shareholder liability, those terms arent even remotely similar [/QUOTE]

look up the FCC's Net Neutrality - it is what is controlling them
even Comcast was ordered to unblock the ports and other stuff they did, that have i think it is until December something to do it - they tried to fight it and lost
the courts upheld the FCC's ruling on it and their power over the ISP's

I asked for an actual codified law. Very little legislation regarding net netreality has passed, the one I think you are referring to is H. R. 5417
Making it unlawful to block specific content is not the same as making it unlawful to block a specific port:/ Comcast was doing much more than just blocking the ports customers had used for bittorrent, they were actually performing deep packet inspection so that they could detect the protocol itself regardless of port used and throttle (not block) it. The 2006 act wasn't to prevent them from doing that specifically, but to prevent them from doing the same thing with commercial services like skype which would prevent competition for other services they provide (Digital Telephone). Competition is protected by law, use of a port is not (and competition in this sense isn't necessarily contingent on specific ports being blocked/open) Not to mention, customers agree to the port blocking in the service contract, blocking specific services is not so they were doing something without the consumers consent) the unthrottling of bittorrent was just a healthy side effect to protect commercial services like skype/hulu etc.

It's actually quite scary how few of these bills have passed. And in none of them do I see any laws regarding port blocking or whether or not they can be called an ISP.

Admin God

Wanderer
Aye, it would be nice if they did something more towards net neutrality. Sounds like the chairman of the FCC is at least somewhat sympathetic and motivated enough to propose legislation towards anti-throttling. Of course there's a big difference between wanting to do something and actually doing something. Money talks. :-/

Topic: AB is most likely correct about a possible DNS issue. However for future reference, if you want to connect your computer directly to your modem. All you would have to do is plug an ethernet cable from your modem directly into your computer. Make sure your computer is setup for 'obtain an IP automatically' (dhcp) unless you are paying for a static ip from your ISP. If you have a static IP go ahead and enter that info in on your computer instead.

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
Back on my original topic

here is my traceroute. My isp says everything is fine. and that it is my computer having trouble resolving the domain name. So the saga continues....

ok here's a traceroute of what is going on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\DOCUME~1\DAVID>tracert dfi.defianceuo.com

Tracing route to dfi.defianceuo.com [78.129.245.135]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms myrouter.home [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms L100.LSANCA-VFTTP-93.verizon-gni.net [98.119.108
.1]
3 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms G2-2-993.LSANCA-LCR-09.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
29.56]
4 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms so-4-0-0-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.28.72]
5 13 ms 12 ms 11 ms 0.so-6-3-0.XT1.LAX9.ALTER.NET [152.63.10.153]
6 13 ms 14 ms 12 ms 0.so-5-1-0.XT1.LAX7.ALTER.NET [152.63.116.253]
7 18 ms 12 ms 14 ms POS6-0.BR2.LAX7.ALTER.NET [152.63.112.145]
8 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 204.255.169.90
9 90 ms 89 ms 90 ms if-4-0.mcore3.NJY-Newark.as6453.net [216.6.84.2]

10 90 ms 92 ms 92 ms if-2-0.mcore4.NJY-Newark.as6453.net [216.6.57.18
]
11 170 ms 167 ms 179 ms if-1-0.mcore3.L78-London.as6453.net [195.219.144
.9]
12 165 ms 164 ms 164 ms if-1-0-0-1656.mse1.LRT-London.as6453.net [195.21
9.144.34]
13 191 ms 281 ms 164 ms if-13-0-0-3.mcore3.LDN-London.as6453.net [195.21
9.195.21]
14 164 ms 177 ms 164 ms Vlan1254.icore1.LDN-London.as6453.net [195.219.1
95.90]
15 164 ms 175 ms 176 ms ix-12-3.icore1.LDN-London.as6453.net [195.219.83
.6]
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 166 ms 167 ms 166 ms 78.129.245.135

Trace complete.

C:\DOCUME~1\DAVID>nslookup dfi.defianceuo.com
Server: myrouter.home
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dfi.defianceuo.com
Address: 78.129.245.135

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
i read somewhere, where you can clear your dns cache and a couple other caches and that might resolve the problem, as we had a server move in the last fewmonths as well.Is this accurate and how would you go about doing this?

you moved the server?

which one? UOR or AOS?

but anyways.......

having made a fresh move of a fully spaned map from one computer to the other I found problems with both RUNUO and Sphere servers. RUNUO was the easier to fix.

Have you checked your serverlist.cs to make sure it reflects the new IP address?

Redo it anyways.....

Have you ported your routers to incoming traffic?

Redo it.

Are you on a new router? With new numbers? Are you hiding behind multiple MAC addresses so it is sending even you a spoofed IP address?

Hit reset on your router and start fresh. Load the how to set up router web pages first.

Are you on a new computer and if so are the file paths the same?

Check the file path structure.

The list of questions do go on.

LEARN TO READ MAN........... at me not you.

dfi,defianceuo.com and port is 2593 wrong

dfi.defianceuo.com and port is 2593 right

also if you are patched too high you cannot connect. ask on their staffie forums what the correct version number is.

check the box for client encryption in razor. no checkie, no playie.

delete razor completely, it often has a buggy install especially if loaded before UO. Do a fresh install of RaZoR

see if you were banned. sudden banning of staff members is something some shards are known for.

what security package are you using? turn it off. no one cares what pron you surf and how leet your gaming skills.

Admin God

Wanderer
Lakotadfi;814342 said:
i read somewhere, where you can clear your dns cache and a couple other caches and that might resolve the problem, as we had a server move in the last fewmonths as well.Is this accurate and how would you go about doing this?

Start -> run -> type 'cmd' -> OK
type 'ipconfig /flushdns'

Lakotadfi

Wanderer
Thanks for all the help guys. I still get that same message when I am on wireless but when i plug an ethernet cord into the router everything is fine.

*note I got my computer back from the manufactureer totally wiped and restored to factory settings. downloaded uo client and razor only and tried it on wireless first and got the same message. So in all honesty i think my router is whacked out, And it is on multiple computers so this leadss me to believe this. Anyway I am resigned to use an ethernet cable for my uo purposes. Thanks again guys.