RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

David

Moderate
Bono on Christianity

I was going to post in a recent thread where the subject of Christianity and behavior of Christians was being discussed. However that thread has moved on to other topics. So this is my extension of the previous conversation.

I am participating as the local technical director in a three day worldwide conference for church and business leaders delivered via satellite. A few minutes ago they concluded an interview with Bono, the lead singer of U2.

He discussed his attempts to use his celebrity status to promote the cause of ending the AIDS crisis and other "manageable" issues. During the course of the interview he made some comments I found interesting regarding his views on Christianity.

Bono said:
I never had a problem with Christ; Christians on the other hand I have had a lot of problems with.

I grew up very suspicious of Christians, but determined to learn more about Christ.

I truly hope that (the principle of) Grace is real because I am depending on it—if we are depending on karma I am in a lot of trouble.

What defines us in the kingdom (of God) is how we treat the poor and the sick and the imprisoned.
The conference overall has been nothing short of impressive. The various speakers have been compelling and educational but everyone I spoke to at the lunch break says that Bono was the most moving by far. (And yes a couple of their songs were played as recorded during a live performance.)

He wrapped it up with another thought for all Christians that I think I will add to my sig.

Bono said:
Stop asking God to bless you; find out what God is doing because it is already blessed.

discuss.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Well, I have always been comfortable with anyone that believes something different. Lots of people aren't though. From my experience, in America, it is mostly Christians that are the the most unaccepting. I think it is because they are the biggest religion in America, so it is more common to be around other Christians. Other religions however, have to deal with being different on a daily basis, so they are more understanding.
This doesn't apply to all Christians, I am just saying that I hate it when any topic of faith, religion, God, evolution, or atheism comes up in a conversation with most of my Christian friends. It always turns into an argument about how I am going to hell or whatever. With my Jewish or Muslim friends, it is a discussion about why people think that way. Thats just my opinion based on my experiences though.
I just don't understand the drive Christians have to convert everyone to their religion.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
...because we think you're going to hell, and we'd rather you didn't?

In all honesty, is it a crime to attempt to save someone from getting tortured? I would assume not, so voila, this is why we have "a drive to convert everyone to Christianity" [paraphrase].

On the other hand, most of my Christian friends are not up-in-your-face if you believe something else. Granted, there are lots of Christians who see the Great Commission as a mandate to go and drag people to Christ, but this is not the pervasive method of evangelism (nor is it all that effective).

My evangelism is my life. I will not attempt to drag you to a church. Unless you *ask* why I believe something, I won't do anything to force you into believing it. If you do ask, I will explain. If you don't understand, I will explain again as many times as necessary. If you don't see it the way I do, that's fine. The sad truth is that not everyone will be a Christian.

Lysdexic

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK said:

And I thought only God was supposed to be able to make that judgement...

Religion is too hypocritical, hence why I have no religion. I only have my beliefs and ideas, which are the only things required.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
It's a hypothesis based on the principles of Christianity and the current mental state of the one to whom that was addressed. Ya, we're not supposed to judge...but I'm not *judging*, I'm saying "If you step onto I-40 at rush hour, you'll probably get hit by a car. You probably shouldn't do that."

ASayre

RunUO Developer
I thought you were talking about Sonny Bono at first, and that confused me because he tried to play chicken with a tree.

(Okay, that was tasteless, but 'eh :p)

Johabius

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
That would make a great slogan for commercials about going to church.

Come to church, because we think you're going to hell, and we'd rather you didn't!

Joeku

Lord
Lysdexic said:
Says it straight in the Bible:
John 14:6 said:
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
If a person isn't "saved", then he/she is not getting to heaven in the Christian belief. It's not "judgment", it's fact. Even then, "judging" in itself is not against God's will; only when done so in the wrong form(s). Read this website to understand more: http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/Judging.html. I do so love it when non-Christians speculate on what Christians can and cannot do. Please, for the benefit of all who read your posts, get your thoughts straight.

David

Moderate
TMSTKSBK said:
Very well said actually.

To make a point again which I have made before, "bible thumpers", the guys that stand on the street corner and yell at cars or get in your face at the mall annoy me as much as they annoy you. They are the exception and not the norm of Christianity. And as TMS said I doubt they are very effective--yet at least they do have passion going for them. Even if they do not manage to lead one person to Christ, they are making the effort.

Jesus actually gave us very few directives; one was to "Go into all the world, and give the good news to everyone." Evangelism is a basic tenet of our belief. If you have friends that are trying to lead you to Christ--I assure you it is out of a genuine concern for your well being.

David

Moderate
Lysdexic said:
TMS's statement was an opinion, not a judgement. I think you are male. God is the one that made that judgement as well.

Rosey1

Wanderer
TMS, David and Joeku, I couldn't have said it better myself and I agree with you guys.
I think like you do TMS, I'll explain if you ask, if you don't agree, you don't agree, we can agree to disagree :)

Slayer706

Sorceror
Well thats fine. But instead of saying "Convert now or forever burn in hell!", why not actually ask the person if they want to convert? Afraid they will say no? Does noone convert to the Christian religion unless they are threatened by eternal damnation? Of course they do, so why even use eternal damnation when trying to get someone to convert?
Christians have to remember, they think I am going to hell, they don't know. It is based on faith. If I have faith in another being or no being, and someone comes up says "You should follow my God instead, because your path is wrong and you'll go to hell.", well frankly that is just plain stupid. What gives them anymore knowledge of the Earth's creation than me? Has it ever occured to them, that I have already heard of one of the biggest religions on Earth and didn't want to follow it? I think everyone knows about Christianity, I don't understand why people can't make their own decisions about this kind of thing. After all, it is faith.
Not only that, but I have never seen a Christian that didn't freak out when someone asked them to convert to their religion or invite them to a mosque.

In all honesty, is it a crime to attempt to save someone from getting tortured? I would assume not, so voila, this is why we have "a drive to convert everyone to Christianity" [paraphrase].
Sure it isn't a crime to scream "Your going to hell!" to everyone who disagrees with your theory about man-kinds creation, but it really doesn't make people feel all warm with God's love either. I am just saying that the conversation should go more like this:

Non-Believer: Hey, whats up?
Christian: Nothing much.
Non-Believer: So, your a Christian? That is cool.
Christian: Yeah, faith in the Lord has really changed my life.
Non-Believer: Sounds like the right path for me! How could I join your faith?

Instead of:

Non-Believer: Hey man, you're a Christian? That's cool, but I never really had much faith in the Lord before.
Believer: You should get some, you are going to burn in hell forever without any.
Non-Believer: That is a pretty rude thing to say.
Believer: Well it is true! The bible says you will burn in hell!
Non-Believer: Like I care what some 2,000 year old book says, besides you don't know!
*Argument continues without going anywhere, both people get pissed off, and neither ever speak again.*

A little exaggerated in the first one, but the second one is about right on par with how the conversation always goes with me.

If you have friends that are trying to lead you to Christ--I assure you it is out of a genuine concern for your well being.
Really, I am beggining to think more and more that they believe they will get extra points with "the big man upstairs" if they convert someone.

I know these people are probably a minority, but I guess I see a lot more of them because I live in the Bible Belt.

Johabius

Knight
I actually had a good conversation with a couple of Mormon's a few weeks ago out doing missionary work in the community. Don't really know what this has to do with the conversation, but just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone thinks I'm a complete heathen:D

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Wow, Slayer, you must not have read my post at all :rolleyes:
Somehow I don't think you got the point I was trying to get across.

David

Moderate
@Slayer:
Well if that is truly the attitude and impression you get then on behalf of Christians I offer my apologies. I sounds like the people you are interacting with are the young in the faith types. It is a wonderful time in a sense because you are all fired up and alive with your new-found relationship, but the side effect of that is that you want to go out and share it with everyone you meet without much training or experience. Again though, at least they have passion.

The comment about Christians think you are going to hell--I can understand your point. But it is a matter of without Christ I think you are going to hell in the same way that I think you will go splat if you jump off of a 10 story building. In the here and now, neither is fact, true. But to me the results are equally a given.

bzk90

Lord
I don't see why christians feel the need to come to my house uninvited and try to get my family to convert...it's worse than natural male enhancment spam...

TMSTKSBK

Lord
bzk90 said:
I don't see why christians feel the need to come to my house uninvited and try to get my family to convert...it's worse than natural male enhancment spam...

me said:

extratext.