RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

bzk90

Lord
WarAngel said:
Why does everything have to be run by the government when it could perfectly well be run by a private organization (and probably tens times as well, as we've seen from FEMA)?

Simply opposing views on how things should be done. You obviously believe in as little government interference as possible where as I believe that most things should be managed by the government.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:
Because our tax dollars go to them, and we should see some benefit from them. If the government doesn't do anything for its people, what is the point in having it?

Or we could just let it be privatized and not spend our tax dollars on a beauracracy that can't manage anything and leave only the most important things to them.

@bzk: Why in God's name would you want a bureaucracy to run everything? Seriously. I don't want some political response. Just tell me why you would want a beauracracy to run your country.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Yeah, but that isn't how the U.S. government works right now. They are putting their noses into everything these days. I have always just wanted for them to leave me (and my guns!) alone.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:
Yeah, but that isn't how the U.S. government works right now. They are putting their noses into everything these days. I have always just wanted for them to leave me (and my guns!) alone.

Exactly. We need to get them to change. :D

bzk90

Lord
because having a single entity manage something is much more efficient (in theory, obviously there are variables) than having several entities managing seperate projects.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Ok.
Yeah.
bzk. You're insane if you want the government running everything. They do a poor enough job with what they have now...
"Single entity" notwithstanding, they fubar everything. Can you imagine how bureaucratic the US would be if EVERYTHING was run by the government?

WarAngel

Wanderer
It's not more efficient even in theory. We don't have one single university that everyone goes to because it would end up bogged down spending more time on organization and paperwork than actually teaching or managing the university.

In a country that needs emphasis on the little details but has three hundred million citizens, one entity can't handle it in the least bit.

*EDIT*: Have you ever read or seen The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The Vogon's are a perfect example of a bureaucracy. In order to anything, the Vogons must first consult their lists of millions upon millions of rules and regulations, and strictly follow every piece of legislation down to a perfect t. They follow so many rules and regulations in fact that all they do is create new rules and regulations.

Slayer706

Sorceror
because having a single entity manage something is much more efficient (in theory, obviously there are variables) than having several entities managing seperate projects.
Completely false. I don't think you have ever typed anything this false before. Why do you think assembly lines work so well? More people working on more things gets stuff done, not a bunch of people tinkering on one thing forever because they can't agree on how to do it.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
And we all know -- a pencil does one thing, but it does it very well. This is what we need the government to be like. Small and efficient.

Can we </hijack> now?

bzk90

Lord
WarAngel said:
It's not more efficient even in theory. We don't have one single university that everyone goes to because it would end up bogged down spending more time on organization and paperwork than actually teaching or managing the university.

In a country that needs emphasis on the little details but has three hundred million citizens, one entity can't handle it in the least bit.

You're right we dont have a single university that everybody goes to. Heres an example to clarify what I was trying to explain with words. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with transfer schools so this might not help.

When you transfer from one school to another your classes dont transfer. Instead you have to reselect which classes you want. If you were taking algebra 2 at the old school and the new school uses an intergraded math system you will end up taking geometry and algebra 2 together as one course. This is bad, especially if you have already taken geometry. If you were taking wood shop at your old school and the new school doesnt offer it, you might end up taking home economics. Get where I am going with this?

Wouldn't it be much easier if the available courses and the curriculum of those courses were the same nation wide?

Having a system that is centralized IS better.

Im not saying you cant have 1000 colleges, Im saying those colleges should connect well.

I know some smartass is going to point out that colleges are unique and specialize in certain fields...I understand this and it was just a loose EXAMPLE.

bzk90

Lord
That example is real life...

If the goverment controlled the education system I wouldn't have had to take home economics...sewing...

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Most colleges don't have that problem. Most programs will accept transfer credits, provided that the institution is one that they respect.

School districts, which are VERY run by the government, do.

WarAngel

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
Most colleges don't have that problem. Most programs will accept transfer credits, provided that the institution is one that they respect.

Which is logical, as some schools just aren't as good as others.

If the goverment controlled the education system I wouldn't have had to take home economics...sewing...

That right there shows that you have no idea how the education system works. The thing a lot of anti-big government groups have been working against is even MORE government involvement in schools.