RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

David

Moderate
Looking at the failure of the two government run shelters in New Orleans I would question that stance. However I live in Gulf Breeze Florida, a small city on a peninsula between Pensacola and the Gulf of Mexico. The shelter I suppose would be the High School, but the entire area has mandatory evacuation requirements at a Cat 3 or 4 storm. No one really goes to a shelter, we tuck tail and run. The role of the church after a storm is to provide water and food for rescue/relief workers -- actually we pretty much open up to give lunches away to anyone. A hot meal can be hard to find for days or weeks after a big storm. We also work with the city government to go take pictures of anyone's house who requests it. (The idea is that will cut down on people returning too early.) So it really is not a government should be doing this kind of thing.

Johabius

Knight
I can honestly say, that without churches, and church-goers, the world would be a less compassionate place. We have been helped out by my wife's church many times when we had the need.

David

Moderate
Thats the point I am trying to make in defense of organized religion. It is the organization that enables wide spread or long term care for the community. The local church should be a place of an outpouring of care and compassion, i.e. God's love.

What I have observed is that single unaffiliated churches are far more likely to go off the deep end and turn out zealots that want to bring back the crusades.

I do not deny that the idea of religion has been manipulated by groups or individuals who see it as a means to control people. However looking back historically, three nations come to mind where religion was suppressed by the state; China and Russia under the Communist regime and Germany under the Nazi regime. I doubt anyone here would prefer that to a guy on the street corner waving a bible at you.