RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bugged Server Restart After Unhandled Exception is Thrown

thedavil

Wanderer
Bugged Server Restart After Unhandled Exception is Thrown

Hi,

I have an idea, how to improve restarting of RunUO server ...

It would be great, if:
when choosing "restart", runuo server runs another instance, processing compilation and load of the world. (As it goes now)
But - the original instance does not ends, it waits for creation of "restart.log" /like crash.log/ or error return and after that, if restart was successful, original instance ends, new instance opens listen ports and woa-la! Here we go and running world! In case there was an error, new instance ends and old instance goes on with sending of message (World can not be restarted).

I am experienced programmer ... so I know this can be simply done through EventLog, registry or file, an app can be run with parameters, it can return an error number if fails ...

Geo, Manawydan.CZ
---------------------------
- Where is that lava boulder going?
Wait! That lava rock can walk!!!

This post did give me a pretty good idea actually even though the thread got closed. Basically after a script throws an unhandled exception the server will attempt to restart, but fail because the original window with the crash output is still open, thus causing another exception to be thrown by the runuo program. I think it would be nice to fix this bug in RunUO similarly to the suggestion this guy made above. Only on unhandled exceptions though, there's absolutely no point I can see for implementing the idea he posted. I run my server on a 400 Mhz computer and it takes less than a minute to restart.

-Davil the Dark
AEther Storm Shard