RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CentrED

floppydisc

Sorceror
CentrED

It's time for a new project of mine to be revealed.
Ladies and Gentleman, I hereby announce
UO CentrED
a Client/Server based map editor.

UO CentrED Website

Please post your opinions and suggestions here and/or in my forum.

More features (as mentioned on the website) are still to come. So stay tuned! :)

Rhexis

Knight
This looks very promising. Ill be trying it out and posting back with more well formed opinions/feedback.

Rhexis

Knight
First impression
- cedserver immediately closes itself on first run. Required going into a cmd prompt and setting up the config via start/b..which Im not a wizard with dos so this took a few minutes of 'wait...wtf am I doing...?'
- the client feels somewhat unpolished. I see what you're going after and it is functional..Im just slightly spoiled by the map editor punt has out that I usually use for this sort of editing. But having the feature of letting someone else join me in the program more than makes up for it. (thats not me bashing your program..thats me anticipating future features..I swear!) I just think the gui/tools needs a bit of work to be more intuitive.

Also - a way to easily see what someone else is doing, or to skip to the screen they're viewing? Along with an undo button...?

floppydisc

Sorceror
Rhexis;700405 said:
First impression
- cedserver immediately closes itself on first run. Required going into a cmd prompt and setting up the config via start/b..which Im not a wizard with dos so this took a few minutes of 'wait...wtf am I doing...?'

In contrast to the client I mainly maintain the server in its linux variant. But you may be right: a simple "Do you want to create the config now? (Y/N)" should do the trick.

Rhexis;700405 said:
- the client feels somewhat unpolished. I see what you're going after and it is functional..Im just slightly spoiled by the map editor punt has out that I usually use for this sort of editing. But having the feature of letting someone else join me in the program more than makes up for it. (thats not me bashing your program..thats me anticipating future features..I swear!) I just think the gui/tools needs a bit of work to be more intuitive.

Can you give some examples what you imagine could be handled another way? I thought the way I designed it is already userfriendly (being able to just select the tool you want from either the menu or right click, then immediately having the options for that tool and also being able to do area commands by just holding the mouse pressed).
Maybe if I offer a tutorial or some other kind of manual it would help too.

Rhexis;700405 said:
Also - a way to easily see what someone else is doing, or to skip to the screen they're viewing? Along with an undo button...?

Undo is a bit complicated. But I will think about it. A list of connected users and a way to jump to their current position is planned together with the integrated chat.

Thanks for your feedback. Such criticism keeps the development going :)

SiENcE

Sorceror
I suggest to create a history for the undo process.

something like a list:

1. 4 tiles removed
2. pos x,y,z 1wall
3. ...

and show this list to all Editors. Users can now select and jump directly to the changed position.

HellRazor

Knight
Perhaps some means to shut down and restart servers and to copy/rename the map files would be useful. That way people can work on the map and when they are ready, move it over to the server.

floppydisc

Sorceror
HellRazor;700515 said:
Perhaps some means to shut down and restart servers and to copy/rename the map files would be useful. That way people can work on the map and when they are ready, move it over to the server.

To shutdown the server one can simply Ctrl+C it's window or us the command from the Admin-Menu. The rest is - as far as I can see - already on the list (look at the section "Future" on the CentrED Website). If you meant something different, just try to explain it with an example :)

SiENcE;700506 said:
I suggest to create a history for the undo process.

something like a list:

1. 4 tiles removed
2. pos x,y,z 1wall
3. ...

and show this list to all Editors. Users can now select and jump directly to the changed position.

Nice idea. That will be done together with the undo system. Probably something like: "admins can undo all, normal users only their own changes"

Thanks for the interest in this project :)

floppydisc

Sorceror
Version 0.2

I just packaged and released version 0.2.

These changes have been made to the client:
  • Added client list
  • Added ability to jump to other clients positions
  • Added chat
  • Added support to add hued tiles
  • Added tool to hue existing tiles
  • Added automatical movement while the movement arrows are pressed
  • Changed tile info shown when hovering (more details)

And these changes have been made to the server:
  • Added timestamps
  • Added storage of clients last position
  • Changed win32 version to no longer require "--init"

... as well as some internal fixes and changes.

I hope this makes working with CentrED even easier :)

starfox45634

Wanderer
this sounds like a great program. but im unable to test it because it just hangs at the connecting screen for awhile and takes me back to the original part. but it does show it connected to the shard.

floppydisc

Sorceror
starfox45634;703121 said:
this sounds like a great program. but im unable to test it because it just hangs at the connecting screen for awhile and takes me back to the original part. but it does show it connected to the shard.

It isn't meant to connect to RunUO. There is the CentrED client and the CentrED server. They can only work together.

floppydisc

Sorceror
Version 0.3

Fresh coded, compiled and uploaded: the new release of CentrED.
It was a bit of hard work (I worked on it nearly every day for the past two weeks), to bring you some glorious and hopefully helpfull new features.

Client changes:
  • Added large scale commands
  • Added (re)storing ability of Random-Presets
  • Added Location list to store coordinates
  • Added radar map
  • Added virtual layer
  • Added fields to directly enter values to the Boundaries and the Hue settings
  • Added left-click menu to the selection tool (pops up after holding the left mouse button for a second)
  • Added hotkeys (F1 to F8, one for each tool)
  • Added new access levels (None [= locked] and Viewer [= can only see the map and chat])
  • Fixed problems with the Move-tool
  • Fixed some memory leaks and several other bugs
Server changes:
  • Added support for the new client features
  • Changed config file: REFER TO THE INCLUDED UPGRADE NOTES!!!
  • Fixed the netcode handling (that could have lead to crashes in some cases)

SiENcE

Sorceror
True :). This kicks ass.

I'm thinking of something like a 2d grey heightmap where you can paint with an semi-transparent brush (size scaleable). This changes the height of the map and depending on the height, an initial Tile-ID is selected. Like: 0 water, 1-20 grass, 21-40 rock aso.

What i want is an easy way to make holes or mountains to the terrain. No big deals only a way to draw for example nice looking Bezier mountains.

It would be a great feature for the upcomming Iris - Online shard project.
possible?

floppydisc

Sorceror
SiENcE;705684 said:
True :). This kicks ass.

I'm thinking of something like a 2d grey heightmap where you can paint with an semi-transparent brush (size scaleable). This changes the height of the map and depending on the height, an initial Tile-ID is selected. Like: 0 water, 1-20 grass, 21-40 rock aso.

What i want is an easy way to make holes or mountains to the terrain. No big deals only a way to draw for example nice looking Bezier mountains.

It would be a great feature for the upcomming Iris - Online shard project.
possible?

Thanks, but I think this is a bit beyond the idea of this program. Something like this fits more into the Genesis project.

Barn Hermit

Wanderer
Ive been using your muleditor for the mapeditor since it was released and now use this program as well, they are both awesome and all I use for map editing these days.

Big thanks for all the effort you have put into them and for sharing them with the community they've made my job a lot easier :)

Galdar

Sorceror
OMG this is so cool. The ability to have 3 or 4 ppl all editing on the fly in the same enviroment.... DAMN DUDE!!!!

floppydisc

Sorceror
Barn Hermit;706066 said:
Ive been using your muleditor for the mapeditor since it was released and now use this program as well, they are both awesome and all I use for map editing these days.

Big thanks for all the effort you have put into them and for sharing them with the community they've made my job a lot easier :)

Thanks, it is always nice to hear that these tools are of use to the community :)

Galdar;706253 said:
How can I edit the Z value of the tiles in here?

There is a tool in the toolbar named "Elevate" (hotkey F4). That can be used to modify the Z value of tiles (either relative or absolute).