RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Client Character Creation

Pravus

Sorceror
First I'd apologize for my lack of expertise. Its been about six years since I helped a friend with the development of his shard so I'm pretty green regarding current development tools and methods.

That said, I understand that applications like UOFiddler and GumpStudio have the capability to modify client files but I'm not familiar enough with either program or the 2d client's file structure to be able to figure it out myself yet.

What I'd like to do is patch functionality into the classic client to allow players to choose custom races other than the three currently implemented (I plan to keep the three current races but I'd like to add extra race selection buttons to allow the creation of extra races I've defined in my RunUO server code). Is this possible and, if not, does anyone have any suggestions for clever ways to allow for race selection once a player has "finished" character creation and loaded on to the server that wouldn't seem too confusing to a novice freeshard player?

Jeff

Lord
I dunno how to help you, but Gump Studio is a server side gump creation tool, not client side, juts thought i'd clear that up.

HellRazor

Knight
There is no way to do this via the official client, that stuff is all hardcoded into the client and is not configurable.

You will need to script a race creation system. You can either have something like a "race stone" that the player clicks to select a race, or you could have a script that is called upon character login (personally I prefer method 2, I always hated the idea of an in-game "race stone").

With method 1, you would want to place the race stone somewhere near the starting point for the character, or in a room that they can not exit unless they have picked a race. They click the stone, it calls your race creation gump, and after race is chosen, teleport the character to an appropriate start location.

With method 2, you can call the script upon login, have it check for your custom race property on the character, if no race has been selected from your system then call the gump, let the player select one of your custom races, make whatever changes to the character that are needed to support your race system, set the property so the scipt is not called next time he logs in (since race is already selected), and then teleport the character to an appropriate starting point in the world.

If you search the forums you can probably find a few race systems written by other users. I like Lokai's Custom Race Class system but there are others as well. Or you can just write your own.

Pravus

Sorceror
You're right, Jeff. Thanks for correcting me. I realized my mistake a few hours after I made my post :oops:

Thanks for the response, HellRazor! I particularly like your second suggestion. That seems like a much more elegant solution than the overused "race selection portal room" or race stone!

HellRazor

Knight
You're right, Jeff. Thanks for correcting me. I realized my mistake a few hours after I made my post :oops:

Thanks for the response, HellRazor! I particularly like your second suggestion. That seems like a much more elegant solution than the overused "race selection portal room" or race stone!

Yeah, I really prefer to make it seem more like its just a part of the client character creation, plus you get it out of the way right up front and the player doesn't need to figure out what he/she needs to do.

On login, if the character has no race set, I move them to a "black" area on the map, frozen and muted, and they remain that way until a race is chosen and set - then the gump sends them to the starting location.

Of course it still sucks that they have to go through the client character creation and then go through it again, but short of a custom client I don't see any way around it.

Pravus

Sorceror
HellRazor said:
Of course it still sucks that they have to go through the client character creation and then go through it again, but short of a custom client I don't see any way around it.

Are there any custom client projects that would allow for something like this? I've heard of UltimaXNA and Iris2 but I was unsure of their capabilities and stability.