RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Client doesn't seem to want to exit?

Liath

Wanderer
Client doesn't seem to want to exit?

Hi!
For some reason, the client seems to take up around 75-99% CPU when I log out and quit the client after playing for 10+ minutes or so. Also, alt-tab/alt-enter seems to lock it up. The memory usage fluctuates a lot while it is like this (when I can actually open the Win2k taskmanager)--somewhere between 140MB and 260MB. I can't get drwatson to trap any errors, so i have no clue :confused: And to top it off, sometimes it is temporary (like 1-8 minutes) and sometimes I can go to work and come back and its still eating the CPU alive. When I can get to the taskman, I've tried messing with the proccess priority class, but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever :(

My system specs are:
1.7Ghz Intel Celeron
512MB ddr RAM
SiS mobo (cant remember model and I just got off work so I'm lazy)
GeForce 4 MX440 AGP 8x video
SiI 0680 ATA/133 with C:(80GB) at UDMA-6 and D:(20GB) at UDMA-4
Onboard IDE (Holds DVD/CDrw combo drive and 53x cheapo CDROM)
SiS 10/100 NIC
Soundblaster PCI 128 (Ensonique)
Mobo has onboard sound, but disabled.

I have the latest drivers for all components, so i don't think it would be a driver issue, and drwatson cant find anything wrong with the system when I can actually get it to run (sometimes Client.exe just wont let me see anything--screen sticks black, or takes up so much mem/cpu that I cant even get the taskman to run)

If there is some kind of core logging feature, or maybe a memory limit setting to test out, let me know, and I'll probably have some info for you soon :p

Liath

Wanderer
Some more information on this... I noticed today when it did the "nice" background lagigng (so I could use the taskman) that it fluctuates around whatever it was when you exited, then after a *while*... the memory usage counts down to about 70MB then it finally closes.

Liath

Wanderer
Erm... maybe I was not wording it correctly :p The cpu usage is like that when I hit quit in the client and it is supposed to have terminated.
I'll edit the original post :D
[update]
Edited the main post, an dbolded the log out and quit part to make it stand out so its not confused with normal operation of the client
[/update]

zero

Not Nice
Depending on how much memory you have (watch task manager memory usage level as well) every once in a while use the task manager (right click on task bar, task manager) and goto processes, select client.exe and terminate the process and wait until it's gone. Then start the client again. You have to do this every once in a while because of memory usage issues.

Liath

Wanderer
well, played for about an hour and this time the client took about... 10 minutes to close when I logged out. Didn't lock me up though. If I'd alt-tabbed, or alt-entered the client, it probably would have gotten bad :(
it did the usual 180MB, hung around there for about 5 minutes, then the memory usage slowly went down toward 0 before it actually 'quit' the task.
maybe it has something to do with a memory leak, or the way it gives resources back to the system? no clue though i'm not a programmer, except a littl ebit of scripting here and there (waiting for a scripting engine :D )

Back again.
This time I think i have an *idea* of two things they might be causing it!

Scenario #1: Walked around for a while, and mined away from houses that I knew were around. Did this for about 3 hours--yeah I'm bored!
Client had almost no delay between exiting and the client actually closing.
(130 MB, about 3 minutes for the client to die)

Scenario #2: Loged in with my ranger type, and ran around killing shit, and got near as many houses as possible... noticed after I got tired+ bored that on my way home, all the houses were still on the map! The client isn't unloading the houses from memory from the looks of it. tested it out by recalling and gating around to different areas and walking back to my house, and noticed that every house that I'd passed was still there on the map on the way home. So, my only guess is that the client isn't unloading the houses and even perhaps all the items in the houses which gives me a good idea of what could be wrong! Some of these houses probably have about 2-8MB worth of crap in them....
(230 MB, about 12 minutes to die, and Astonshell fightin to refresh the screen the whole time :( )

Dipset

Wanderer
Ive also been having problems with PlayUO closing it's process after exiting. 75% of the time I have to close its process using Task Manager, and even then it takes awhile for it to close, and my computer really starts chugging along.

ditmar

Wanderer
Same problem here, 99% cpu usage after quitting PlayUO had same problem with previous version. I noticed it because I started hearing my fan because my CPU was heating up, normally I don't hear it.

Liath

Wanderer
What is interesting is that I don't seem to have 99% CPU usage when I'm actually *in* the client.... Odd behaviour

Liath

Wanderer
I hope someone is looking into this one :p Quit PlayUO so I can check this site, or uog:hybrid and have to wait 5 minutes for the taskman to respond well enough to right click and end process, then another 1-2 minutes for windows to tell me it can't cause it is no-longer a valid process (since it munched so much CPU that taskman doesn't recieve that client.exe actually terminated and continues trying to kill it :( )

Dipset

Wanderer
If you wait a few min after you exit the client, then end the process it usually works fine. I also noticed that if you right click it in the taskbar and close it that way it works will close easier.

Liath

Wanderer
thing is, I cant play windowed. The client runs like DIRT if I do (prolly since I only have an nVidia 440MX....)
the killing from taskman works... just is aggrivating. still worth the effort considering the normal client, no matter how many machines, or how many installs I've tried, crashes non stop (something to do with sound I guess, even if I have it off or have all acceleration turned down?)
Once this client has the memory leak(s) fixxed, and more graphics cards are supported, it will open UO up for many people that can't use the normal client due to low-end machines... I just hope that kriios doesn't get bored with it before it is done! I've seen SO many alternative UO clients go down the drain like this :(