RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Client.exe ASM

Praxiiz

Sorceror
My goal is to find a way to force the client to reload map data at an arbitrary time.

Does anyone have any extensive experience in disassembling the client? I've been working through sections of it a little at a time in Ida Pro, trying to find where it loads map data after it updates the player's position.

If I change data in one of the memory-mapped map files (map0.mul), I see no immediate change on screen, but after moving away and coming back, I can see the change. I would really like to find a way to force the client to reload that part of the map immediately.

Darkling89

Wanderer
Sounds like the client loads sections of the terrain at a time and when you move offscreen and then back on screen its forced to load that section, Which means that there probaly isnt an update function for terrain just a load function. First step would be finding that function and try changing the conditions required for it to load a new part of the map.

I might look into this some when i get the time, but dont cross your fingers :p

Also, may i ask the reason you need this? Realtime map editor perhaps?

Praxiiz

Sorceror
It does appear to load sections of the terrain at a time when you are moving. I was lucky enough to run across part of the linked list it uses and I was able to watch it add and remove nodes in Cheat Engine (while I was moving the client around), but I am still working on deciphering the linked lists. They have multiple pointers going to different lists, and seem to have some very peculiar rules. I know there must be some kind of ruleset for them, but deciphering it takes time.

The reason I need this is to be able to edit maps in real time, but also to make a malleable world where players could alter the terrain under certain circumstances. I.E. mining lowers terrain after a certain amount of time mining in one spot