RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusion about maps.

Syn316

Wanderer
Confusion about maps.

Alright mates...
I've read around and I think my head is about to explode, or implode. one of those. If I missed a faq or sticky, please point me in the right direction, otherwise I have *cough cough* a few questions please. I am still attempting to get Runuo running on my vista, so I can not try this out at this time to confirm.

1. Any custom map must be the same size, and the same file type (map0, mul0) as an existing map. Be it a custom map of tram / fel, or malas, correct?

2. isn't fel a facet of tram? I read they use different maps now...How the blazes does that work? Can you now have different tram / fel maps, with different facets of each??

3. When creating an aditional facet of a map. it uses the exising map files, just with a different name and season? (No additional files?)

So if #3 is correct, My head ex/im - plodes....

What the heck stays the same and what changes. I hear people talking of the possibilities of using facets for more varitey. But isn't everything the same? once you freeze something on one facet of the map, it is going to be on all of them right? houses / spawners / items of interest, they'd all go into the same file for that map. Maybe I overlooked the obvious, and sound like an idiot (imploding heads do that), Been a few years since I ran a server (and jsut started playing again)....please be gentle.

edit: Just before i posted I thought If fel and tram were facets of the same map, houses do not get copied. Man I feel like a noob again.

Jeff

Lord
Syn316;787545 said:
1. Any custom map must be the same size, and the same file type (map0, mul0) as an existing map. Be it a custom map of tram / fel, or malas, correct?
Correct
Syn316;787545 said:
2. isn't fel a facet of tram? I read they use different maps now...How the blazes does that work? Can you now have different tram / fel maps, with different facets of each??
EA seperated the maps, there use the be a Map0.mul accompanied by Diff files, that would change the statics on each facet. Recently they added a Map1.mul which is trammel.
Syn316;787545 said:
3. When creating an aditional facet of a map. it uses the exising map files, just with a different name and season? (No additional files?)
You can only have 5 maps, Map0 - Map4, you can make instances(facets) of each of these maps to your hearts content(in reality you are limitted, but im not sure what the max value is)

Sythen

Sorceror
Any custom map must be the same size, and the same file type (map0, mul0) as an existing map. Be it a custom map of tram / fel, or malas, correct?
Yes you are absolutely correct - all maps have to be compiled into [.mul] files and all maps must be the same size as their counterparts... so if you're replacing Tokuno which is 181x181 then your Tokuno replacement also needs to be 181x181

isn't fel a facet of tram? I read they use different maps now...How the blazes does that work? Can you now have different tram / fel maps, with different facets of each??
After client version 6.0.0.0 EA split the maps apart. The maps are now Map1and Map0. They are both the same size and they are both copies of each other (1 is Trammel and the other is Felucca), but they are now seperate and map makers can now view them as seperate and therefore make individual maps for each.

When creating an aditional facet of a map. it uses the exising map files, just with a different name and season? (No additional files?)
Take a look at the MapDefinition.cs - seasons dont matter, but the name does... your choices are limited to Map0, Map1, Map2, Map3, Map4, Map5 and their corresponding sizes. Unless EA adds another facet all we can use are the 5 facets already hardcoded in the client. However we can clone any facet... make an exact duplicate an infinite number of times but your map numbers have to start with Map32, Map33, Map34 etc...

Syn316

Wanderer
Thanks for the info,

so now you can have 5 custom maps instead of the previous 4 cause of tram /fel sharing the map?

Edit: I mean they no longer share a map so 5 is possible. Double edit, Sythen posted as I was. so this is answered.

HellRazor

Knight
Jeff;787547 said:
You can only have 5 maps, Map0 - Map4, you can make instances(facets) of each of these maps to your hearts content(in reality you are limitted, but im not sure what the max value is)

Jeff (or anyone) - so essentially if I define several facets of the same map in mapdefinitions.cs then the items and mobs I place into each facet are only in that facet, right?

Its kind of a dumb question I know - but although I knew this could be done but have never actually played with it and I don't know anyone else who has either - so just thought I'd ask for clarification. This might be handy for the creation of instanced dungeons, etc.

HellRazor

Knight
Sythen;787548 said:
Take a look at the MapDefinition.cs - seasons dont matter, but the name does... your choices are limited to Map0, Map1, Map2, Map3, Map4, Map5 and their corresponding sizes. Unless EA adds another facet all we can use are the 5 facets already hardcoded in the client. However we can clone any facet... make an exact duplicate an infinite number of times but your map numbers have to start with Map32, Map33, Map34 etc...

Note that this is a limitation of the UO client. A third party custom client could get around this limitation and allow unlimited custom maps, in theory.

Jeff (or anyone) - so essentially if I define several facets of the same map in mapdefinitions.cs then the items and mobs I place into each facet are only in that facet, right?

Its kind of a dumb question I know - but although I knew this could be done but have never actually played with it and I don't know anyone else who has either - so just thought I'd ask for clarification. This might be handy for the creation of instanced dungeons, etc.

yes - anything that is not frozen will be different on the 2 maps

items frozen to the map (become part of the statics file) will show on all of them

so yes you can have 2 tram maps, and spawn them as different as you want
also seasons for each as you want
and map rules as you want also
(so can have an evil tram)

so you can now have 5 different looking maps, with 5 different seasons each and 2 rulesets for each of those
so that is 50 facets, with out even going into different spawners

i believe the limit would be probaly 1024 - 32 + 5 (32 because custom ones have to start at 32, +5 for the original 5)

but the real limitation is more in memory and server speed
all that stuff has to be saved each world save, stored in memory, etc

Syn316

Wanderer
so you can not have 5 different looking maps, with 5 different seasons each and 2 rulesets for each of those

I think you meant you CAN HAVE. Wholy shimmering Facets batman!!!

Syn316

Wanderer
After looking around and finding the new map sizes and what not.

Is the only differance between ML maps and pre-ML maps the fact that there is now more "dungeon space"? the actual "world" area is still the same, with more room for dungeons on the right of the map.

ETsCat

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;787560 said:
yes - anything that is not frozen will be different on the 2 maps

items frozen to the map (become part of the statics file) will show on all of them

so yes you can have 2 tram maps, and spawn them as different as you want
also seasons for each as you want
and map rules as you want also
(so can have an evil tram)

so you can now have 5 different looking maps, with 5 different seasons each and 2 rulesets for each of those

i believe the limit would be probaly 1024 - 32 + 5 (32 because custom ones have to start at 32, +5 for the original 5)

/ but the real limitation is more in memory and server speed \
\ all that stuff has to be saved each world save, stored in memory, etc
/

OK I understand the above. Question I want to know -- Can you set up a gate from one shard to a different server/IP ?
:confused:

HellRazor

Knight
ETsCat;826250 said:
/

OK I understand the above. Question I want to know -- Can you set up a gate from one shard to a different server/IP ?
:confused:

No one's done it yet (or if they have they have never publically released it) which should tell you something. :)

Its possible in theory but definately not out-of-the-box, you would need to do a whole lot of custom coding of a somewhat complex nature.

ETsCat

Sorceror
HellRazor;826251 said:
No one's done it yet (or if they have they have never publically released it) which should tell you something. :)

Its possible in theory but definately not out-of-the-box, you would need to do a whole lot of custom coding of a somewhat complex nature.

In the SVN I suppose? I can code, but REALLY hate doing so.
:cool:

HellRazor

Knight
ETsCat;826260 said:

No, this is not available in any version of RunUO, you would need to write the entire thing from scratch.

I don't think it can be done with server side scripts alone, I think something would need to be done clientside as well

It wouldn't be easy, and could have security issues as well

ETsCat

Sorceror
ETsCat;826260 said:

OK this is what I want todo, I have about 15 computers, And at least three fast enough to run a shard, I want to gang these to provide at least 10 custom maps. That means a dual shard with one section running on one server and the other running on the second server. :confused:
But on to other things. I reciently set up 2 maps, one for tramel, the othere for fell. PROBLEM. All the cities are covered with trees and grave stones. :mad: If I reset fell to tramel rules will the fix? or is there a file that needs removing.?:confused:

gravestones is the season - devestation in the mapdef file (0=spring, 1=summer, etc 4=deveastation)

if there are trees in the cities, sounds like yiou have messed up static files - or ones made for a different map

if using a custom map, you need to either make "empty" static files or the map creation program you used, need to have it make static files for you based on the teriegn (most to that automaticaly)

as for linking the servers like that, would not really be possible
the biggiest problems is save files, with the serial numbers for items, etc - can not link the 2 systems for it correctly, and transfer stuff over from one to the other

this has been discussed it great detail in other threads, it would be a total rewrite from the ground up of runuo and would need to be more like OSI servers that use sectoring, etc

Jeff

Lord
Lord_Greywolf;843845 said:
as for linking the servers like that, would not really be possible
the biggiest problems is save files, with the serial numbers for items, etc - can not link the 2 systems for it correctly, and transfer stuff over from one to the other

this has been discussed it great detail in other threads, it would be a total rewrite from the ground up of runuo and would need to be more like OSI servers that use sectoring, etc

Actually its quite doable. You would just need to setup a packet proxy from one server to the next. You would need some custom packets so that if an item on Server A got created, it would get created on Server B, each server would have to have a lookup table for matching serial numbers from 1 server to the next. It would be a bit of work, but it is 100% doable without any modifications to the client itself.