RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Creator" property on items made with staff comman

Ingvarr

Wanderer
"Creator" property on items made with staff comman

Such property will make it a lot easier to track items made in case of staff corruption or simple staff mistakes.

Maybe make it a staff serial? Thats will be just an additional 4 bytes.

Or add serial of item/mob created to command logs, thats will serve it too. Currently logs for [add commands have no serials of item created.

krrios

Administrator
I suppose it's worth considering. There's a few gotchas to think about though--like spawners; how should that property be set for items spawned by them?

Ingvarr

Wanderer
I dont think its needed for spawners much. My primary concern was staff tracking, this is often needed.

Of course you always can follow the basic guideline - that its always set to object which matches best the "creator" term. Then you always can parse by type what object was that (spawner id for spawned, playermob id for command, and so on).

Quantos

Lord
You could always just keep a real close eye on the log, that will show you tweaks as well as what they create.

Ingvarr

Wanderer
Quantos said:
You could always just keep a real close eye on the log, that will show you tweaks as well as what they create.

I know that. The problem is that you can see in log that item was (illeggaly) created but its hard to track that item.

BTW I think that "ToString" function for base item and mob class must be simply expanded to include serial as well. Item description is pretty useless in logs - its doesnt hold reference to actual item, only to type of that item. If it will include serial, every log line that references item or mob will include serial too.

Quantos

Lord
Which items do you want to track?

Armor?
Weapons?
Jewelry?
Clothing with attributes?

How many types of items do you want logistics on?

I'm not asking to be a smartass, I'm serious.

Ingvarr

Wanderer
If you dont know, every item is already trackable by serial, the serial just isnt written to command logs (only item name is). Also 4-byte property same to serial (creator) cant add any significant overhead either. It will be used only on item creation and in item search equations, same as serial used now.

Quantos

Lord
Actually I didn't know that. Sounds like it might be a good idea. I would need to hear a few more arguments, but it's not me that needs convincing anyway :)

David

Moderate
krrios said:
I suppose it's worth considering. There's a few gotchas to think about though--like spawners; how should that property be set for items spawned by them?

Well, if the property is at the Item class level, then the Spawner itself would have the property as well. Spawned Items could inherite the value of the property on the Spawner. Although, thinking further, Spawners may be a special case; perhaps the serial of the last person to edit the Spawner or better yet each Item entry in the list carries the serial of the last person to edit that entry.

(By the way I like the idea.)