RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Artwork How-To

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Has anyone received any error reports?

Every time I attempt to save
Artidx.mul and Art.mul.. MulPatcher crashes. As much as I'd love to add new artwork to my server; I'm beginning to think that this is a waste of time. I've had nothing but constant crashes with MulPatcher, despite following every step to the letter.

Not really sure what is causing the crashes... the crash report generally doesn't tell me anything. Most of the time; just clicking around in the program causes it to lag out and crash.

For the record; these issues are not stemming from my system. Clearly, this program has a number of problems not yet recognized. Maybe someone has a more "up-to-date" version of MulPatcher? I downloaded mine from: UO Tools

Sorry for the rant; but after spending several hours trying to get ONE piece of artwork (a cloak) to function properly and dealing with the lone consistency of incessant, illogical crashes.. I'm fuming.

dazedmouse

Sorceror
Yes I have had some crashes but mostly operator errors... I found that if a mul file wont save it is because that file has become corrupt. And I also found that if you dont use the tab key to manuever around it can cause menus to pop up.. Using the backspace when you should have use the tab key will also cause it to crash... Hope I have been some help...

Orbit Storm i am using version 6.5 (not sure where i got it from, it was years ago) and i have not experienced any of those problems

remember these few things when using mulpatcher

1) run it and the files you are working on from a seperate directory from any other program
this is for 2 reasone
a) you are working on copies, just incase of "ooops" (and animation files no need to save, so easy to oops)
b) nothign else can be accessing the programs, like UO, Pandoras, inside uo, etc etc, this helps for that

2) mulpatcher is memory hungry, it is loading all those files into memory
so if you have less than 1 gig and XP or less than 2 gig and Vista or Win7 then check the low memory button

3) because it uses so much memory, and many times CPU cycles, it is best to not have any other programs running that are not needed to run

4) save often, just standard practice when working with any program

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Unfortunately.. my version of MulPatcher is in German.. lol

As for memory.. well; I'm currently using a dual-core 64 bit 4Gb RAM system.. I don't think it has anything to do with the computing speeds..

Two questions for anyone willing to answer them:

1 - It is mentioned in the directions to copy any basic script and edit it as needed for your new "robe" (in my case, cape). Could someone post an example script? Not just a snippet.. but the entire thing with your new code highlighted.. I'm a bit of a visual learner and some of the directions are fuzzy...

2 - A friend of mine has his own server.. with a prepatched client that he has available for download.. well; he is retiring the server due to going back to college, and said I'm permitted to use the appropriate docs for custom artwork. Even as he said; I could really use ANY custom artwork from any server.. since nearly all the artwork used is free for public use on many sites..
-- On topic; how would I go about figuring out which files to implement into my client.. anim.mul, tiledata.mul, etc? I tried comparing both of our body.def files and there are no disparities between the two. I haven't been able to reach him for a few days; so I figured I'd ask on here to find out what steps I need to take.

I've already logged into my server using his prepatched client... and I can see the artwork just fine. But I have no way of knowing what itemids pertain to which custom artwork.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Still looking for an example script.. =)

Also.. still hoping someone has some advice on where to start with merging custom artwork. As I said above.. I checked, double-check, and even triple-checked both of our Body.def scripts and they're both exactly alike. However, he has tons of custom artwork for wearables and deco. Spoke with him earlier this afternoon and he claims he isn't familiar with the artwork.. that his scripter did it for him.

Back to square one, eh?

as for the art work, he could have made custom animation files for it, and thus body.def, etc will not have been modified

as for the script, just change "Cloak" to "MyCloak" in all spots, and change the itemid number to your number base( 0x1F03, hue )
unless you made "flipable" and "Arcane" versions of the cloak, i suggest you remove those parts from the script also

FYI it is against the rules to request some one to write scripts for you
you need to start on your own, then if you have problems, post the errors/problems and the script in script support section

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Ah; well I'll see if he can find out what his scripter did with the custom artwork. It'd be so much easier that way. Some of the artwork he used were images I submitted to him anyway.

Secondly, I wasn't asking for anyone to write me a script. I was asking for someone to post an example or a copy of theirs so that I can tinker with it. The directions in the OP of "any robe script" couldn't be further from the truth. I edited an OSI version and saved it separately, and it never worked.

Nockar

Sorceror
Orbit Storm;840779 said:
Ah; well I'll see if he can find out what his scripter did with the custom artwork. It'd be so much easier that way. Some of the artwork he used were images I submitted to him anyway.

Secondly, I wasn't asking for anyone to write me a script. I was asking for someone to post an example or a copy of theirs so that I can tinker with it. The directions in the OP of "any robe script" couldn't be further from the truth. I edited an OSI version and saved it separately, and it never worked.

Hi there,

What old post about robe scripts are you talking about? Are you talking about the posts that Lady_askarii & I made? About her question about how to add a robe?
http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/55184-custom-artwork-how-9.html

If that’s the case, its pretty silly of you to say it "couldn’t be further from the truth!" HAHAH That’s actually how you add a new robe with custom art work when you are using the old animations. Most people are not going to add new animations for the new artwork.

Like Lord_Greywolf was saying.

- If you are using the old / original UO art work, all you have to do is create a script and change it.
- If you are adding a new image to your .mul file, you have to follow all the steps listed in this thread (patch, add it to body.def, and create a script)
- If you are adding a new image + animation (which i have never done) I would assume you would do what Lord_Greywolf just said.

Yozzik

Squire
Well, i made everything due to first post to add my own cloak with hood into game. In result i have right cloak in pack and on the ground, but it`s not right cloak on the paperdoll. What`s the mistake i`ve made?

what gump slot did you put it into?
should be from 0xC351 to 0xEA5F (but i have not used above 0xC850 myself)
which will give you an anim id of 0x1 to 270F (but i have never used above 0x500 myself)

in tiledata, the anim number has to go into the anim spot

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
The script I'm speaking of pertains to this part of the directions:

Tannis said:
15) Now you need a script for your new item. What I usually do is find a like script, in this case the robe script works, copy it, paste it into Notepad, and modify it to suit my needs. Here's a piece of code from my custom robe
What I asked, and am still asking; is whether or not I modify a version of the base UO script for a robe (or a cloak in my case), or whether I modify a custom script submitted in the script release section. Do I copy/paste and edit Cloaks.cs or copy/paste the custom script Tamer Cloak?
Thus why I asked for someone to post an example script; that I could simply edit to my needs. Which resulted in me being accused of asking for someone to write the script for me. If it was already written; how in the world is it being written for me when I fully intended to do the edits anyway? Like I said, I'm a visual learner. Four lines of code added to an unnamed script, doesn't tell me much of anything.

This is why RunUO has become less and less appealing to me. If you don't already know the ins and outs of C#; you're virtually out of luck. The community here has went from one of the friendliest, greatest places to be.. to becoming this hostile ("learn it yourself!") crap. This sort of attitude in general is why most of the free shards have died off. When someone (not writing their own script) asks for help; they get slapped with accusations of being lazy; rules being thrown at them (which are a minute point anyway); and in general are cast out. Dozens of posts go unanswered; and very few *new* submissions are added anymore. It's either a modified version of a RunUO 1.0 script, or a modified version of another person's script that was previously submitted.

Maybe I'm missing a few things here.. I've never edited any base files like this; and sure as hell never bothered with MulPatcher. So when I ask for some help; I'd much rather receive no responses than one that's demeaning in nature. Prime example:

then need to search for it in the script release section or the archives

if can not find it there then you need to start writing one yourself and then in a new thread, post your errors/problems/etc and the script in code tags
- If I don't know anything about C# other than basic editing; am I supposed to just go buy some C# For Dummies books and start learning? That's why it's called "support"; not "Learn C#".

Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of people here who help. Even those I speak of who tend to be rude, actually help. But under no circumstances; do any of the "helpers" here have the right to demand that you learn C# and write the script yourself, before asking someone for a spare copy of a previously released script. If you don't want to help the person, keep your nonsense to yourself, and don't post in that thread. I'm not the kind of person to put up with being put down or pushed around. TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) seems to be an epidemic around here. Half your post is read, or misconstrued; then an ill-conceived response is thrown your way. I've been a long time member of this community; just because I don't have 2k+ posts doesn't make me any less of a person than someone who does.

As I pointed out in another thread:

Orbit Storm said:
I'm going to refrain from posting in this thread any further. If people are going to come off with illogical retorts of "find it or script it"; then I see no reason to waste my time. I could make an attempt at scripting; but over the last two weeks I've watched several new scripters have their scripts sit in the support section without nary a reply.

I'll just find a "scripter" on ConnectUO looking for a new server to work with; and go from there. If I do resort back to posting here for any help; I'd appreciate, at the very least, basic forum etiquette. Other than that, it's become pointless to post in this thread. And fyi? Replying to the same person, across several threads, using the same ignorant responses; is considered trolling. I'm sure there's a rule for that. ;)

David said:
If you are not a Moderator, don't try to moderate. Instead provide helpful direction or simply move on to another thread.

Cpt_Starfox

Sorceror
unwearable wearables

Well, I obviouisly have a problem with unwearable wearables heh. I'm using the RunUO1 and the ML client and trying to make some ML items like the elven robe. I'll use that as an example.

Tiledata using Mulpatcher:
ItemID - 0x3173 (12659) and 0x2fb9 (12217) for some reason there's two of them *shrugs*
GumpID - 0xC6D2 (50898)
AnimID - 0x382 (898)
Weight - 3 (for the first) and 2 (for the other)
Height - 1 (for the first) and 3 (for the other)
Quality - 22 - Torso (outer) (robe)
Unknown1 - 193
Unknown4 - 20
Weapon is checked
Wearable is checked

The AnimID is a blank slot in Anim.mul but it is tied to slot 0x278 (632) in Anim5.mul by the Bodyconv.def file.
There is no reference to any of these animation numbers in either Body.def or Equipconv.def.
If I'm right, Bodyconv.def overwrites Body.def anyway, and I think Equipconv.def might overwrite them both.

I've scripted the item and then tested it in game. I can see the art for when it is on the ground, but I can't seem to equip it. Even if I take off everything else, I still can not wear it.

Here is part of my script as well, it is pretty basic being only 45 lines total:

Code:
using System;
using Server;
using Server.Items;

namespace Server.Items
{
	public class ElvenShroud : BaseOuterTorso
	{
		[Constructable]
		public ElvenShroud() : this( 0 )
		{
		}

[Constructable]
		public ElvenShroud( int hue ) : base( 0x3173, hue )
		{
			LootType = LootType.Blessed;
			Weight = 3.0;
		}
etc...

I've worked at this for hours. What am I missing?

if the id you are trying to use is used in ANY of those other files, you can not use it at all, it will end up not working
you need to find a slot that is not used at all, which is hard for wearables if you do not want them to disapear when Sitting
also can not use any Body numbers (body number + 50000) because the body will end up on toon

also the 2 "unknowns" do not mater for robes
also if it is a "hooded" one, just to let you know the hood will NOT go over helms, only certain ones by the client do that

Cpt_Starfox

Sorceror
The AnimID is a blank slot in Anim.mul but it is tied to slot 0x278 (632) in Anim5.mul by the Bodyconv.def file.
That is the only one of those files that those animation numbers are in.

There is no reference to any of these animation numbers in either Body.def or Equipconv.def. But I still can not seem to wear the item.

Also, the robe should be just a standard shroud like the hooded shroud of shadows. I know the hood doesn't go over the helm, but thing is, I can't wear this at all.

Nockar

Sorceror
Orbit Storm;840844 said:
The script I'm speaking of pertains to this part of the directions:

What I asked, and am still asking; is whether or not I modify a version of the base UO script for a robe (or a cloak in my case), or whether I modify a custom script submitted in the script release section. Do I copy/paste and edit Cloaks.cs or copy/paste the custom script Tamer Cloak?
Thus why I asked for someone to post an example script; that I could simply edit to my needs. Which resulted in me being accused of asking for someone to write the script for me. If it was already written; how in the world is it being written for me when I fully intended to do the edits anyway? Like I said, I'm a visual learner. Four lines of code added to an unnamed script, doesn't tell me much of anything.

This is why RunUO has become less and less appealing to me. If you don't already know the ins and outs of C#; you're virtually out of luck. The community here has went from one of the friendliest, greatest places to be.. to becoming this hostile ("learn it yourself!") crap. This sort of attitude in general is why most of the free shards have died off. When someone (not writing their own script) asks for help; they get slapped with accusations of being lazy; rules being thrown at them (which are a minute point anyway); and in general are cast out. Dozens of posts go unanswered; and very few *new* submissions are added anymore. It's either a modified version of a RunUO 1.0 script, or a modified version of another person's script that was previously submitted.

Maybe I'm missing a few things here.. I've never edited any base files like this; and sure as hell never bothered with MulPatcher. So when I ask for some help; I'd much rather receive no responses than one that's demeaning in nature. Prime example:

- If I don't know anything about C# other than basic editing; am I supposed to just go buy some C# For Dummies books and start learning? That's why it's called "support"; not "Learn C#".

Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of people here who help. Even those I speak of who tend to be rude, actually help. But under no circumstances; do any of the "helpers" here have the right to demand that you learn C# and write the script yourself, before asking someone for a spare copy of a previously released script. If you don't want to help the person, keep your nonsense to yourself, and don't post in that thread. I'm not the kind of person to put up with being put down or pushed around. TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) seems to be an epidemic around here. Half your post is read, or misconstrued; then an ill-conceived response is thrown your way. I've been a long time member of this community; just because I don't have 2k+ posts doesn't make me any less of a person than someone who does.

As I pointed out in another thread:

I'll just find a "scripter" on ConnectUO looking for a new server to work with; and go from there. If I do resort back to posting here for any help; I'd appreciate, at the very least, basic forum etiquette. Other than that, it's become pointless to post in this thread. And fyi? Replying to the same person, across several threads, using the same ignorant responses; is considered trolling. I'm sure there's a rule for that. ;)

If you are trying to get help from people the best course of action is to be very polite, kind, and thankful. No one here is required to help you or me or anyone one else.

Code:
What I asked, and am still asking; is whether or not I modify a version of the base UO script for a robe (or a cloak in my case), or whether I modify a custom script submitted in the script release section.

Neither. If you are just trying to create a new cloak all you have to do is copy the right cloak code from Cloaks.cs into a new CS file. If you were making, say a new axe, all you would have to do is copy axe.cs out of the weapons folder, copy it some where else, and rename/edit it. But since all of the claocks are in one file, which is unusual, you have to copy out just the code you want and make a new CS file form that. If you are using a new image for that cloak you would also need to change any 0x1234 numbers in the file.

On page 9 of this thread are posts by Lady_askarri and my self. She asked about how to add a new cloak. If you scroll down to the bottom you will see code for a Katana and a Cloak. It tells you what you have to do to modify it.

So all you would have had to do is read a few threads back and you would have found out how to add new artwork of a cloak and then create a script for it.

http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/55184-custom-artwork-how-9.html <- click the link an read.

Cpt_Starfox;841301 said:
That is the only one of those files that those animation numbers are in.

There is no reference to any of these animation numbers in either Body.def or Equipconv.def. But I still can not seem to wear the item.

Also, the robe should be just a standard shroud like the hooded shroud of shadows. I know the hood doesn't go over the helm, but thing is, I can't wear this at all.

ok - i would make sure you are naked, just to make sure the slot is not being used by anything else
also in the items script, make sure it is set to use that layer
Layer = Layer.OuterTorso;

and as long as it is in any of those files, it will not appear correctly on the toon (will on paperdoll more than likely)

Cpt_Starfox

Sorceror
It should have been using the OuterTorso layer anyway, but I added your suggested line to my code just to be sure.

I tested it again, and I still can not put it on. I can't see gump, animation, or anything because I can't equip it at all. It acts as if it is not even a wearable item. I can wear other robes just fine but not this one. I checked [props just to be sure the layer was indeed OuterTorso as it should be, and it was.

I have double and tripple checked the body.def and equipconv.def files and find no trace of any of the animation numbers having to do with this robe (898-anim or 632-anim5). It is only mentioned in the bodyconv.def file where it ties 643 in anim5.mul to 898 in anim.mul. Also, just to be sure, I checked and those two are only mentioned once each in the bodyconv.def file:

Code:
898	-1	-1	-1	632

Thank you for your help so far, and I hope we can figure this out. It is about to drive me crazy lol.

Cpt_Starfox

Sorceror
Ok, I tried to comment out the line in Bodyconv.def and just use body.def and an older animation just incase that might have somehow caused the problem. It still did not work. I still could not wear the item. This is an item added by OSI, so I would think they have everything added right, so I've not had to add any of the art, gumps, or animations for it (for all the numbers, look at the first of my above post). All I did was get a script going for it. Obviously though, something is missing.

Oh, and here is my full script just incase:
Code:
using System;
using Server;
using Server.Items;

namespace Server.Items
{
	public class ElvenShroud : BaseOuterTorso
	{
		[Constructable]
		public ElvenShroud() : this( 0 )
		{
		}

[Constructable]
		public ElvenShroud( int hue ) : base( 0x3173, hue )
		{
			LootType = LootType.Blessed;
			Weight = 3.0;
			Layer = Layer.OuterTorso;
		}

public override bool Dye( Mobile from, DyeTub sender )
		{
			from.SendLocalizedMessage( sender.FailMessage );
			return false;
		}

public ElvenShroud( Serial serial ) : base( serial )
		{
		}

public override void Serialize( GenericWriter writer )
		{
			base.Serialize( writer );

writer.Write( (int) 0 ); // version
		}

public override void Deserialize( GenericReader reader )
		{
			base.Deserialize( reader );

int version = reader.ReadInt();
		}
	}
}