RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Maps

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Dougan, you have a few nifty UO tools. You should consider rounding them up and putting them all on one projects page. As I keep discovering new sweet tools you've done, and that would make it easier for me and others. Lol.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
Im having alot of trouble with dragonsp. I created my map with photoshop used dragon mod 9 and it says use dragonsp. Im thinking cool. Well on my way to making my map usable. So I put in the first column that says staidx0 : C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy\map0.mul
On the line below it I put:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy\staticsx0.mul
I hit start and everything seems to be fine. It asked to I want to delete the statics I click yes. It get up to 97% on the bottom and throws and error Access Violation at address 004036CE in module 'Dragonsp.exe. Read of address 00000000

I really dont understand what Im doing wrong and have yet to find a decent guide and trust me Ive looked :( So if anyone could plz help Id really appreciate it. Thanks

Thats because you have to make blank .mul files..you can get blank difs at ryandor and change them to staidx0.mul, map0.mul and statics0.mul....drop them into the dragon folder and link to THEM...basically you are trying to over write the stock files in in your UO client and thats why you are getting the access error.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
okay thanks Ill look into that. At least I feel like Im on the right path again lol. Was getting really frustrated.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
just went there and got them. so I need all three in the dragon folder. So I guessing when I run dragon mod 9 i set the destination to the map0.mul in the dragon folder and let my photoshop map compile. then when I open dragonsp i set the destination to staidx0.mul and statics0.mul which will also now be in the dragon folder. Is this correct. Just want to make sure Im getting this right.

yep..set the bmp path to your map and the map0.mul path to the blank mul in dragon....once that is done, the run sp and set the paths to the blank staidx0 and statics mul files....also click yes when it asks to clear statics, make sure you select all of the tiles in the left hand column before you start.

Once you finish its best to replace all the other 0.mul files with blanks in your client...such as stadifl0.mul..they should be at 0kbs anyway but it doesnt hurt to replace them just so you dont get some kind of bleed over from the old map.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
Im not sure what you mean about replacing blanks are you talking about putting new blanks in the dragon folder. Also can these files be in the main directory of dragon or do they need to be in a specific sub folder? From what I understand after I have ran the files in Dragonsp I can then place them into my runuo directory in a folder called custom maps and do I also place them into the Ultima directory as well. Ive done a basic map to test everything dont want to start my full detail one until Im sure Ive got this all down. From what I heard mountains can be a big pain. so far got my mainland and some island with green 0 and the shores with water -5 and put a couple of the island with sand 0 which will make the sandy beach if Im not mistaken?

alekwdrake

Sorceror
Okay got some of it figured out. I put the too .mul files in a new folder called custom maps in the runuo directory next I went to datapath.cs and edited were it would look. here it is. Sorry I cant remember how to post those code boxs. Its been to long.

using System;
using System.IO;
using Microsoft.Win32;
using Server;

namespace Server.Misc
{
public class DataPath
{
/* If you have not installed Ultima Online,
* or wish the server to use a seperate set of datafiles,
* change the 'CustomPath' value, example:
* private const string CustomPath = @"C:\Program Files(86)\EA GAMES\Ultima Online Mondains Legacy";
*/
private static string CustomPath = @"Desktop:\UO\RunUO2.2\Custom maps";

Next I put copies of those in the ultima directory. Also I put the map0.mul in the ultima directory as well.

No what Im getting is a huge messed up land mass with a bunch of left over crap like vendors and doors n such. Not sure where to go from here

It depends on whether you plan to replace a map or just use the normal maps and a custom map...for instance I use 4 custom maps..I have replaced fel, trammel. malas and ilshenar..so I put all 4 map0.muls and the staidx and statics for each into the client folder...As for Just adding a custom map I couldnt tell you anything other than there is a post on runuo that tells you how to do it..edit: actuall if you look in your map definitions file it tells you..right below here in the bolded text. Also somewhere I had posted the list of files you need to remove when replacing the original maps. You should be able to check my post history and find it.
Code:
            RegisterMap( 0, 0, 0, 7168, 4096, 4, "Felucca",        MapRules.FeluccaRules );
            RegisterMap( 1, 1, 1, 7168, 4096, 0, "Trammel",        MapRules.TrammelRules );
            RegisterMap( 2, 2, 2, 2304, 1600, 1, "Ilshenar",    MapRules.TrammelRules );
            RegisterMap( 3, 3, 3, 2560, 2048, 1, "Malas",        MapRules.TrammelRules );
            RegisterMap( 4, 4, 4, 1448, 1448, 1, "Tokuno",        MapRules.TrammelRules );

[B] RegisterMap( 0x7F, 0x7F, 0x7F, Map.SectorSize, Map.SectorSize, 1, "Internal", MapRules.Internal );[/B]

/* Example of registering a custom map:
            * RegisterMap( 32, 0, 0, 6144, 4096, 3, "Iceland", MapRules.FeluccaRules );

Just noticed what I said...when I said all 4 map0.muls..I should have said the map muls that replace each map...map0,map1,map2 and map3 plus there statics and staidx files..If you are wanting to replace a map just drop the map and static and staidx file into your client and over write the original map files..when you load the world and get in game just clear the wolrd and it will do away with the doors and spawns.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
what is the command is it [clear
Also I dont plan on using any of the old UO maps. completely custom world. Probably going to be felucca ruleset though. Want to make it as real as possible if ya know what I mean. And for right now since Im just figuring out how to make a map just going to have that one for awhile until I get better and may introduce different facets later on. But as is Im no where near ready to make this server public. Oh and when you refer to the client are you talking about The ultima game itself?

yes I am reffering to the Ultima game itself. Just drop them in the client and when it asks you if you want to over write click yes, also don forget to take out every file that says 0 in the file name...like stadif0.mul, stadifl0.mul and such.

alekwdrake

Sorceror
Okay got it. So I figured out one thing I was foing wrong. I had made my map in rgb 16bit now I made my map in bmp 8bit. My land masses came out and mountains but shore comes out as those brown tiles mentioned in the post from before with that other guy. never do think I read a solution for it. also it looks like the forest are turning out to be what I can tell cave floor. Mountains are okay and even the snow though. one proglem is well I had made such a small island to test with so I [m tele to the island and got there saw the brown tiles then got the the grass and tele on it and try to walk. all he does is walk in place but go nowhere. not sure why it is doing that. other than that Im starting to fifure this out a bit lol. any suggestions

alekwdrake

Sorceror
one more thing. Im hoping you know photoshop. I have my main map I have been working on but its in the rgb 16bit. How do I convert it back to bmp 8 bit. is there even a way to cuz Im looking and cant figure it out and hoping i dont have to start back over from scratch

m309

Squire
I've found that once you've created your map#.mul, debugging it with Fiddler sometimes helps with various issues. Might give that a try if you haven't yet.