RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom shard Wizard

moonrune

Wanderer
Custom shard Wizard

This is a suggestion to speed the process of configure a custom shard and avoid bugs and problems for a wrong configuration... This can give more time to staff to configure the world. You can change in the .cs directly, but sometimes you lost the track of the changes. I don't know if this is the right place to post this idea, if not, delete this post.

In a fresh install, after making the admin account, the console ask to user these questions:

=> You plan to use Runuo for a custom or default shard (OSI/EA) ?

If you choose default, you work with your server as before, like the 1.0 or 2.0 versions. You have the default spawns in all maps, all default quests active.

If you choose "Custom", you take this options, like a small "wizard" to help you to speed the configuration process :

=> You use custom maps? (All facets / (only 1 / 2 /3 /4 )

You can choose all or the order of the custom maps you are using. (1,3,4 as example). Using a custom map option you begin your map with no spawners, default OSI quests and other things, avoiding the process to access the shard, clear the facet.

=> Type the name of your custom map and Rules for him. (this question repeteat for each custom map)

You gain time with this... You don't need to hunt every .cs file to change the maps name or other things. Only the essential files have the name of <<facet default name>> changed to <<custom facet name>>. You have trammel of felluca rules for this map, by your direct choice. Only works in the Runuo .cs files, and with some limits.

Part of the code are disabled, like public moon gates, town definitions and other points. You can read and change, but need to remove the // in the .cs file.

=> Directory of your custom files? (apply to all shard files)

The server create a folder with a name of your choose to receive the mul and other files. You need to copy your files using another program and placing here... After making the folder, the console say "you can copy your files now. Type "OK" to continue".

=> Choose the begin location to teleport the first user. (facet number/x/y/z)

If you make the custom map, you know (in part) the right point to start.

After the whole process, the server generate two texts files, sometime like "custom install.log" and "default install.log". With two files, the user can read and check the chances by yourself, to adjust and tweak later. The "custom install.txt" point the correct .cs files and lines to change other things, like reagents, young status and more.

ETsCat

Sorceror
OK OK I WANT! This is the smartest idea I've heard yet. Do IT!! Or talk someone into doing it.

old_school

Wanderer
I like the concept heres the issue if you want Runuo to support it. Alot of shards dont like custom for say They want OSI or as close as they can get. An alot of times custom shards lead to unbalanced. I think the way its set now is pretty nice its stable, easy to customize with some work. Not bad. If anything I think we sould look at creating something that is expandable. Maybe support quad core or something of that nature. I know it supports dual core. However I hear alot of people running quad core just just wondering if it supports it to the fullest extent.