Customizing the Windows Registry

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by gametec, Dec 27, 2017.

1. gametec

gametec Page

[​IMG]
    Customizing the Windows Registry

Hello everyone, I am going to release a client archive which is almost 80% complete. All application packages contained in this archive include each client version and their associated game files. These application packages come AS-IS and, as such, no support will be given with exception to this one tutorial which I am typing because a lot of people seem to have issues with getting earlier versions of the Ultima Online™ game client running properly without running into errors.

When you first download one of my application "wrappers", you will double-click the Ultima Online™ game client version you just downloaded; this will open up a dialogue that will let you extract the files anywhere you want on your computer's hard drive. Once extracted you will notice that your client may not work right away; this is especially true for earlier versions of the Ultima Online™ game client. The client version you want to use may throw up several errors, but this one is the most common:

[​IMG]

To combat this, and most other errors, you must register your Ultima Online™ game client in the Microsoft Windows registry. To do this we need to follow a few steps:

Step 01:
    Check to make sure which version of Microsoft Windows you are actively using; 32-Bit or 64-Bit:

If you are unsure as to which Microsoft Windows version you are using, open up the ‘C:\ hard drive’. If you see a folder named “Program Files” and another folder named “Program Files (x86)”, then you have the 64-Bit version of Microsoft Windows. Conversely, if you only see a folder named “Program Files”, then you have the 32-Bit version of Microsoft Windows.

Step 01a:
    Copy and paste the following for the Microsoft Windows 32-Bit Operating System Into Notepad:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\1.0]

"ExePath"="[your client path]\\client.exe"
    "InstCDPath"="[your client path]"
    "PatchExePath"="[your client path]\\uopatch.exe"
    "StartExePath"="[your client path]\\uo.exe"

Step 01b:
    Copy and paste the following for the Microsoft Windows 64-Bit Operating System Into Notepad:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Origin Worlds Online]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\1.0]

"ExePath"="[your client path]\\client.exe"
    "InstCDPath"="[your client path]"
    "PatchExePath"="[your client path]\\uopatch.exe"
    "StartExePath"="[your client path]\\uo.exe"

Now that you’ve copy and pasted the appropriate code, for your Microsoft Windows Operating System into Notepad, you will want to replace every instance of “[your client path]” with the path you want Razor to use; the direct path to the directory containing the “client.exe” application. This directory will also contain the "uo.exe" and "uopatch.exe" applications.

PLEASE BE AWARE:

Step 02:
    Save your new Ultima Online™ client registry file using Notepad by following these steps:

Left-Click on the “File” menu option in the top menu strip inside the Notepad application and then Left-Click again on the “Save As…” option. Go down to the “Save as type” drop menu and select “All Files”. Now type “uo.reg” in the white space to the right of the label “File name”. Finally Right-Click the “Save” button and select your desired location. Once saved, close Notepad and Right-Click the file and select the Merge option. If that option is not available then Right-Click the file again and select Open With and target the Registry Editor as the desired program. Another alternative is to just Double-Click the “uo.reg” file to install its contents into your registry. Either way the Registry Editor will ask for confirmation, so confirm the import action.

Disclaimer: I am NOT the original author of this tutorial. I found this tutorial on a third-party, unaffiliated, website; sorry, but I forgot the location of it so I can't link it up. I did however revise the tutorial for easier reading. I HAVE tested this tutorial ten (10) times on my local machine with Ultima Online™ game client versions: "3.0.0x" and "4.0.0x" successfully; I am running Windows 10 Home Edition.

#1 gametec, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Hammerhand

Hammerhand RunUO Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh boy... I saw the title & thought I had another bot to beat on. :p

gametec likes this.