RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decaying Skills

Arachaic

Sorceror
I am wanting to have skills decay over time like 1.0 a day if the skill is not used that day. I wanna add a kinda hardcore difficulty without perma killing the character. My server also has no skill cap and it will aid in challenging maxed out characters. Is this possible and where should I start?

daat99

Staff member
The best approach I recommend is to reduce all the players skills by your defined amount every day ignoring when the player used the skills last (you might want to reconsider your view on crafting skills though).
In most skills it's easy enough to regain that 1.0 point during the day so most players will be maxed again by the same time tomorrow.

I would've done so in the serialize method in playermobile (before actually saving anything).
You can just loop on all the player skills and reduce them by 1 is this is the first save after midnight (or noon or whatever time you want it).

An alternative approach (which I think might be better) is to decrease the skills when the player logs in (or out) instead of on a daily basis.
This way you won't force a major downgrade for players who take vacations or play every couple of days (I know I would've been mad if I had 120 everything and returned from a time-off to find all my skills at <90...).