RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dragon Mod9+] Need a little help...

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Okay, normally I don't find myself wanting to yank my hair out of my scalp, but I'm about at that point. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why I can't get DragonMod9+ to work.

Everytime I use a BMP file with the pallet included with the program, everything comes out some kind of strange/wonky color when viewed with InsideUO's map viewer. The ocean always comes out as grass. We used Paintshop Pro, and that had some disasterous results. I went back and used MSPaint, copying the pallet onto the map and using the colors directly, then removing the pallet afterwards.

No matter the changes I've tried, the oceans end up grass, the grass ends up looking like swamp (though the basetile says it's called NoName, and has an Alt of 5, when I used 0 for everything). The forests come out as snow.

Please, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Yep, that's exactly what it was. Figured it out at about 3am last night. Thank you for the response :) We got it functioning correctly now.

Dian

Sorceror
Id assume you needed to load the Dragon pallet into paint shop to index the colors correctly, huh?

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Yes, well, since I wasn't doing the map, I don't feel bad about passing the buck and saying 'it wasn't my fault'.

However, instead of making another thread, I've run into another problem here with the map. We've gotten it put together, and uploaded, and we see it perfectly. We can run around the map and look and such.. however, everything seems to stay at 0 Z. In the client, it looks like my character/avatar is going up and down the hills and such, but whenever I do a [get z, it always returns as '0'.

Further, other characters/mobiles go through the hills instead of over them. Since we see ourselves going over the terrain, I'm assuming this is a server-side issue with files, though I have no idea what would be doing this. Any thoughts?

Dian

Sorceror
well.. the obvious of course first. You have the RunUO client using the new map files, right. You see the map, so your client files are checking out. Make certain the RunUO is using them, without a doubt.

Further than that, would need more info. Client version using, RunUO version, and what is the overall size of your new map.BMP file? You may not have the correct size map that RunUO is trying to read from (possible).

Something to get you started, anyways. leme know

Dian

Sorceror
You will want to have TileMatrixPatch set false, in the MapDefinitions.cs file for sure, with a custom map on Tram/Fel facets.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
The TileMatrixPatch.Enabled is already set "false". The server is running the same vanilla install we are. Right now, as we are just testing things out, our client version is something like 4.0.11a. It's a UOML basic install, which I do remember working with custom maps in the past, so we started there.

The new map file is 6144x4196, basically fresh from Dragon/DragonSP. I'm searching for the RunUO version. I didn't install it myself, and haven't spent a lot of time looking through the actual server files. Not sure where I'd find that exactly. It's a recent version, I believe.

Dian

Sorceror
Well not sure it would cause your issue, but you are using a map size that is smaller than the current. So in your MapDefinitions.cs you would need to re-adjust the size. Distro is 7168, 4096.You want that to be 6144, 4096 for the Map you have it set to.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Adjusted the MapDefinitions file to correct parameters, but issue still remains. No matter where you are on the map, Z = 0. Going to try a different client to see if that fixes the issue.

m309

Squire
Vhaerun, first of all - great to see you back in action (big fan), secondly - I had this same issue. Do you have multiple installations of the UO client on the computer in question? If you install the client to the path set by say EA/Mythic, and then copy it to another location or even install another version to somewhere else, when the client starts for some reason it will still read the initial path locations for the map. Try either overwriting the initial installation files, or move the UO file to a new directory and completely remove the originally installed files via the Control Panel "Remove Programs". It worked for me, everything synced properly between server map and pc client files after I did that.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
I've been informed the UO client on the server was fully uninstalled before the older client was installed. If you mean the player side clients, those were also fully uninstalled before the new (older) one was installed. Here's kind of a run down of what we did and the effects our actions had. If I'm missing a step, maybe you or someone else will notice.

* Create custom map with Dragon, using DragonSP to install coastlines and rudimentary statics.
* Uninstalled UO version 7.x.x from player computers and server computer (had them on there for getting back into UO and playing on some shards).
* Install UOML version 4.0.11c (from fileplanet) onto player computers and server computer.
* Rename map0.mul, mapdifl0.mul, stadifl0.mul, staidx0.mul, and statics0.mul by using an appended .backup onto the file name on player computers and on server computer.
* Copy/paste the map0.mul, staidx0.mul, and statics0.mul files created by Dragon/DragonSP into player computers and server.
* Started RunUO 2.3 version on server.
* Logged onto shard, and Z problem presented itself.
* Tried adjusting MapDefinitions.cs file to correct BMP/map file width and height (6144,4096). No change in Z upon relog.
* Uninstalled UO 4.0.11c from one player computer and reinstalled version 7.x.x (along with renaming/transferring mul files) to see if this fixed the problem. At this point, the custom map couldn't be viewed anymore. I suspect this is a problem with the client version using different mul files and configurations I'm not familiar with.

I don't think I'm missing anything in how we have done this.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Next I am going to try reinstalling the 4.0.11c client into a completely different directory, away from the former location.

EDIT: Still no dice. Z remains at 0 no matter where on the map. Using "[inc z #" will adjust the z of the person/item/mobile to the specified number, but one step puts the Z back at 0.

Dian

Sorceror
Classic issue of the RunUO server and the UO Client using different map files. Id bet there is something overlooked somehow.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Okay I've done some more testing and I'm coming up with even more questions and puzzles, though I'm thinking it all stems back to this problem.

- Anything placed on the open ocean (presumably Z = -5) gets placed at Z = 0.
- Boats cannot be placed on the water, probably because anything that is added is getting its Z set to 0 when targeting the ground.
- Seahorses walk at Z = 0, but cannot walk at Z = -5 (not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not).
- Statics can be "stacked" to increase their Z when created.
- Items can be created or dropped onto other items to increase their Z.

Dian

Sorceror
On the RunUO serverlist.cs
You would be best off creating a folder like C:/Client for your Server *.mul files, and enter that direct path in the script, so its not trying to locate an installation of UO, rather reading the files you placed in c:/client That makes certain its only ever reading in that location.

Dian

Sorceror
not trying to pound the issue, but you will only get more problems the further you try things in game, if the map files are not prefectly matched. Done enough of it to know the signs.. but still, there could be something else too.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Classic issue of the RunUO server and the UO Client using different map files. Id bet there is something overlooked somehow.

Normally, I would totally agree. I would insist that this is the case if I was trying to help someone else out. I personally did not put the files (either RunUO or UO) on the server, but I'm almost completely sure it was done correctly. The person doing it for me is a computer engineer for NASA, for crying out loud. He just now gave me full server access to figure out what the problem is.