RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emo's suck

WarAngel

Wanderer
Johabius;707381 said:
You can't choose your race, you can choose what to wear and how to act. I don't know where she was going with the religion side of it, though. And stereotyping, while inherently silly, is not baseless. There is always a grain of truth to stereotypes.

That's bullshit Johab. I read the "grain of truth to stereotypes" crap all the time. It's just an excuse to discriminate, whether for fun or not.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
For cultural groups, there generally is an "example member" that conforms to average demographics for the group...

Rosetta

Wanderer
WarAngel;707418 said:
That's bullshit Johab. I read the "grain of truth to stereotypes" crap all the time. It's just an excuse to discriminate, whether for fun or not.

Everyone, everywhere in all cultures will hold certain stereotypes of others. Justified or not, it's what happens.
The only real thing of importance is how you treat another human being.

Courageous

Wanderer
Johabius;707381 said:
There is always a grain of truth to stereotypes.

You have misspelled the word "often". Anyway, while I happen to agree with you to a certain point, one poster suggested that such observations are sometimes leverage by which people actually enable discrimination. To wit: what is one to do with the knowledge that "there is always a grain of truth to stereotypes"?

Anyway, sometimes these things can be understood through a larger perspective. Consider:

There was a rather influential study done in the last 5 to 10 years that looked at relative IQ of groups of peoples in their home countries versus expatriate populations (expatriates: people who have left the country... when they come here, we call them immigrants).

So are Asians more intelligent than whites? Look at all kids, going to college, and ripping down those math classes.

As it turns out, no. And yes.

The Asians who come here may be a bit more intelligent (and I'd certainly say more enterprising) than the ones who stay home. Remember, the ones who stay home are the ones who are too stupid, too lazy, or simply too unable to flee a bad situation.

So are Jews "more enterprising" than whites? Well, no. And yes. And well maybe.

By now, there are many indigenous Jews who've lived here for several generations. I'd say that they're just us. Nothing special. However, if you went back in time, the ones who were here were the ones smart enough, enterprising enough, and just simply able enough to take a major leap in their lives and immigrate here.

So what I'm saying is that while you will sometimes find truth in stereotypes, it might take a little effort understanding what you are looking it.

C//

TMSTKSBK

Lord
*contemplates becoming a goth*

Or maybe a demi-goth.

Self-definition of demi-goth, regardless of any other definitions that may currently exist:

A goth that's dark and all that, but not so much on the androgynous. (Yes, I am male. Yes, I like it that way.)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Agreed.

However, the "perfect" chick might be:

rocker goth barista.

Insert your preferred body size and skin coloring.

Courageous

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;707495 said:
Goth chicks are hawt.

I went to my buddies bachelor party. For the evening, we took him to one of those stripclubs where they allow both topless and lapdancing. He kept on going back to the same gothish chick. She wasn't the best looking babe there... just the hottest. It's like, if I'm gonna fuck one of ya... you.

Heh.

C//

Admin God

Wanderer
I want a flea costume... that is all.