Event of the day: May 5th

Discussion in 'Starbucks @ RunUO.com' started by MadeInQuebec, May 5, 2017.

1. MadeInQuebec

MadeInQuebec The Eminent Made In Quebec, Elder Moderator Staff Member

Did you know that,

71 years ago, marks the opening of the International military tribunal for the far east, in Tokyo. Twenty-eight military and government officials are accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity. These charges were mainly based on what was later described as the Massacre of Nanking or the Rape of Nanking, about their uses of "comfort women" through the war, and many more war related charges. There was much criticism over the exoneration of Emperor Hirohito, and all of his family who should have also been held responsible for these crimes.

History, needs never be forgotten!
  2. Fraz

Fraz Traveler

Let us also not forget these additional crimes.. ..responsible for the deaths of millions, some estimate between 3,000,000 and 14,000,000 civilians and prisoners of war through massacre, human experimentation, starvation, and forced labor that was either directly perpetrated or condoned by the Japanese military and government.
  3. MadeInQuebec

MadeInQuebec The Eminent Made In Quebec, Elder Moderator Staff Member

Kinda weird huh,

That an empire so grossly engaged in atrocities, mass rape, and human massacre swtiched in 30 years to a society defined by anime, school girls, and good math!

Quite a conversion, if I may say!
  4. Fraz

Fraz Traveler

For sure! The Japanese, as a culture, are one of the quickest people to adapt and evolve to any situation, going back 1000+ years at least.

I am a huge fan of theirs though out 'all' history.

War is ugly business.

I added to note, especially with rising tensions in the Korean Peninsula recently, many of the cultures on mainland Asia do have reason to have issue with Japan, most notably the Chinese and Koreans.

I will say South Korea is a great example of some of the progress that could be made, if the 'proverbial' hatchet could ever be buried..
    However, it seems to me, most of the world leaders would rather just restart hostilities.. perhaps even WW3.
  5. Fraz

Fraz Traveler

What I find sorta weird, 75 years ago we were there defending the mainland from Japan, now our ships are sailing with Japan's, possibly against the mainland.

I'm of the firm belief we should just have a WWE wrestling match, and either Kim Jong Un or Trump gets their head shaved if their wrestler loses..

Everyone wins that way..
    MadeInQuebec likes this.
  6. Fraz

Fraz Traveler