RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fix for layered clothing.

Peoharen

Sorceror
Fix for layered clothing.

Can a method be created to 'hide' when another equipped item would cover it up?

Example.
When wearing a robe, your arms/legs/chest/bodysash/skirt layers are NOT sent to other players unless the robe is moved off.
Some itemids in the helm layer should disable sending the hair data too.

Why do I suggest this?
Well besides preventing hair from sticking up though hooded robes/hats, or parts of your armor sticking out though your robe. I'm talking about not having to send 3~6 layers of items worth of information a player cannot even see. Say you walk into Luna, there is 30 people there, all wearing their Robe Of MLUberness Luck 95! or something there of. You skip sending sending the FULL information (serial, lists of all props, load this animation etc.) of up to 180 items. Not too bad seeing how that area only had 30 people. What if your shard has 200 people on it on average and you run an event? 150 people show up to your area running past each other serveral times. Sounds like you would save A LOT of bandwith while making a sizable dent in lag for those players since they won't have to download so much as they run around.

A quick note.
The field used to know which layers it hides needs to be overrideable, so scripts for custom art/animations and OSI patch updates can be created and used properly without Core edits.

b0b01

Sorceror
Yes it's possible, easiest is probably that you make the item invisible to them, like you can for example not see spawners if your not staff, if its not visible it won't send the data to the client. doubt it matters much on the lag side, unless 50+ people on same screen.

On a side note, they will not be able to see all the props on the players if you for ex don't send what armor they wear.

Greystar

Wanderer
b0b01;772015 said:
Yes it's possible, easiest is probably that you make the item invisible to them, like you can for example not see spawners if your not staff, if its not visible it won't send the data to the client. doubt it matters much on the lag side, unless 50+ people on same screen.

On a side note, they will not be able to see all the props on the players if you for ex don't send what armor they wear.

Even if a player can't see it, the data that it exists is still sent to them.

Greystar

Wanderer
b0b01;772428 said:
...Nope its not.

Prove it. I had a production shard where we hide anything that would go under a robe. I didn't see any reduction in lag. The items are just hidden they still exist and they still load. Not that we had bad lag for having roughly 200 people on during events. Normal player volume was more like 125, but either way it didn't make any difference. The only reason we did it was for the other parts of the original posters comments. Cosmetic, no armor poking through. Just like we hid hair when certain helms were worn.

So actually prove that it will help lag by showing some statistics.

b0b01

Sorceror
Like i said you need at least 50 peeps on one screen to see any effect of taking items away to have any effect.

Personally wouldn't do it. I mean if you hide 3 items per player it will still have like 15 that you can see.

You should check where packets are sent to the client, there is a method called cansee(item) or something and the same for mobile, if it returns false no data is sent to the client.

Also client sided lag isn't created by the data you send, but by the rendering that the client will have to do, which the uo client is pretty bad at considering the quality of image output.

Im not gonna test and im not gonna prove anything, the guy just asked how to not send certain items, i gave him an answer.

On a side note not related to items being worn, maybe you know that osi doesn't send item data of items inside houses unless you enter them. I checked that for a shard how it works out because we had enabled pvp in malas and luna was full of houses with like 200 items visible and that did have an enourmous effect on the playability.