RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Shard Hosting

QNX

Traveler
Hello if you are still looking to host and dont need a big server I have one I am just starting if so look me up Thank You Terry [email protected]

It would be great if you could give some more details such as specification, location, quantity available, etc for anybody that is interested (in a new thread).

QNX

Traveler
Update! New server built, racked & configured. Applications are being processed again :D

1. Please read the FAQ here.
2. Check your latency: ping -t ping.hosted.gs (e.g. from Windows command prompt)
3. Make sure you have a website*
4. Apply here.

*The last 6 months have shown that shards which have no web presence are significantly more likely to fail. Although we now have the hardware to support many more servers, both time and IP addresses are finite resources. Therefore, we kindly request that you have at least a basic website setup before making your application. (If you cannot find time for this, you probably won't have enough time to produce a successful shard, sorry!)

QNX

Traveler
this looks cool, i am so sad i managed to lose all my shard's data over the years :-( (had over 100 active players)

Nooooo, that's a shame!

I recently booted up an old Sphere shard I used to play many years ago called "Dawn of Britannia". It's been a while too; last file modifications were mid 2002! Was fun to have a run around and remember where it all started (for me) :)

Update! New server built, racked & configured. Applications are being processed again :D

1. Please read the FAQ here.
2. Check your latency: ping -t ping.hosted.gs (e.g. from Windows command prompt)
3. Make sure you have a website*
4. Apply here.

*The last 6 months have shown that shards which have no web presence are significantly more likely to fail. Although we now have the hardware to support many more servers, both time and IP addresses are finite resources. Therefore, we kindly request that you have at least a basic website setup before making your application. (If you cannot find time for this, you probably won't have enough time to produce a successful shard, sorry!)

What exactly do you mean a web presence? I am new at this so sorry for asking questions that seem to be amateur.

Web presence = a website, basically :)

hehe. I am considering running a UO shard. I am in the very very early stages starting one and I have been reading these forums on how to get started. I wish there was a tutorial or walkthrough on the whole process, but oh well. Thanks for your quick response.

Adam3488

Wanderer
Sounds great! I'm in the south eastern US and don't have access to very good internet. It'd be awesome if someone in the US with better internet could give me a rough idea of what kind of ping/speed to expect from this service?

rmacham

Sorceror
Still running strong! Sacred Earth is nearly ready to roll out to BETA Stage, and we wouldn't of gotten here without QNX

m309

Squire
Yea, same here. As soon as I emailed QNX he fixed it right up. Can't say enough what a great service to the community this is.

Zidenbr

Sorceror
I just sent my application. This is an awesome job for our community, really, i never seen something like this.

*Thumbs Up*

And waiting to see if im approved heh

mandiepal

Squire
This is amazing, kudos to QNX for helping these pplayers/admins out!

I need a private server for my family and friends is all and have been trying to find something I can install in home, I guess... Anyway, did a search to find minimum specs and saw this thread and was thoroughly impressed! Great job, QNX!

{EDIT} YEs, I have been a lurker for almost 4 years and broke my cherry to post this. ;P

QNX

Traveler
Hello RunUO friends,

As of today I'm afraid I can only provide virtual machines running Linux (any distro) unless you are able to provide your own (legit) Windows Server media/license key. This is mainly due to the expense of licensing Windows via SPLA and the fact that most of the larger hosted projects fizzled out, so there are very few players left on the HGS network.

For new applications, please follow the process documented at http://hosted.gs/

(All affected by this issue will be contacted in due course.)

Q

Arrrr

Wanderer
Your offer seems very interesting, i have some questions (i hope you don't mind if i post them here):
- Can non-english speaking servers apply?
- Do you provide some form of web hosting (even if just displays static content).
- What exactly means "near-finished"? Can apply a server with ETA of two months?

I thank you your attention.