RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God Client Worldbuilding

Kair

Wanderer
God Client Worldbuilding

If anyone is interested, I've discovered how to enable mul-editing using the UO god client. You can read about it here. My packet guide also includes many god client related packets, which can be found here. I guess not a lot of people have access to the god client, but for people obsessed with documenting everything about Ultima Online (like me) this information may be of some use.

mr_wuss

Wanderer
and the god client has been leaked? or, is this just documentation?
(edit after reading a bit more)

do you think this chould be used to directly edit .mul files in game via runuo and the standard client?

Kair

Wanderer
mr_wuss said:
and the god client has been leaked? or, is this just documentation?

The god client was leaked once, about two years ago or more. The 2.0.8n god client is the only one that I know of to be leaked. As far as I know of, in all those two years no one has ever been able to access many of its features, which include direct map and static editing. I recently discovered how to enable these features, so I posted it for documentation.

mr_wuss

Wanderer
I edited my post after reading a bit more, as noted above.

So yes, this is just for documentation, as it can't really be implimented into runuo as no one is sure what the server does with said packets.

But major props on finding out, serious dedication shows.

Kair

Wanderer
Actually, it can be implemented on any emulator. That picture on the page is of me on my personal server editing the map and statics through the god client. The RunUO devs probably will not implement it though due to the lack of public access to the client. If any of the devs want to implement though, even if its just for private amusement or whatnot, I would gladly assist them with the packets. I've made it my job to know how to handle them :)

The 0x61 Destroy Static packet is used to remove a static.
The 0x62 Move Static packet is used to shift the static item's position.
The 0x0A Edit packet has a subcommand for adding new statics.

All of the above alter the static files in some way and are sent by the client. The correct response to these packets is the 0x3F Update Statics packet.

The 0x47 New Terrain packet is used to change map tiles.
The 0x14 Change Elevation packet is used to alter map tile elevation.

Both of the packets above alter the map file and should be met with the 0x40 Update Terrain packet.

The specifications for all of these packets can be found within my packet guide.

The great thing about editing the world through the god client is that multiple worldbuilders can meet on a development shard and build it together just like the OSI guys do it.

Edit - In response to your question about whether this can be used with the normal client:

Unfortunately, no. Though the normal 4.0.3A client does process these packets, there is no way to make it save the data. To edit ingame you must login with the god client.

A good alternative would be to implement these packets in KUOC, that way it would be up to date and able to be distributed freely.

Arya

Wanderer
With the upcoming releases from Orbsydia I don't think there will be a need for this on RunUO.

Mifune

Sorceror
Wasn't 3.0.0c a god client? :/

In any case, that's awesome that you made another UO protocol guide. It looks rather easy to read too. And a new Emulator? :D Kair, if you need anything, just ask. I'll be adding your website to my navbar. *Points to my sig*

Do you have any sort of logo that I could use as a topic icon?

Kair

Wanderer
Thanks Mifune :) I haven't seen an updated packet guide for a long time, and many of the ones out there stop at 0xCC (the latest packet is 0xDB) and have a number of missing ones (like those god client ones), and thats where I started first. I update it every day, and I hope to have the known packets added very soon so I can continue working on the unknown packets. It's my life's goal to discover every one of them :) I wish I had a logo for you, but I'm not that much of an artist.

Arya, I agree. The god client is not very prevalent and is too old to warrant support from RunUO. It's nice that we know how it works now though :)

Mifune

Sorceror
Nevermind about the logo. I'm getting pretty good at making them myself.

Kair

Wanderer
Sabot said:
I have a stupid question. What exactly is a God Client?

The god client is a special client developed for OSI staff members. From it, Gamemasters/Designers/Whatever can edit the world, add npcs, change resources, monitor players, and a bunch of other things.

Sabot

Wanderer
hmmm if I had read a little more carefully I would have been answered my question. Anyways, Sounds neat. I assume that there isn't a way to get a copy. :p

Mifune

Sorceror
There is, or else Kair wouldn't have it. And if it's not on the T2A disc, then I'm curious to know exactly where or how you did find it, Kair.

Kair

Wanderer
A friend passed it along to me a long time ago. Most places do not offer it for download because EA does not like having their god client passed around. It's over two years old now, but I bet they wouldn't like it still.

drakester

Wanderer
Krrios, any comments? I would gladly give a body part for something like this in your client. :)

Kair, does this client incorporate tools for handling landscape transitions or does it work a tile at a time like the current implementation of WorldForge?

Kair

Wanderer
Hmm...the way it works, you can resize your cursor to any size you want and place map tiles that way; you can work a tile at a time or a screen at a time if you want. There is also an editor called Simple Terrain Editor that allows you to place grouped tiles, but I haven't looked into it yet. Also, since this is an actual UO client, don't forget the possibility of adding server-side commands to handle things for you as well. I added a "Setelevation" command to my server to make changing map elevation easier.

tejster24

Sorceror
Just a question, which server emulator did you implement this on?
It would be difficult to do this on RunUO as it does not support the 2.0.8n client.