RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harvestable Drugs [RUNUO 2.0] [Callandor2k ML SVN]

Sythen

Sorceror
Lol, thanks for the compliment on this system. I've just completed the coca plant stuff for cocaine and I reduced the highness times on some of the drugs. This crop is a bit more complex than the marijuana crop so it took a bit more time to complete. I'm currently working on the Rye Wheat Crop... this shouldn't take me too long and the Poppy Crop is just easy. So it shouldn't be long now until I post an upgrade. :D

Gorelord13

Wanderer
Sounds awsome to me :D but hopfully in the end te system includes:

Tobacco
Opium
Magic Mushroom
Cocain
Crack
Heroin
Marijuana
Hash
Extacy
Oil
Acid
Vikadin (spelling wrong lol)
Tylanol (spelling wrong)
Cough Medicine
Steroids
Oxycontin
Stimulants (could be used for PK to boost stats, but has a downfall of some kind)
Morphine
And any others people may think of

this would make it the ultimate in drug systems :p and ill help anyway i can :)

Sythen

Sorceror
That list is entirely possible with this system. Feel free to create any addons you wish. This system will only include: Marijuana, LSD, Cocaine, Heroin, Crack, and Opium as of the time I finish upgrading it. Any additional addons will be left up to the community. The way the system is layed out it will be very easy to create your own drugs. I will be adding notations to the scripts when I finish on where to edit and what each method does. :D

Some of the items below can be added to the list above since some of the same crops i have in this system also create a few of the drugs below. Keep in mind also I'm stretching realism with fantasy a bit. In Medieval times I highly doubt they had crack, powdered cocaine, and heroin... they might've had opium and a form of lsd. lol I'm trying to keep everything within the era. :p

Also if you wish to add more resources to add to the 'process' subsystem then you'll need to edit the gumps to include those new drugs or create a drag and drop method where you drag an item on the drug dealer and recieve another item in return. Either way you do it will require some editing, but in my opinion will be worth it, if you're ultimate goal is to add whats in the list below. Drag and Drop is a lot easier than what I did with gumps.

Just a word of advice for anyone as edit happy as I am: if you change the DrugSystem_Engine.cs or remove the association between these scripts and the Crop system then you may or may not be able to use any future additions I'll be posting to this thread. However with each addition I'll be reposting everything because with each addition there may or may not be an upgrade to the DrugSystem_Engine.cs. So you can always re-download.

Tobacco
Opium
Magic Mushroom
Cocain
Crack
Heroin
Marijuana
Hash
Extacy
Oil
Acid
Vikadin (spelling wrong lol)
Tylanol (spelling wrong)
Cough Medicine
Steroids
Oxycontin
Stimulants (could be used for PK to boost stats, but has a downfall of some kind)
Morphine

Loki8213

Traveler
well, if you add a guard or dog that searches people; you can make the chance that the guard finds it based on the guard's "forensic evaluation" skill & the dogs ability to find it based on it's "detect hidden" skill. You can also increase the chance the carrier has of "hiding" it based on their "hiding" skill. This way, it would make it more like a "smugglers black market" type of concept to the game. This would make the game a little more interesting, adding a risky, but very profitable alternative (similar to real crime). Also, I think it would be interesting, if one could somehow grow it on the plant tiles in their house. For example, if someone has a house with a room that has grass tiles for a floor, they could grow plants on it... but I'm probably asking too much... Also, I think you should look into some older scripts for magical mushrooms. If I remember correctly, there was once a script (pre-aos) I believe that changed a players vew of the game when they ate these magical mushrooms. They would see random spell animations, and hear random noises. Items on the screen would change hues and what not. It was about as close to a real mushroom trip as one could possible get... on UO lol. Anyway, If you're going to include the ingestion of these illegal narcotics in the game, I would suggest implementing some game changing performances that they may exhibit in real life. For example, add in some visual or audio changes, change some stats around; if a player let's say smokes pot, you can decrease their intelligence while increasing their focus and meditation skills. Just a word of advice: Although you want to know what effects these drugs have on people, please don't actually go out and do them yourself lol. I mean hallucinogens & pot are safe (although illegal) but don't go looking for the nearest crack dealer just for a UO script lol

Thagoras

Sorceror
A while back I snagged an LSD script which attempted to change the view. It wasn't at all entirely successfull. It modified the colors of items and static items...and I think changed the itemid of some things too.

That was always my concern about a drug system too. In real life, you get some noticible benefit? from them, else you wouldn't use them. People would still sell them, affect or no, because they're profitable...but who would buy them?

There are a good number of potions which can affect stats and abilities. And even more, including the homebrews. I've seen witchcraft items (foods with special abilities). Consumption needs to be worth it.

For my shard, I'm currently content with just the illegality/blackmarket factor. I'm planning on making a few npcs which will affect the town. Like, junkies will be addited to cocaine and will increase crime (they will pickpocket players, kill townfolk, mug players) and will always be looking for someone to sell them some cocaine. Druggies (for loss of a better name) will be addicted to opium and will let their town fall apart (they will always be on the drug, laying around, sleeping, looking for another hit. Meanwhile, garbage and rats will pile up all over town). Somehow, I'm going to make this something that the players control. The more they sell to the npcs, the more of a problem it becomes; the less, and the problems goes away.

I was also thinking that one might still need some NEA guards to remove the "harmful" substance from the corpses of those killed while transporting the substance.

Anyway, that's my little bit of brainstorming. About to start working on the K9 Unit.

Gorelord13

Wanderer
Well the drugs i listed are all used Illegally for a high, if you (or others) managed to make them, you could make a "Drug crafting system" off of this and make them all profitable, and each drug has its own side effects"

Acid/Magic Mushroom = Hallucenations (make monsters only they can see that att them)
Morphine/Vikoden = painkillers (makes them loose strength and stamina)
Heroin/Cocain = Narcotics (makes them dependant on them, makes them need to use it every once in awhile or a side effect kicks in)

and i thought of a really nice side effect for pot :p but that can all work on your shard, each drug in there does one harmful thing or another, so it is possible to use all of them for your idea.

what do you think?

Thagoras

Sorceror
K9 Unit is now here.

Currently just set to find marijuana joints and leaves. If it finds them on a PlayerMobile, marks the player criminal. If on a controlled basecreature, marks both the controller and the creature criminal and starts attacking the creature.

Should be easy to modify. I will support what I can, but there shouldn't be any real issues.

Edit: Suppose it would help if I actually uploaded it.
It should work with all versions, but no promises.

Edit: Oops, made it tamable. Fixed. Also made it a little stronger.

Oh, and Sythen, I think this is about finished. If you wanted to keep it up to date on the drugs, feel free to place it on the first post.

Edit: Fixed (I believe) a Null Reference Exception issue while it's scanning your pack and the item disappears.

Attachments

• K9Unit.cs
    9.5 KB · Views: 26

Gorelord13

Wanderer
sounds good to me :D cant wait for the whole system to come together :D oh and....

DOES IT COME IN RUNUO 2.0 FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sythen

Sorceror
Thagoras, this is an AWESOME K9 script. Very well thought out and very impressive. I went through the lines and it seems easy enough to add more drugs to the list. I'll leave that up to you unless you want me to do it. Additionally your name is now up in the drug system header along with a few others for your help with this system. I really appreciate your hard work. Thank you.

Loki8213

Traveler
Thagoras;831888 said:
A while back I snagged an LSD script which attempted to change the view. It wasn't at all entirely successfull. It modified the colors of items and static items...and I think changed the itemid of some things too.

That was always my concern about a drug system too. In real life, you get some noticible benefit? from them, else you wouldn't use them. People would still sell them, affect or no, because they're profitable...but who would buy them?

There are a good number of potions which can affect stats and abilities. And even more, including the homebrews. I've seen witchcraft items (foods with special abilities). Consumption needs to be worth it.

For my shard, I'm currently content with just the illegality/blackmarket factor. I'm planning on making a few npcs which will affect the town. Like, junkies will be addited to cocaine and will increase crime (they will pickpocket players, kill townfolk, mug players) and will always be looking for someone to sell them some cocaine. Druggies (for loss of a better name) will be addicted to opium and will let their town fall apart (they will always be on the drug, laying around, sleeping, looking for another hit. Meanwhile, garbage and rats will pile up all over town). Somehow, I'm going to make this something that the players control. The more they sell to the npcs, the more of a problem it becomes; the less, and the problems goes away.

I was also thinking that one might still need some NEA guards to remove the "harmful" substance from the corpses of those killed while transporting the substance.

Anyway, that's my little bit of brainstorming. About to start working on the K9 Unit.

It all sounds cool to me. However... A bit of advice: Unless of course it's what you desire, I wouldn't try to make the black market have too much of an "influence" on your player economy. UO is a game that is truly ran by players, & with that freedom comes not only the social aspects of online playing, but a living and vibrant economy. The economy is a big part of what makes UO what it is. After all, you don't want an entire server based on drugs & dope fiends...(or do you?). I mean it's your choice; but I remember playing one server with a drug system, & although it was cool, it was a bit overbearing. I mean it had such a such influence on how the majority of players spent their time, that I think it took away from the other features the server had to offer... if of course it actually had other features. Honestly, I (as well as everyone else) spent so much time with the drugs & what not that I don't even remember the server much, except for the whole drug thing. I don't think you should have the dope fiends steal from players (or at least often) because that'll take away from the players who don't want get involved in the whole "life of crime." It may turn people off from the server. Also I believe the concept of drug growing, smuggling, & selling is enticing enough for players to attempt, regardless of whether or not it's worth the potential consequences, so if I were you, I either wouldn't make it too profitable, or too easy to accomplish without consequence; otherwise everyone on your server is going to be involved with it. Ideally, I would try to keep the amount of people who are "drug involved" to a population of about 30% tops.

Loki8213

Traveler
Gorelord13;831906 said:
Well the drugs i listed are all used Illegally for a high, if you (or others) managed to make them, you could make a "Drug crafting system" off of this and make them all profitable, and each drug has its own side effects"

Acid/Magic Mushroom = Hallucenations (make monsters only they can see that att them)
Morphine/Vikoden = painkillers (makes them loose strength and stamina)
Heroin/Cocain = Narcotics (makes them dependant on them, makes them need to use it every once in awhile or a side effect kicks in)

and i thought of a really nice side effect for pot :p but that can all work on your shard, each drug in there does one harmful thing or another, so it is possible to use all of them for your idea.

what do you think?

Although these effects are good & logical (considering drugs have much more negative effects than positive), I would recommend including some "positive" effects. Even if it doesn't necessarily equal up to the negative. Although players might like these drugs that have nothing but negative effects at first, eventually they will tire of them. I imagine it being like some kind of "fad." If you include some positive effects, the drug's will at least offer some type of purpose & offer more temptation for the player to become involved with them. After all, if they have nothing but negative effects to offer, why take the risk? The "coolness" factor only goes so far, & defeats the concept of "dependency."

BTW, I meant to mention: a good way to monitor the effectiveness of this system, could possibly be to add some kind of survey. For example, you can ask people how long they've played your server, whether or not they've ever involved themselves with your drug system, if they like it, any complaints or comments they might have, would they recommend it to someone else either playing the server or creating their own server, etc.

Thagoras

Sorceror
UO is a game that is truly ran by players, & with that freedom comes not only the social aspects of online playing, but a living and vibrant economy. The economy is a big part of what makes UO what it is.

UO is a game with a terribly broken economy. Vendors will buy anything...with almost unending gold supplies. Hoarding is the norm. Things don't wear our anywhere near as much as they should. Resources just spawn everywhere. Gold is so plentyful that even the mongbats don't know what to do with it. People aren't taxed, services aren't paid for. If something can be made for players to sink gold in without generating much waste and is a fun addition, all the better.

See The In-game Economics of Ultima Online

UO doesn't do enough with cause and affect. It's a game with supposed virtues, yet it doesn't take it as far as it could. I like the concept of good and evil. Most games don't really touch the subject. I don't want the drug theme to be a major option at all...but I do want it to be an option...just like PKing is an option. It's there, but there are better ways to have fun (or at least, better for me. But then, everyone isn't like me). I just want it so there are negative consequences for some actions...like in real life. If there weren't any negative consequences, it wouldn't be any fun to take the risk.

Gorelord13

Wanderer
Very true, but you also failed to mencion that the owners of the shard controls how "easy" it is to get things, or how fast things degrade, you say that the economy is poor and everything is so easy to get, well if that is your view, change how much gold is dropped or how fast items degrade, its not like its hardwired into the game making it unchangable, my personal views are, the shard reflects the owner, if a shard is in poor condition and players are leaving it, the owner is to blame, because he/she just didnt take the time to make the players happy, players like variety, and ths drug syste however big it may be, is stil only a small part of the whole server, personally the drug system i plan to make once i sctually start learning and yes i am trying but i find it difficult as of right now, planns to be big, but small...

The economy of a server reflects how dedicated the owner is, how willing the owner is to include what the players find inspiring, i mean you wouldnt like a PVP server if it was all controlled by 1 guild, that would take away the fun from everyone, PVP is meant to be fought by everyone not just one guld killing everyone, what i look for in a server, is the variety of things to do on it, if there is nothing to do but mindlessly kill things or wealth, i quit... but if there are many things to try, apiculture, Tailoring and Blacksmithing that actually means something, even this drug system, decent quests and balanced PVP, i would be very interested in the server, its all about what the owner allows for variety that controls how the players will riact...

like if the owner set gold to be minimal and smithing actually mean something (no skill balls and easy to find Runic Hammers) you actually had to go out and kill really hard things to find these things, and actully had to take the time to mine and smelt you ores instead of buying 10k of them from a player vendor, and the owner made the items smithed actually worth something, it would get the challenge seekers into the server, but some of the more "i want everything handed to me" kind of people (guilty :D) would turn away, and look for a shard that hands everything to them (eclipse srry to say, 7x skillball and multipe millions just laying around with 30k arties just collecting dust, thats just handed to you) if you want your players to like the shard, you ned to find a median that all UO players like, somewere between "handed to you" and "super hard to find shit"

thats all i really have to say, again this is just my veiws on the subject, but the sad truth is, some people want everything easy and some want everything challenging, its all a matter of how the owners make the shard so everyone likes it.

Loki8213

Traveler
Gorelord13;831983 said:
Very true, but you also failed to mencion that the owners of the shard controls how "easy" it is to get things, or how fast things degrade, you say that the economy is poor and everything is so easy to get, well if that is your view, change how much gold is dropped or how fast items degrade, its not like its hardwired into the game making it unchangable, my personal views are, the shard reflects the owner, if a shard is in poor condition and players are leaving it, the owner is to blame, because he/she just didnt take the time to make the players happy, players like variety, and ths drug syste however big it may be, is stil only a small part of the whole server, personally the drug system i plan to make once i sctually start learning and yes i am trying but i find it difficult as of right now, planns to be big, but small...

The economy of a server reflects how dedicated the owner is, how willing the owner is to include what the players find inspiring, i mean you wouldnt like a PVP server if it was all controlled by 1 guild, that would take away the fun from everyone, PVP is meant to be fought by everyone not just one guld killing everyone, what i look for in a server, is the variety of things to do on it, if there is nothing to do but mindlessly kill things or wealth, i quit... but if there are many things to try, apiculture, Tailoring and Blacksmithing that actually means something, even this drug system, decent quests and balanced PVP, i would be very interested in the server, its all about what the owner allows for variety that controls how the players will riact...

like if the owner set gold to be minimal and smithing actually mean something (no skill balls and easy to find Runic Hammers) you actually had to go out and kill really hard things to find these things, and actully had to take the time to mine and smelt you ores instead of buying 10k of them from a player vendor, and the owner made the items smithed actually worth something, it would get the challenge seekers into the server, but some of the more "i want everything handed to me" kind of people (guilty :D) would turn away, and look for a shard that hands everything to them (eclipse srry to say, 7x skillball and multipe millions just laying around with 30k arties just collecting dust, thats just handed to you) if you want your players to like the shard, you ned to find a median that all UO players like, somewere between "handed to you" and "super hard to find shit"

thats all i really have to say, again this is just my veiws on the subject, but the sad truth is, some people want everything easy and some want everything challenging, its all a matter of how the owners make the shard so everyone likes it.

That's funny, I've made that same argument for the longest time. The problem is "people want things." And often they want it so bad that they'll take it if you hand it to them. They look for the "easy" way to get things. But what people fail to realize is that having something isn't nearly as much fun as "trying to get it." I know it may sound a bit stupid at first, but think in terms of holidays. As a child there was always a TON of stuff I wanted for christmas; But when I actually got that stuff, I barely even used most of it. I surely didn't want it as much as before when I didn't have it. It's that drive that keeps people going. That wanting something that starves our desires. One thing about UO, is that unlike other MMO's like WOW, after you "max out" a character on skill & items, there's still so much more to do. In a "player ran game/economy" like UO, there is no limit to the amount of power that on can achieve; whether it be financial, political, etc. It's fun to have everything in a game, but it becomes boring after a while. It's all about power; why do players want to get strong? Why do players want to become rich? Why do players want to interact socially? Everyone want's to simply "get ahead of the pack." It's all one big competition, & as you said Gorelord, the more effort & options you provide for a player in the uo community (which is already substantially high considering the amount of game content), the more potential any individual player has of obtaining some kind of power. This script provides one of many other essential "paths" that one may take to acquire that "power."

Thagoras

Sorceror
I agree. And one point I would like to bring up. Has any of you ever played DrugLord? For those of you who haven't, it's a game where you work your way up to being a drug lord through import and export of drugs based on market values of different regions. It was written back in the days of DOS...before Windows (for all you youngsters). I liked the basic premiss of the game...which is why I'm planning on making a number of NPCs to help out creating the market (and ambiance), if the players don't. I have a small server with just friends and family. I wish to make my NPCs available to everyone, however, because I think that others would enjoy it.

Gorelord13

Wanderer
exactly my point, and i talked to my brother and he sent me a 1000 page complete guide to C#, in the next few weeks im going to study it and try my hand at making this system more "expansive" this system post is turning out to be quite a intelectual conversation about economy :p

Hey....!

would love to have this script running on my server. love the efforts put forward by you guys... however i had these errors come up when restarting my server... can yall help please! =D thanks.

RunUO - [www.runuo.com] Version 2.0, Build 3567.2838
Core: Running on .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727
Core: Optimizing for 2 64-bit processors
Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...failed (9 errors, 0 warnings)
Errors:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Paraphernalia!/Marijuana/Marijuana_Joint.cs:

CS0234: Line 10: The type or namespace name 'Scripts' does not exist in the
namespace 'Server' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Paraphernalia!/Marijuana/Marijuana_RollingPa
per.cs:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Paraphernalia!/Marijuana/Marijuana_WaterBong
.cs:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Plant Harvests/Marijuana/Marijuana_Crop.cs:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Plant Harvests/Marijuana/Marijuana_Leaves.cs
:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Plant Harvests/Marijuana/Marijuana_Seedlings
.cs:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/Plant Harvests/Marijuana/Marijuana_Seeds.cs:

+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/System Engine/DrugSystem_Delete.cs:
+ CUSTOM SCRIPTS/Harvestable Drugs/System Engine/DrugSystem_Engine.cs:
Scripts: One or more scripts failed to compile or no script files were found.
- Press return to exit, or R to try again.

Thagoras

Sorceror
I'd be willing to bet that the line isn't needed. I was looking over other scripts and they don't use that.

just comment out the line

//using Server.Scripts;

Sythen

Sorceror
Yea I Had Put A Fix To That Error In The 2nd Post Some Time Ago :p :D

The using Server.Scripts is added because some of the code I borrowed off other scripts had that at the top of their files. I did not know if it was necessary or not and so I didn't want to mess with it. In RunUO 2.0 [Callandor2k's ML SVN] it works and compiles fine. However in RunUO 2.0 RC1 Final you will get the error listed above. Also read that 2nd post because there is a TerMur edit you must make as well if you don't have an SA compatible server.

Thanks.

i apologize i didnt think to read if that had been addressed or not already, SA compaitible would be just updated to 7.0.5.0 correct? Thanks for the replies guys.