RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a Idea just need direction

old_school

Wanderer
Have a Idea just need direction

Ok guys heres th deal I want to make a installer that combines UO, Razor and my shards custom setup all in one exe that sets a player up were they get the razor icon on teh desktop, uo with our patches preinstalled and they click razor get option to choose our shard. How doable is this?

Let me explain what I want. Basicaly I want a installer that sets the player up completely just by installing our version. They click the razor icon brings up our shard they connect boom there done. The point is to be able to burn it to a disk then start distrubting it to the general public free. Can we do this and is this legal?

arul

Sorceror
Yes, with installer solutions like Nullsoft installer, Microsoft Installer or Inno setup you can do pretty much anything.

Whether it's legal or not - I have no idea, I'm not a lawyer, you may try reading the licenses of the products you want to include on the CD. However, as long as you distribute the CD's without any fees, it should be ok in my opinion.

old_school

Wanderer
lmao wow ok thanks man for the info Yeah I dont see how they can saything u can allready download the game for free lol

Acronis

Sorceror
Unfortunatly it's illegal. I've thought of doing this for my shard just so the client can be downloaded from a single source and be prepatched with latest OSI patch rather then have people patch (for some reason patching tends to fail for some people) but yeah, illegal. Now I suppose what you *could* do is have your installer automaticly download the client from EA and run the setup then do the rest of the stuff, but then you have to keep changing the url, and you still have to depend on EA keeping the client up. Eventually they might just pull it off and charge for it, that's out of our control.

Jeff

Lord
Acronis;796273 said:
Unfortunatly it's illegal. I've thought of doing this for my shard just so the client can be downloaded from a single source and be prepatched with latest OSI patch rather then have people patch (for some reason patching tends to fail for some people) but yeah, illegal. Now I suppose what you *could* do is have your installer automaticly download the client from EA and run the setup then do the rest of the stuff, but then you have to keep changing the url, and you still have to depend on EA keeping the client up. Eventually they might just pull it off and charge for it, that's out of our control.

Here you go again with outrageous information.... god....

P.S. why did you use the name of a popular disk imaging software?

Jeff

Lord
Acronis;796428 said:
What is your problem?

My problem is 90% of you posts are full of bullshit. Stop trying to act smart on here, and back your comments up with some proof before you make them...

Acronis

Sorceror
So are you saying it's actually legal to host the UO client and modify it? If yes could you point me to a viable resource that states this? I've always had the impression it was illegal.

Jeff

Lord
Acronis;796273 said:
Now I suppose what you *could* do is have your installer automaticly download the client from EA and run the setup then do the rest of the stuff, but then you have to keep changing the url, and you still have to depend on EA keeping the client up. Eventually they might just pull it off and charge for it, that's out of our control.

I was referring to this asinine statement.... You really think they are going to charge to download UO... give me a fucking break...

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Jeff;796733 said:
I was referring to this asinine statement.... You really think they are going to charge to download UO... give me a fucking break...
I think its a valid statement. Sure, they will probably never charge for it again, but it's perfectly reasonable to think they may take it down or relocate it.

Acronis

Sorceror
Kitchen_;796739 said:
I think its a valid statement. Sure, they will probably never charge for it again, but it's perfectly reasonable to think they may take it down or relocate it.

Exactly. You can never assume it will stay there forever. I highly doubt they would take it down, but nothing stops them from doing it. Heck, they said they would actually discontinue the client at one point. They probably changed their mind th ough as the response to KR was not as good as they hoped.

That said, I keep it on my network server at home and i also zip up my whole client after a patch.

Jeff

Lord
Kitchen_;796739 said:

My point was that they wouldn't charge for it... Stop being a prick just to be one, you are only agreeing with Acronis because you know i don't care for you and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Stuart lil

Sorceror
Not saying i agree with anyone in particular here, but with the relocation, yeah maybe, but if one freeshard does it out of hell i dont know how many, why would they bother..
BUT, since uo have gone so insanely unpopular OSI style i wouldnt be suprised if they just pull the plugg and stash it next to that SimsLive thing they had going a while ago hehe.

But they will never ever EVER charge for the game, they got their 20 regular players on europe, and they need all they can get heh.

Intresting Idea Old-School, and i would do it if i were you, though i am pretty sure its illegal, redistrubution in any way that is, free or not, pretty sure, not certain =P ( To lazy to read the license of anything )

oiii88

Sorceror
Not going to say its LEGAL but I know of 2 shards operating right now that requires you to download their installer which installs UO with their customs and patched to the server level to a separate folder under a separate name. Rather a pain in the ass if you ask me to have to change razor to launch a secondary EXE then change it back to default directory if playing another shard and then also install a whole separate instance of UO just to play their shard.

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Jeff;796781 said:
My point was that they wouldn't charge for it... Stop being a prick just to be one, you are only agreeing with Acronis because you know i don't care for you and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Voicing my opinion on something we disagree on is not being a prick.

Jeff

Lord
Kitchen_;799162 said:
Voicing my opinion on something we disagree on is not being a prick.

You cannot honestly think they would charge to download UO... give me a break..

old_school

Wanderer
Ok thanks Jeff,oiii88 , Stuart lil, remnant, Acronis, nevar2006, arul for the insight. I think were going to move forward with the idea and use that microsoft tool suggested.