RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for the newbie

Theodric

Traveler
Server support...looks like the right place to post this.

I've read on how to setup an runuo server...but what im wondering about it, how do i go about getting a site, and a hosting service over the internet? ive done alot of searching, but i have no idea where to look.

My server population at first , i suspect, wouldn't be over 20-30 players.

what im idealy looking for, is a server with the same name as the website, for login information.

Such as www.website.com, [email protected], and login to server www.website.com:1234

im baffled by it.

Thanks in advance!

Twlizer

Sorceror
you will have to host the web page on same server as the Runuo.exe

Your MX records will have to point to same machine to accomplish this.

Theodric

Traveler
So I'm curious, what type of server specs should I be looking at for a beginning shard? And where do others host theirs, not advertizing, just so i could get an idea. Thanks!

boba

Sorceror
Depends on your budget

virtual server, shared servers, or full servers

for 20-30 players you really don't need a powerful server

the basic virtual server you can get for around $20.00 a month

the medium server around $70.00 a month

the higher end server 400 plus clients around 150.00 a month

if you want more information I can lead you to the right direction and I get a discount on mine if you sign up :)

Theodric

Traveler
That sounds great! I'm not sure the difference between the three types of servers.. Altho I do have a junk Pc laying around, btub i would like to research which one would be best for my current situation

LFFPicard

Sorceror
Not being horrible, if you do not know this you will really struggle.
Having a old PC laying around wont help, not unless you have a good connection and plan to host it all yourself.

Contrary to what you have been told on this thread, the website and server DO NOT need to be on the same server to share the same domain. This is where advanced DNS comes in to forward the sub domain to a different server.

Your best bet is a Virtual Private Server (VPS), this is essentially a server divided into say 3/4 machines so one server can serve 3/4 people. This means all resources like disk space, ram etc are shared between the 3/4 people. A VPS is essentially like your PC, you will be given remote login details so you can access the server and then you can start installing what you like, The downside to these types of servers is the fact you have to set everything up yourself, so .net 4.0 needs to be installed, pph, mysql and and RunUO and anything else you need.

I would advise you to maintain your shard on your PC while developing and I would join a current shard and try and learn more about the server side of it before proceeding. The startup cost can be expensive depending on what you want as you will need the following:

VPS Hosting
Domain name
control panel license
windows license (if not included)
upgrade costs (if the shard populates and slows down you will need to upgrade and increase your system resources)

Twlizer

Sorceror
His Question was this with the login being on a different port without a subdomain
Such as www.website.com, [email protected], and login to server www.website.com:1234

My answer was this because of the MX records arlready pointing to the webserver
Your MX records will have to point to same machine to accomplish this.

Which makes the statement you made to me incorrect. If not on the same server please explain how he can accomplish this without a subdomanin? If am am wrong please correct me on how to accomplish this without a sub domain or using the same PC. Maybe the poster and me both learn something new today..

Mortis

Knight
Is possible Server at IP or domain name/ port, Website at IP or domain name/ port:, Most paid for domain names come with an email account you can set up to at least 5 accounts. [email protected]

I know because I had done just such a thing in the past. On a Windows 2003 web server.

Twlizer

Sorceror
Whats up Mortis!!

I think his question was how can he keep the webserver address the same as the Server.login address and just use differ ports.

My thought was just place them on the same machine but im sure you could write a little script to transport the client to another machine if that was a stickler for you.

To me the best and easiest way to do it is with sub domains but I don't think that is what he wanted..

Mortis

Knight
Hey Twlizer hows things?

Theodric:
If you run the server and a web server on the same machine and install IIS or Apache they will have the same address and can use different ports. If you buy a domain name it usually comes with a email account at the same domain name. Years ago I bought my domain name through *cough* Go-Daddy and ran the server on a host machine I paid for.

So I was able to have the server be mydomain.com:2593 website as mydomain.com:1500 and email was set up as [email protected].

You may also be able to set it up using something along the lines of no-ip.com service I also remember one being called servegame.com or something like that. They were Dynamic DNS services. For non static ip's

http://www.gnutomorrow.com/best-free-dynamic-dns-services-in-2013/

Some routers come with a set up for dynamic dns. My old netgear did.

You will have to use web hosting software with dynamic dns or a bought domain name. Domain name has to be set to point to the machine using "Name servers" or "DNS servers" <--Wherever you buy your domain name will have a way to do this. I think the dynamic dns services do this for you. With the dynamic dns service you would also have to set up a mail client on the hosting machine. Though if IIS or Apache are installed you can run your website and install PHP, MySQL, ODBC drivers, PHPMyAdmin and be able to set up and run a PHPBB forum. The order in which to install them goes as PHP, MySQL, ODBC drivers, PHPMyAdmin, PHPBB. PHPMyAdmin just makes it easier to make the database for the PHPBB forum and connect it to MySQL.

Mortis

Knight
HEH,

I spent seven weeks in the hospital recently and set all the above to this PC except the dynamic dns. I was bored out of my mind.

A few pics added to see some of what I was talking about.

Attachments

• Forum.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 6
  • forum2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IIS.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 6
  • MySql.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Status.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 5
  • ODBC.jpg