RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helping hand

Bradley

Sorceror
Helping hand

I know I'm not new, and I hope i'm not breaking any rule by posting here.

Most people here know that I'm willing to help anyone new to programming or .NET. So if you would like some .NET help feel free to contact me.

I'm not an expert on RunUO specificly, but I think I know .NET good enough to try to help.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
you're more than welcome to help anyone that needs it.

I just dont want people being mean to the new users any more.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
I must agree, I see a great many people posting things like "get a C# book" or what not in reply to help requests that are obviously posted by a newbie that is trying to learn. I personally learn better by doing rather than reading anyway and I'm sure a good many others are like this too.

It wasn't long ago that I too was a newbie at C#, and still to this day I grudge along, although I am learn very fast :D but it is not long enough yet to forget what its like trying to actually understand the parts of the language the elite scripters tend to take for granted that all people know.

I believe I saw somewhere an idea like this posted and I am glad it has been put into effect, I for one will browse in search of answers and to help provide them as often as I can.

KillerBeeZ

p. s.
The Phantom thing is funny :D

angelofdeath

Wanderer
Yes I am the same way killerbeez and just like you i am trying to learn C# and everything i need help on a script i am making. i post the problem then i get a cocky remark from phantom and that guy pisses me off.

Thorax

Wanderer
angelofdeath said:
Yes I am the same way killerbeez and just like you i am trying to learn C# and everything i need help on a script i am making. i post the problem then i get a cocky remark from phantom and that guy pisses me off.

*looks At Ryan*

KillerBeeZ

Knight
angelofdeath said:

yes Phantom has a way of "pissing" a lot of people off, but in his defence I can say that he has helped me by pointing me in the right direction once or twice, the problem is that he can be real vauge about it. He wants people to learn how to look up the info they need for themselves while most of those people just want to dive in and make/edit something, or to get what they made to work correctly.

This will be all I say about Phantom here however because I believe it to be wrong to talk about someone where they cannot post and defend themselves.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
RobZGod said:
Great idea for the forum. Lets just hope it dosent become a 'diss phantom behind his back' forum. :?

I'm not sure how it works but I think maybe Phantom can still read the posts, but can't reply.

stormwolff

Knight
I think the best way for a non computer programmer to get into the scripts is to open them up and take a look. Try to learn what the script does and how it does it.

Start small try changing one part of one script and go from there. Trial and error can be a scripters best friends.

Don't try to do too much at once when you are starting out. If you want to create a bunch of new npcs or weapons do not try to code them all at once try to do it one at a time.

Take your errors one at a time as well. Most errors can be worked out by looking at the reference line that the error gives you.

Thorax

Wanderer
KillerBeeZ said:
angelofdeath said:

yes Phantom has a way of "pissing" a lot of people off, but in his defence I can say that he has helped me by pointing me in the right direction once or twice, the problem is that he can be real vauge about it. He wants people to learn how to look up the info they need for themselves while most of those people just want to dive in and make/edit something, or to get what they made to work correctly.

This will be all I say about Phantom here however because I believe it to be wrong to talk about someone where they cannot post and defend themselves.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe Phantom is not allowed to post in here simply because more times than not people perceive his replys to be flames. this is why i suggested that this forum be created (cause i got sick of him doing it to me). Also, Ryan ripped me a new one for argueing with Phantom about something stupid (in the scripts forum).