RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House sizes

ejsaunders

Wanderer
House sizes

Hi all

I'm wondering if there is the possibility of changing the max largest size of house?

What I mean is, currently I think its 18x18 isn't it for a custom house? Well, basically, my idea is to have pre-placed houses owned by the shard admin which would be given to the players via a script when they buy the deed from the NPC or players could be rewarded by having houses given them for completing quests or general account age/play time on shard.

However, I'd like to be able to offer players the option of having a customisable castle sized house because I've always thought that the unused space in castles is a bit of a waste and should be useable in some way - this way players could make it useable by making a castle-like house using the custom design and then use teleporters to get to the 'blocked off' parts.

Is this at all possible and if so, which script needs editing? I've looked in the base scripts but can't find anything.

Joeku

Lord
You'd need to edit/distribute client-side files, because the 18x18 house is as big as it is allowed w/ the client. I'm not sure if it's only an art limitation, or if it's something more. It MIGHT be possible to make a script that would place two of these, side-by-side at once, but I don't know if it would be possible to include them in the same region/make the entire thing editable at once. This is something worth looking into, but I doubt that the devs would add it into RunUO 2.0 because it doesn't help attribute to mirroring OSI/general function that makes starting a shard easier.

Greystar

Wanderer
ejsaunders said:
Hi all

I'm wondering if there is the possibility of changing the max largest size of house?

What I mean is, currently I think its 18x18 isn't it for a custom house? Well, basically, my idea is to have pre-placed houses owned by the shard admin which would be given to the players via a script when they buy the deed from the NPC or players could be rewarded by having houses given them for completing quests or general account age/play time on shard.

However, I'd like to be able to offer players the option of having a customisable castle sized house because I've always thought that the unused space in castles is a bit of a waste and should be useable in some way - this way players could make it useable by making a castle-like house using the custom design and then use teleporters to get to the 'blocked off' parts.

Is this at all possible and if so, which script needs editing? I've looked in the base scripts but can't find anything.

I would agree, however every attempt I made at doing this failed. I think it is a client limitation like Joeku mentioned right before this post. Only solution i found was to allow players to have multiple houses and let a player place one house then give me the gold to place the outher houses for them as long as a castle sized footprint fits there. well 4 18x18s as well. There may be a way to make an exact 30x30 (which i think a castle is, either that or 32x32) but I didn't feel like figuring it out and the player gave me gold for 4 18s so thats what they got, they built a nice castle equivalent out of it, but they built each part a part at a time. The outside walls that might be an inside wall had issues so they redesigned it, but it worked in the long run. Would be nice to be able to do this, but since OSI's only got 18x18 as the biggest size I don't forsee RunUO ever having anything bigger.

Dian

Sorceror
I would think the only reason there is any limitation is because that is the largest 'Plot' size in the Multi.mul / multi.idx files. I can hardly imagine that the client has anything to do with the size limitations.. since you can create custom multi houses of any size, add them to the multi files, and place them just fine too.. so long as you script them in.

If you created some more plots that were larger, I would nearly bet they would work just fine. Although you would need to patch your players with these new files.. same as a map pr statics file change. There could be a mod needed to the house builder tool.. but I cant say for certain ther,e since i have never really looked into those files.

Joeku

Lord
I didn't say it was a client limitation, I said it was a client-side limitation... as in you can't just make a script to do it. You would need to make/distribute a patch of files (probably the ones you mentioned just now, Multi.mul and Multi.idx).

Greystar

Wanderer
Joeku said:
I didn't say it was a client limitation, I said it was a client-side limitation... as in you can't just make a script to do it. You would need to make/distribute a patch of files (probably the ones you mentioned just now, Multi.mul and Multi.idx).

to me client limitation and client-side limitation are the same. but you are also probably correct with this post as well.

joshw

Sorceror
The easyest way to do this is make a new multi foundation all of the dif size plots are multis to begin with if you look at inside uo multi area youll see all the plots there just patch in a 30x30 foundation style and you should be able to make that size

Dian

Sorceror
Joeku said:

okay, yeah. misunderstanding on everyone here. client, or client-side limitation sounds about the same to most people.. I just scanned your post, missing your mention of patching.. But its not probably the files I mentioned, it is the files i mentioned. I have patched numerous custom houses in the multi files, just never plots.. since I have never supported that style of custom houseing. My only thought was if the house builder suported anything bigger than the default sizes, so one might have to edit that part in scripts for a larger plot size.. I just dont know for certain there.

ejsaunders

Wanderer
Thanks

Thanks all for answering.

I'd rather not have to have people download customs because of the problems that might cause in the short and long term, so I guess if I need to have large customs I'll use Knives TH script instead and make it that way; at least then it'll be the right size without client patching.

nomad707

Knight
CLient patching would help though.. to freeze the buildings you are using with townhouses.. freezing means less items, means better save time, means shows up on radar. just my opinion.