RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Configure RunUO for Linux

rewrite

Wanderer
Code:
gmcs -out:../runuo.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Managemen,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs

./Scripts/Misc/WelcomeTimer.cs(17,113): error CS1012: Too many characters in cha
racter literal
./Scripts/Misc/WelcomeTimer.cs(17,212): error CS1012: Too many characters in cha
racter literal
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warnings

how can I fix it?

Jonlas

Wanderer
problems

Im having trobles at opening RunUO.exe with the command "mono runuo.exe"
It says that no such a file or directory exist... What is the problem? Is there another way of starting runuo.exe with mono?

Scriptiz

Sorceror
If you type
Code:
ls

Do you see the RunUO.exe file?

What return you this command :
Code:
mono -V

Have you entered "mono RunUO.exe" with the good case? (lowercase or uppercase letters)

Shoie13

Wanderer
Assuming I wanted to install UO on my remote VPS, is there a link where I can download just the install files already extracted into a tar/zip since I can't install it?

:eek: I have spent a lot of time tryign to install this and make it work. The instructions in the begining of this post are OUT DATED and apparently do not work with the current 2.0 release. WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE give us linux ametures a complete run through, step by step with ANY distribution that works? PLEASE :) I am a medium Linux user (somewhere above novice) and things are not going well and I have spent probably 6 or so hours only to end up with Ubuntu 9.10 both server and desktop editoin. There are not instructions on how to install Wine.. I learned that on my own ok.. but there is dissagreement even along the post whether the UO client install is even necessary, when I think it really is.. but have no idea really. Also, is the Mondain's Legacy still the client to use with the new distribution, or should we use a different one. Also, when you launch the client from wine.. it automatically updates itself via EA.. is this a good thing or bad (does it change files and make things not work?). The compiling command doesnt seem to work without errors, and of the available downloads do we not compile the one that has MONO in the file name? Anyway.. the list goes on.. PLEASE HELP someone with a new checklist or proceedure for this latest release.

Thanks,
GM

All in all, I love UO and want a server really bad.. but NEED help.

robynuo

Sorceror
As far as I remember you only need Wine if you want to start or play UO from your Linux Computer.
Runuo only needs the UO files in a directory and no wine is needed.
I just copied the UO directory from my windows computer to the Linux Computer.

The client connectiong with EA is not necessarily a bad thing, but yes it can make UO not to work if EA changes encryption or other important stuff.

Then you need to tell runuo in a script where your UO Installation is in datapath cs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erucid

Sorceror
Hey guys, here is where I'm stuck

Code:
sysop@RunUO-01:/data/RunUO$ cat ./compile.sc
# unzip -o RunUO-2.0-RC2.zip
# unzip -o RunUO-Linux-07FEB2008.zip
#ln -s /usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll /usr/lib/mono/1.0/mscorlib.dll
gmcs -out:../runuo.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs

sysop@RunUO-01:/data/RunUO$ sudo ./compile.sc
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Data'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Web'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Web.Services'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Windows.Forms'
Compilation failed: 4 error(s), 0 warnings
sysop@RunUO-01:/data/RunUO$
or
Code:
sysop@RunUO-01:/data/RunUO$ mono RunUO.exe
RunUO - [www.runuo.com] Version 2.0, Build 2959.20979
Core: Running on .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727
Core: Unix environment detected
Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...ScriptCompiler: CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Web.dll'
ScriptCompiler: CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Data.dll'
ScriptCompiler: CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Windows.Forms.dll'
done (0 errors, 0 warnings)
Scripts: One or more scripts failed to compile or no script files were found.
 - Press return to exit, or R to try again.
Exiting...done
I think I unzipped everythning and I installed everything. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Eagerly awaiting your advice.

Scriptiz

Sorceror
I just come back to linux after a few moments on Windows, actually everithing goes great for me and RunUO.

First do a SVN checkout on the repository :
Code:
svn co http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/

Then you'll have a 'devel' dir, go in this directory, then in the Server subfolder.

When you're in this directory (Server) hit this command :
Code:
mono-csc -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs

It will produce you a 'RunUO.exe' file in the top directory (devel).

Just hit mono RunUO.exe when you're in the same subdirectory to launch RunUO. It will compile files and you'll have to enter the UO installation dir.

I don't have tried if the 'libz' was still needing a symbolic link cause I haven't installed the client on my linux so let me know if you have an error when you send a gump to the client. Then you'll just have to do a symbolic link to libz.

Erucid

Sorceror
Thanks for the quick reply!

:-L

Just Kidding.

Oddly enough I was jut thinking that I'd like to give this another wack, but using a debian system. I'm going to reinstall the OS and everything and I'll be reporting back with any problems.

One quick question, do I need to install the client (via wine) on my server box? That just doesn't make sense unless I wanted to play the game from the server. And if I don't need the client installed, do I need a gui?

Jeff

Lord
Erucid;841626 said:
Thanks for the quick reply!

:-L

Just Kidding.

Oddly enough I was jut thinking that I'd like to give this another wack, but using a debian system. I'm going to reinstall the OS and everything and I'll be reporting back with any problems.

One quick question, do I need to install the client (via wine) on my server box? That just doesn't make sense unless I wanted to play the game from the server. And if I don't need the client installed, do I need a gui?

No you just need the files specified in Misc/DataPaths.cs

Erucid

Sorceror
reinstalled and I'm back to
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Data'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Web'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Web.Services'
error CS0006: cannot find metadata file `System.Windows.Forms'
Compilation failed: 4 error(s), 0 warnings

Code:
mono-csc -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,SysteConfiguration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs
bash: mono-csc: command not found

Erucid

Sorceror
Ok, here is where I'm at now.

Nedimare-01:/runuo# gmcs -out:../runuo.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs

move files from CD or from UO install manually, not automated.
./TileMatrix.cs(405,78): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrix.cs(478,66): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrixPatch.cs(105,83): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrixPatch.cs(174,91): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./Item.cs(1904,37): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.Item.SetSaveFlag(ref Server.Item.SaveFlag, Server.Item.SaveFlag, bool)' is never used
./Timer.cs(365,36): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.Timer.m_QueueCountAtSlice' is assigned but its value is never used
./ScriptCompiler.cs(532,30): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.ScriptCompiler.LoadScriptedAssembly(System.Collections.Generic.List<System.Reflection.Assembly>, string, Server.ScriptCompiler.Compiler, bool)' is never used
./Gumps/Gump.cs(370,32): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.Gumps.Gump.Compile()' is never used
./Persistence/FileQueue.cs(39,37): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.FileQueue.Chunk.offset' is assigned but its value is never used
Compilation succeeded - 9 warning(s)

Nedimare-01:/runuo# mono runuo.exe -debug
Code:
RunUO - [www.runuo.com] Version 2.1, Build 3811.7208
Core: Running with arguments: -debug
Error:
System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
  at System.Runtime.GCSettings.get_IsServerGC () [0x00000]
  at Server.Core.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
This exception is fatal, press return to exit

anticipating your advice!

Scriptiz

Sorceror
@Erucid

What is your Mono version?

Code:
mono -V

mono-csc compiler is available since Mono 2.4 I think.

Have you installed the following libs ?

libmono-winforms2.0-cil
libmono-system-data2.0-cil
libmono-system-web2.0-cil

Code:
sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil

Step by step RunUO installation
Code:
# sudo apt-get install mono-2.0-devel

# sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil

# mono -V
Mono JIT compiler version 2.4.2.3 (Debian 2.4.2.3+dfsg-2~bpo50+1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  x86
        Disabled:      none

# svn co http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/
Révision 520 extraite.

# cd devel/Server/
# mono-csc -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs
./TileMatrix.cs(405,78): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrix.cs(478,66): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrixPatch.cs(105,83): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./TileMatrixPatch.cs(174,91): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
./Item.cs(1904,37): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.Item.SetSaveFlag(ref Server.Item.SaveFlag, Server.Item.SaveFlag, bool)' is never used
./Timer.cs(365,36): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.Timer.m_QueueCountAtSlice' is assigned but its value is never used
./ScriptCompiler.cs(532,30): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.ScriptCompiler.LoadScriptedAssembly(System.Collections.Generic.List<System.Reflection.Assembly>, string, Server.ScriptCompiler.Compiler, bool)' is never used
./Gumps/Gump.cs(370,32): warning CS0169: The private method `Server.Gumps.Gump.Compile()' is never used
./Persistence/FileQueue.cs(39,37): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.FileQueue.Chunk.offset' is assigned but its value is never used
Compilation succeeded - 9 warning(s)

# cd ..
# mono RunUO.exe
RunUO - [www.runuo.com] Version 2.1, Build 3819.27611
Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...done (0 errors, 0 warnings)
Scripts: Skipping VB.NET Scripts...done (use -vb to enable)
Scripts: Verifying...done (2267 items, 530 mobiles)
Enter the Ultima Online directory:
>

Erucid

Sorceror
Code:
sysop@Nedimare-01:~$ mono -V
Mono JIT compiler version 1.9.1 (tarball)
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  x86
        Disabled:      none
and
Code:
Nedimare-01:/home/sysop# apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libmono-winforms2.0-cil is already the newest version.
libmono-system-data2.0-cil is already the newest version.
libmono-system-data2.0-cil set to manually installed.
libmono-system-web2.0-cil is already the newest version.
libmono-system-web2.0-cil set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
(I went ahead and manually updated the manually installed) But...

Code:
Nedimare-01:/home/sysop/devel/Server# mono-csc -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs
[B]bash: mono-csc: command not found[/B]
:confused:
And if you google that error, you only find me... fascinating. I'm the only one who has had that problem and on 2 different distributions.

Scriptiz

Sorceror
Erucid, I say that mono-csc is available since mono 2.4.

You have mono 1.9 so use gmcs to compile.

All you have to do is to replace mono-csc by gmcs in the commande :

Code:
gmcs -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs

Erucid

Sorceror
Scriptiz;843703 said:
Erucid, I say that mono-csc is available since mono 2.4.

You have mono 1.9 so use gmcs to compile.

All you have to do is to replace mono-csc by gmcs in the commande :

Code:
gmcs -out:../RunUO.exe -d:MONO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml -nowarn:219 -recurse:*.cs
AWESOME, thanks for that info. Now I can quit beating my head on that wall. BUT

using gmcs -out, it does compile with warnings, and no erros. But the server dies as I described above (or click this linky) when i type "mono runuo.exe"

Scriptiz

Sorceror
Erucid;843707 said:
AWESOME, thanks for that info. Now I can quit beating my head on that wall. BUT

using gmcs -out, it does compile with warnings, and no erros. But the server dies as I described above (or click this linky) when i type "mono runuo.exe"

The warnings during compilation are normal, no matter there :)

But this one :
"System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
at System.Runtime.GCSettings.get_IsServerGC () [0x00000]"

That's due to an old bug because GCSettings was in System and not in System.Runtime :
[Mono-bugs] [Bug 378359] New: Missing System.Runtime.GCSettings class in

All you have to do to correct this bug is to update mono :)

Erucid

Sorceror
That is some handy info, thanks!!!

I added the debian repo
Code:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
and then removed and reinstalled mono. Now mono -V says
Code:
Mono JIT compiler version 2.4.4

I compiled the Scripts and created my owner account and I'm now Listening on port 2593. I have yet to test by connecting with a client. But I'm getting closer. I'm SO excited!!

I do have a few additional questions.

I have not applied the linux patch described by the original poster of this thread. And I don't see the patch as a step in Scriptiz most recent instructions (directly below), and the server is running. Is this patch no longer necessary?

Can I import custom scripts from my old Windows RunUO? I have modified PlayerMobile and perhaps a few other simi-critical scripts. I'm hoping I can just drag and drop them. I'm wondering what is the policy, or good practice for transferring from a windows to a linux runuo server?

I'm a big fan of xmlspawner. (coolest thing to come to runuo imo) Any advice on transferring my xmlspawns from windows? Do I need to re-install xmlspawner or can I just transplant the scripts?

Thanks,