RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am new to runuo and have a few questions...

Archaaz

Sorceror
I played UO back in 1997-98, and love it (quit because it was interfering with real world obligations). I have returned sporadically over the years to try out various free shards, though none has quite fit exactly what I am looking for.

The notion to create my own shard has been in the back of my mind for some time, though I have never really delved into actually realizing this vague dream. Looking over the forums, I admit that am a bit overwhelmed by the complexity and volume of it all, but I am certain I shall learn as everyone else does, over time and with careful study, asking questions, etc. I have begun compiling a design document on a wiki as a first step.

Before I begin to entertain the notion further, I would like to submit a few questions, if some of the more knowledgeable members (which is pretty much anyone but me) would indulge me. First my situation; I am retired, and spending my time traveling. My current computer is an ASUS netbook (not great, I know, but cheap an potable, and, until now, sufficient for my purposes). A desktop is not really feasible, as I will be traveling for some time, though a laptop is a definite possibility.

Now for the questions:

1. Can I download RunUo on a netbook, and use that computer to develop and test the world (not connecting with it)? Could I connect with it, with a small player base? If no, on either or both counts, would a laptop do the job? What are the minimum specs? I expect to spend a great deal of time learning the system and fiddling with the world before testing it out online. At some point I may be more stable, and thus able to set up a better server. I may even collaborate if I can find people who share my vision.

2. If I download RunUo and follow the instructions for setting it up, would that in itself create a viable, fully functioning server? Would I be able to create a character, move about in the world, etc? If so, what would that world resemble? Would it be a mirror of an OSI server up to such and such addition (Mondain's Legacy, for example)?

3. Through scripting, is it possible to arrive at earlier versions of the game, and to mix and match bits from various additions, retaining certain features and leaving out others. My idea is for a server with an emphasis on role-playing, something of a homage to the old Ultimas, especially my favorites IV and V, with a more old school UO aesthetic and gameplay (though a bit smoother), but incorporating certain features of later additions.

Sorry it is rather a long post. Thanks in advance for any answers or advice.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
1) I'm not completely sure, as I have very limited experience with netbooks, but I would imagine as long as it can run the .NET framework/Mono, then you could use it to run/develop a RunUO server. Testing would be limited unless you were actually logging a client in to test the things you made. Not sure how viable it would be for actually hosting the server with real players and such, a powerful enough laptop probably could.
2) I would follow the instructions for downloading/building the SVN version, as that will support the latest client. Once you do, you will have a server that you can log in, move around, all the basics there, but there won't be any spawns (monsters/animals). You would need to either manually add stuff/spawners to your world, or download a spawner package such as Nerun's Distro. That would give you a near-osi (I believe) spawned world, up to AOS I think it is.
3) Nearly anything is possible with this package via the scripts. If you really plan on learning it and fiddling with stuff, if you have any computer programming experience, you will find so much stuff possible, you won't even know where to begin, and the sky is nearly the limit. There are some things that are built into the client (graphics and some of the 'gumps' (windows within the game)) that you CAN change, but then your players would need the modified files.

My #1 piece of advice would be to get Visual C# Express or SharpDevelop (programming environments), and learn some of the basics of C#, like how variables/types work, classes and inheritance. Those seem to be the most common things people are weak on around here :) Once you know the basics of the programming language, then start digging into the Scripts folder, and it will make way more sense.

Hope this all helps!

Archaaz

Sorceror
Many thanks for the information and advice, Arvoreen! It looks like I am in for some rather intense study and experimentation. Unfortunately, my programming experience is limited to some Basic on an Apple II back in my youth (even then I was attempting to make RPGs), and a tiny bit of HTML.

I am pretty excited about the idea, though what I have in mind is actually not terribly complex. I have found a few scripts that will help, and I am still researching. There is truly a wealth of info on these forums and others. I am not trying for the next great shard with tons of innovation, just a simple shard for (hopefully) an small active RP community. After playing on a few private shards over the years, I tried a shard called In Por Ylem a few days ago. It is pretty much a remake of the old UO I remember from back in 1997, and brought back a certain thrill that seems missing (for me at least) in many of the private shards. Also, I prefer the old aesthetic, without the neons, exotic mounts, etc. Something simpler.

To be honest, a T2A build would probably do it, though I have read that it is rather difficult to accomplish with RunUo. I may opt for UOR, and simply remove access to Trammel (and the lost lands), and make Felucca look like Trammel (I found some scripts I hope will work for this). Beyond this, I want to tweak the map a bit, add some islands, towns, dungeons, features, etc. and fiddle with a few other things. There is some really good custom art out there. I even found a script for Smith the Talking Horse from the original series, which is awesome, as well as a couple of possible scripts for a gypsy card reading method for character creation, which is even better. Also, anything to make the world more immersive.

There are a few things from other extensions I would like to include, namely the use of Spellweaving for Druid magic, and Chivalry for Paladins. I have found some scripts for Druid magic that might work in lieu of this, and save me the trouble of editing out the many thing I do not want from these extensions, but I need to research this further to see if they are compatible with a UOR build.

I think my biggest challenge will be attempting to create more linear versions of the eight major classes from the original games without resorting to an actual class system, and losing the beauty and elegance of UO's skill-based system. This is primarily an attempt at creating more of a separation between fighter-based characters and magic-wielders. I know what I want to do, just not how yet...:)

Again, many thanks!

Nalo-

Sorceror
1. Yes, but it's gonna be slow as hell to process anything or compile. I'd look into a 'tier 2' laptop if you have the money ($1000-$1500 american). The netbook may work for now, if you're patient with it. No harm in trying it out, it's not that difficult to get set up.

2. YES! Like I said, it's easy and doesnt take too long (on my desktop anyway). You'd be able to create a character, you'd have access to everything, but the world mobs/items would not be spawned. If you decide to try to get a small player base, or more devs on there, you'd definitely need to upgrade to a decent laptop. Some examples: Here

3. Yes! But it takes a lottt of work to revert the code back to a Sphere-style environment (pre-2002-ish Ultima).

You're probably gonna want to use Mondain's Legacy, because it has a lot of the addons you'll want. For the most part, reverting to sphere-style is just a matter of omitting code

Here's a great source, and a great, simple wiki to start with:
http://runuo.wikispaces.com/

Archaaz

Sorceror
1. Yes, but it's gonna be slow as hell to process anything or compile. I'd look into a 'tier 2' laptop if you have the money ($1000-$1500 american). The netbook may work for now, if you're patient with it. No harm in trying it out, it's not that difficult to get set up.

2. YES! Like I said, it's easy and doesnt take too long (on my desktop anyway). You'd be able to create a character, you'd have access to everything, but the world mobs/items would not be spawned. If you decide to try to get a small player base, or more devs on there, you'd definitely need to upgrade to a decent laptop. Some examples: Here

3. Yes! But it takes a lottt of work to revert the code back to a Sphere-style environment (pre-2002-ish Ultima).

You're probably gonna want to use Mondain's Legacy, because it has a lot of the addons you'll want. For the most part, reverting to sphere-style is just a matter of omitting code

Here's a great source, and a great, simple wiki to start with:
http://runuo.wikispaces.com/

Thanks for the information Nalo!

1. I may have to wait on a rig that expensive. It worries me the possibility of backpacking around the globe with something like that, partly due to the weight, but mostly due to the thought of it getting stolen or damaged. I expect that this project is going to take me a few years. At the end of it, if the end result is satisfactory, I will likely consider something like you suggest, or [erhaps even a desk top, depending on my circumstances.

2. Thanks for the examples!

3. Thank you so much for the link. It looks like this is indeed a bit more than I initially bargained for, but I think, based on yours and Arvoreen's posts, that I may give it a whirl. At the very least I can download it and see what happens.

Again, many thanks!

Archaaz hello';

How are you doing with the project. Interestingly I'm trying to do something similar. But just started. I cant seem to find a straight answer if you can make it a stand alone shard for a while till you get smart. Reading between the lines I think it may be possible. I hope so.

Archaaz

Sorceror
Archaaz hello';

How are you doing with the project. Interestingly I'm trying to do something similar. But just started. I cant seem to find a straight answer if you can make it a stand alone shard for a while till you get smart. Reading between the lines I think it may be possible. I hope so.

I have actually decided to switch to POL (PenUltima), mostly because the scripting curve with C# was a bit too steep, and also because I am trying for a simpler approach (more like the older UO). I have a simple practice shard up and running and have created a few basic scripts for practice. I personally find POL's language (eScript) a bit easier (from a non-programmer perspective).

It runs fine on my netbook, though I will opt for something more powerful if/when I actually launch the shard. I have not yet attempted to have anyone connect to the shard, and hope to have some of my more important features at least partially implemented before this happens. I am in no hurry.

All that said, I think getting a stand alone RunUO shard up and running would not be difficult at all.

Archaaz

Sorceror
Is that a totally different game?

Actually, POL is another emulator, like RunUO and Sphere, though the architecture is rather different. I think that getting a basic shard up and running for either RunUO or POL would require about the same amount of work. Either way, you will not begin with spawns, and will need to download some files to actually spawn the world. RunUO will give you a shard closer to what the official UO servers currently offer. POL took a somewhat divergent path, which is one reason I chose it over RunUO, as I do not care for many of the changes that have taken place over the years in UO. As far as getting a fully functioning shard running as quickly, and with as little work as possible, I think RunUO might be your best bet.