RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICANN changing domain name rules

I clarified it in my edit

Anti-Basic;764963 said:
and unlimited possibilities for second levels doesn't mean they are required to allow them all to be registered. Hell, if you buy a TLD you might not be required to offer second level registrations to the public at all :confused:

Admin God

Wanderer
Vorspire;764956 said:
No offence, but you need to read up on the Domain Name Service.

Domain Name System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any computer can run a DNS server, but it must be registered and bound to the DNS Back-bone servers using A records etc.

Any computer can run a Name-Server, but that also has to be linked with your DNS server in order to propogate Domain Names correctly.

In theory, if the DNS Back-Bone supports ".travel" suffixes within it's NameServer for registering Domain Names, the amount of Domain Names available to each suffix is endless, just like with ".com", etc...

The only competition involved would be if two companies tried to buy something like "www.HelloWorld.travel"
Wrong.
Suggested reading...

ICANN | ICANN-Accredited Registrars
InterNIC | Domain Name System FAQs

...also it would be businesses fighting over "helloworld.travel" not "www.helloworld.travel" if we are getting nit picky.

Vorspire

Knight
Admin God;764973 said:
...also it would be businesses fighting over "helloworld.travel" not "www.helloworld.travel" if we are getting nit picky.

I'm not wrong, because I have ran my own hosting company in the past. I am a network administrator/developer and I fully understand how this will work.

To be "nit-picky", you must have assumed that I didn't know that www (or html_doc) was a sub-domain. It would not matter... If one company bought "HelloWorld.travel", another company couldn't. They couldn't even have "theirname.hellowworld.travel" unless the comapny that owns "HelloWorld.travel" created an A record for the sub-domain "theirname.helloworld.travel"...

I see what's going on here though you are right in some ways, since GoDaddy just closed .me to the public.

Admin God

Wanderer
The idea we are talking about is company x becomes the registry holder for the TLD .ebay even though they have no affliation with ebay. They then decide that they will not register any domains for the company ebay and instead register people who hate ebay or who run competitive websites to ebay or some variation of this.

No one here is arguing the structure of DNS. We are talking TLDs. Under the proposed new system, any tom, dick, or harry could go and make a new TLD. There is no way ICANN could police all possible TLD's to make sure things like the ebay example don't happen.

No but almost every company in any developed country could, down to and including a mom and pop corner store, and since THATS MY FUCKING CONCERN, companys misuse of owned TLDs seems a little likely don't it? Dumbass.

Admin God

Wanderer
Arkad;765217 said:
Whats ^ with the shapeshifting obsession ?

Zaphieon;765050 said:
...btw your metamorph was fucking stupid.. you trying to say my website gets pimp-slapped less then a whore?? is that an insult?

From the other thread. Hilarity at it's finest.