RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICANN changing domain name rules

tbh, another (much less serious) downside of this is that it will take all the fun and challenge out of all the clever domain hacks.

Admin God

Wanderer
bzk90;765492 said:
whats stopping someone from registering a .gòv ?

I think ICANN is directly responsible for .gov and .edu so they verify any and all domains under those TLD's before allowing registration. Of course though, someone could probably register for the new TLD of .government or some variation.

Admin God;765577 said:
I think ICANN is directly responsible for .gov and .edu so they verify any and all domains under those TLD's before allowing registration. Of course though, someone could probably register for the new TLD of .government or some variation.
None of them are run by ICANN, ICANN doesn't really run anything they just make decisions regarding them, .gov is owned by General Services Administration (US only) and .edu is owned by educause, which is a non profit (can't be bought out) so neither of those are (probably) going anywhere. But ICANN just approves TLDs, it doesnt own or run any of them (aside from .test and such)

.government and .education and .organization will all be up for grabs though, and while a few legitimate parties that fit those descriptions might use them, if a commercial organization runs the registry and decides not to make any rules regarding them, they will be open season. (technically .org already is though)

Admin God

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;765606 said:
None of them are run by ICANN, ICANN doesn't really run anything they just make decisions regarding them, .gov is owned by General Services Administration and .edu is owned by educause, which is a non profit (can't be bought out) so neither of those are (probably) going anywhere. But ICANN just approves TLDs, it doesnt own or run any of them (aside from .test and such)

.government and .education and .organization will all be up for grabs though, and while a few legitimate parties that fit those descriptions might use them, if a commercial organization runs the registry and decides not to make any rules regarding them, they will be open season. (technically .org already is though)

yeah i wasn't sure about those two TLDs. thanks.

bzk90

Lord
Admin God;765577 said:

Thats my point though, domains under the .gov TLD are controlled but if someone registers a similar TLD like .gòv there is nothing little preventing somebody from registering cia.gòv or irs.gòv

The majority of internet users can't distinguish between real websites and websites that are just holding place on a domain
IE
http://mcrosoft.com/
http://microsoft.com/

How can we expect them to notice the difference between an o or an o with a tilde (ò) or even omicron (о)

.gov
.gòv
.gоv

Lysdexic

Sorceror
bzk90;765661 said:
Thats my point though, domains under the .gov TLD are controlled but if someone registers a similar TLD like .gòv there is nothing little preventing somebody from registering cia.gòv or irs.gòv

The majority of internet users can't distinguish between real websites and websites that are just holding place on a domain
IE
http://mcrosoft.com/
http://microsoft.com/

How can we expect them to notice the difference between an o or an o with a tilde (ò) or even omicron (о)

.gov
.gòv
.gоv

I don't think they would begin allowing those characters, especially since adding the new characters would break a lot of already created protocols based on DNS. But you'd be damn right that it would cause quite a bit of chaos if they did.

The fact that its been east asians who've been lobbying for it for the past... since the invention of the internet. Accents for European languages are no where near as needed/desired.

Also they arent shown on the IDN link admingod posted. But Arabic and Hebrew and a few others. meh.

Scream

Sorceror
We're entering a time where the address system is changing. Remember those old movies where the guy enters just one word in his phone and he finds the exact info he is looking for - thats whats going to happen sooner or later.

Radwen

Wanderer
Scream;765904 said:
We're entering a time where the address system is changing. Remember those old movies where the guy enters just one word in his phone and he finds the exact info he is looking for - thats whats going to happen sooner or later.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL