RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRC Common Sense Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

psz

Administrator
IRC Common Sense Rules

Here's NOT a good way to come into the IRC channel:

<Nather> hm, i'm wondering if autosave.cs can be modified to announce worldsaves twice, maybe 1 at 30 seconds, another at 15... is this doable?
<exarp> who cares
<Nather> heh, i guess no one does!
* Funnyhehe has joined #runuo
<Revan> um.. of course its possible
<exarp> who cares really
* k0t has quit IRC (Quit: k0t)
<exarp> its all a load of crap

As you can see: exarp is looking for trouble. He was subsequently banned for about 5 minutes, and told to play nice (Via PM)

He came back. He then praised Ryan. Not so bad, eh?

After 5-10 minutes of Ryan being called Lord and God and reffered to in Biblical terms ad nauseum, the majority of active IRCers asked him REPEATEDLY to shut up.

He did not.

I asked him to stop.

He did not.

TheOutkastDev asked him to stop.

He did not.

We all asked him again to stop.

He did not.

He was 24 hour banned.

He got another user to try to convince me to unban him (after I'd told him he was 24 hour banned). After I posted the above and some of the annoyances he spouted, the user appologised for bothering me, and said he could see why exarp was banned.

exarp then PMd me:
<exarp> can you direct me where it says I may be banned on the website please, due to my actions etc.
<psz> Do you know what a @ means in front of a person's name in IRC?
<psz> It means Moderator
<psz> Moderators "Moderate" the channel
<exarp> no, but I know what rules mean, and I have yet to see any on the website
<psz> You were asked by Two Moderators to stop being what was deemed as annoying.
<psz> You did not.
<exarp> can you direct me towards where the website says I am "banned"
<psz> Thus, you were 24 hour banned AFTER you were kicked banned.
<exarp> how was I being "annoying", I do not see "annoying" quantified on the website
<psz> If you have a complaint, please feel free to contact Ryan.
<exarp> Ryan is away, therefore I will contact you since you banned me
<psz> Annoying as described by the other users of the IRC channel (Revan, Nether, Outkast, Myself)
<psz> Etc
<exarp> where does it say this on the website
<psz> It doesn't.
<psz> WE, the mods, say it.
<exarp> I would like a "specific" rule regarding this
<psz> Too bad.
<exarp> where can I look at the "rules" concerning IRC then
<psz> Rules are set on a channel by channel basis, except in the case of Server Rules, which can be found on the server (Coldfront, in this case) website.
<exarp> I have contacted the IRCops and I have infracted no Server wide "infraction", therefore I would like to review the rules concerning the channel "#runuo"
<psz> The channel has no written policy. It is up to the admins and moderators present to determine what is and isn't allowed.
<psz> You were asked to stop by two mods, you didn't, thus you were banned.
<exarp> I have not viewed any policy regarding this on the website
<psz> Because, as I've said three times now, there is no written policy...
<psz> It is up to the admins and moderators present.
<exarp> If you wish for users to abide by a "policy" then the least you can do is provide the policy under which he/she may act
<exarp> where on the website does it say this?
<psz> THe policy is: If a moderator asks you to stop, stop.
<exarp> I have yet to view any policy regarding "IRC"
<exarp> Where can I view this "policy"
<exarp> is it on the website?
<psz> No
<psz> It isn't.
<psz> For the FOURTH time.
<exarp> then how do you expect people to "know" this, if it isn't on the website
<psz> Because a mod will ask them to stop.
<psz> Which we did.
<psz> Twice.
<exarp> It isn't on the website, I expect "regulations" on the website to regard my current topic of conversation, obviously this isn't the case. Moderators are not "the be all and end all" of IRC. There are regulations to abide to, and I don't see nay regulations concerning correct "behaviour" on the website
<psz> Well, when the owner of the channel (Ryan) tells the mods: It's in your hands and at your descretion, guess what.
<exarp> If i did, I would "gracefully" abide by them, but I see none
<psz> We become the end all and be all of the channel.
<psz> You were TOLD TO STOP.
<exarp> I have not seen on the website where it says so
<psz> Do you understand that simple concept?
<psz> Can you follow the basic logic behind the implications of "You were told to stop"?
<psz> Is this too far above your learning capacity at this time?
<exarp> no, because I don't see where the regulations are illustrated on the website
<psz> So you're saying you weren't told to stop?
<psz> Is this the information you're attempting to inform me of?
<psz> Shall I post where you were told to stop?
<psz> I can...
<psz> It's not a problem for me at all...
<exarp> I am saying there is not regulations where it says I am not allowed talk about Ryan. I have numerous logs about others doing the exact same thing, and nothing occured to them
<psz> Were they asked to stop?
<psz> Did they?
<exarp> I have no concern regarding this, it is not anywhere "illustrated" on the website
<exarp> if it were I would kindly abide by the rules but I see nowhere where it says I am not
<psz> So you're avoiding the part where they DID stop, thus following the rules set down by the admin and/or moderator present at the time, thus allowing them to not be kicked or banned.
<exarp> if you would publish the "do not" list I would kindly abide by it, but since you do not I don't see where it says I am not allowed do anything according to the server regulations
<exarp> I have nothing wrong according to the "server regulations" and if I was the IRCops would know so, as I have already conversed with them
<exarp> I would wish to look at the "rules" as I see none currently present
<exarp> that is my current wish
<psz> The rules are: If a mod asks you to stop, COMMON SENSE says to stop.
<psz> You obviously have no common sense.
<exarp> where does it say this?
<psz> Thus you should not be allowed to PM me.
<psz> Have a nice day.

At which point I set him to ignore.

So, for everyone wondering what the IRC channels rules are:

If a mod/admin asks you to stop or not do something: Stop.

There you have it.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
To quote someone in a quote at bash.org...

" i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet "

exarp

Wanderer
I'd just like to say I'm appalled at my behavour the other night. It shouldn't have happened and I apologise to anyone I offended. I came home quite drunk and I shouldn't have gone on IRC. I would request this post be deleted or made "unsticky" please if that is possible, as I feel quite embarrased by it. If you do not however, I understand. It is the least I deserve as the ramifications of my ill-mannered actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.