RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is god real

David

Moderate
Rockrat;646986 said:
david i take it your religious :)

Yes I am, although the term religious can have connotations I do not agree with. I prefer to simply think of myself as a Christian.

Alcyone

Sorceror
David;646987 said:
Actually science and religion can coexist quite well.

I so very agree. And I'll post my argument in favor of that, once I have some coffee and am able to put words together to form a logical sentence. *yawns, stretches, and curses the coffee pot for being so slow*

Didn't this point get argued when that icethereal kid tried to say that christians didn't belive in gravity?

Aside from the whole "How we got here" thing, theres not many conflicts at all between the two..

and your argument for saying that most scientists aren't very religious isnt a good one, being that A) I doubt its true, being that most scientists dont even study the subject of how we got here. Hell, your local MD or marine biologist could be considered a scientist. B) what they belive doesnt neccessarily have to affect their research. Thats the key to science, maintaining impartiality and eliminating bias.

FYI before I stopped beliving, noahs ark was my fave bible story. heh.

Rockrat

Sorceror
David;646987 said:
Actually science and religion can coexist quite well.

can they coexist...yes they can...will they coexist just depends on the scientist you talk to...yes i believe they can exist together but there are some scientists who will flat tell you that GOD does not exist and that everything that is written is a lie cause they cant comprehend it

Joeku

Lord
Rockrat;647250 said:
can they coexist...yes they can...will they coexist just depends on the scientist you talk to...yes i believe they can exist together but there are some scientists who will flat tell you that GOD does not exist and that everything that is written is a lie cause they cant comprehend it
So, religion and stupidity cannot coexist.

I see...

they comprehend it just fine. they just don't belive in it. dont confuse lack of faith with lack of intelligence. Trust me, you dont want me to post things in response to that.

Radwen

Wanderer
Joeku;647255 said:
So, religion and stupidity cannot coexist.

I see...
Dude.. thats plain retarded.
The average person is retarded and religion is rampant ..

How can they not coexist?

i say to each their own. if you question what you believe then i guess you dont believe it. maybe its just a ploy to give us americans something to believe in rather than our so called government. but hey i love to think that one day bush will burn in hell for his actions. :)

Alcyone

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;647257 said:
they comprehend it just fine. they just don't belive in it. dont confuse lack of faith with lack of intelligence. Trust me, you dont want me to post things in response to that.

I'm in no way saying I agree with Carl Sagen, but Carl Sagen was an Athiest, but A VERY intelligent man. And I do agree with him on most things, just not the Athiest thing. Go for it Anti. I'd love to hear your response to that.

Radwen

Wanderer
I really wonder how people can still believe in God ...
It really really makes me wonder how the human mind works lol.
A special thing it is ...

siran

Sorceror
hmm
Well, it's quite simple why I believe in God, and at the same time I am very much in favor of science and the scientific method.

There is no natural explanation for the existence of the material universe. The big bang theory, for example, still doesn't explain how the first "bang" happened or where the energy or material came from in the first place.

When I think of God, I am thinking of a being, force, or condition that is supernatural; in other words, not within or of the material universe. Cause and effect would imply that something external to the material universe caused the material universe. Whatever that something is, I call God.

Of course, I have no information as to how anything supernatural came to exist, or even really how to describe any attributes of such things. So, we see the brick wall of both science and religion: neither one can explain things satisfactorily.

As to the religions man has made, which may or may not contain some accuracy regarding supernatural things, I remain very much a skeptic. I am not willing to completely write off the compiled thoughts of mankind over the ages, as that would be quite arrogant. But neither can I wholly buy into them; though I do accept such bits and pieces as seem relevant and beneficial.

Dracolique

Sorceror
DreamCatcher;646974 said:
AB, looks as though Dracolique got a unwanted Runuo vacation. Doesn't look like he'll be following you around much for awhile anyway..Lol

Dont count your chickens before they are hatched, dreamcatcher.

siran

Sorceror
Alcyone;646572 said:
... cause my disabilities are the one thing I'm ashamed of.

Alcyone, (I love that name, by the way) your disabilities are one thing you should NEVER be ashamed of. I don't even know what they are, but from the little I have seen you write I know you have more than compensated by developing a keen mind and a loving heart. These are of far more importance, and those with ignorant minds and/or cruel hearts are far more disabled than you.

Slayer706

Sorceror
siran;648386 said:
There is no natural explanation for the existence of the material universe. The big bang theory, for example, still doesn't explain how the first "bang" happened or where the energy or material came from in the first place.
"Why is there something instead of nothing?" is probably the greatest question ever asked.
Whatever that something is, I call God.
That is something to my liking. Whenever I have heard people talk about God they always ask "If God doesn't exist, who created the universe?" The term "who" bugs me, because they automatically assume that someone as opposed to something made it.
I also hear this "logic" a lot:
Every painting has a painter and every building has a builder, thus the creation of the universe must have been done by a creator.

In reality, neither of those are really all that reasonable. I always respond with something along the lines of "If you can believe in a creator that wasn't created, why can't I believe in a creation that wasn't created?"
The thought that the entire universe could just appear amidst a sea of nothing isn't very logical, but neither is the thought that a being with supernatural powers and infinite intelligence has "always" been there. Either way, something that we don't understand happened. I just don't see the need to try to explain how/what happened when we have no way of testing or gathering evidence.
Humans can't even really comprehend abstract thoughts like "infinity" or "nothing" anyway.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Dracolique;648387 said:
Dont count your chickens before they are hatched, dreamcatcher.

That's okay. People who don't learn their lesson from bans soon find themselves gone again, so I don't think we have much to worry about.