RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linux help

mikeymaze

Wanderer
Linux help

how do you run terminal in Linux i am trying to turn my server into linux and one can help me please post i download wine and yum and rc2 but not sure how to run them

mikeymaze

Wanderer
yes i know that i am kinda new to it and not sure how to run the commands in the terminal i think i installed wine using Yum but now i am lost on how to use wine to install UO ML
i am downloading UO ML ON Linux right now and should be done in a few hrs
i installed mono for windows i think but not sure if its the right on or now i believe my new host is running CentOS

greywolf79

Sorceror
Just remember that you will want to use UO rice on the client on a windows install so you can use it with free shards on linux (but you will need to make sure you use UO rice on the same version of client on windows that you have on linux, otherwise it will not work right).

GreyWolf.

karth

Wanderer
Wine is only required to run the client if you plan on playing on your shard from a Linux box.

Otherwise running the server on linux is pretty straightforward. As far as I know, you should use yum to install the relevant RPMs fro your distribution's repositories.

You just have to make sure that the mono related packages are up to date (minimum required version: 1.2.6).
Once they are installed (the list of required packages are listed in the first post of the topic linked by greywolf), check out the last revision of runuo from the repository:

Code:
svn checkout http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/ runuo2

This will download the last sources in a runuo2 directory. Then go to runuo2/Server and run the build command from the above linked topic.

And once it is compiled, just go to runuo2/ and run
Code:
mono runuo.exe

It should then be up and running compiling the scripts. From then, the configuration is exactly the same as on a windows install.

mikeymaze

Wanderer
ok man will try this again , ok i have yum installed and wine i dont plan on using the box to play ill use my laptop for signing in under windows dont want to play on the same server that im running it from .

mikeymaze

Wanderer
ok i ran the yum install in a terminal and it says nothing to do so i either did it wrong and or its already installed now can i take my version on windows and just ftp it to my Linux box the latest svn or does it have to be Linux svn??

karth

Wanderer
yum(8): Yellowdog Updater Modified - Linux man page

The syntax is as follow

Code:
yum install [package_name]

i.e.

Code:
yum install mono-runtime

As for SVN, it's juste a command to automatically download the latest sources. If you manage to get them from other means, you can upload them on your server by ftp or any other protocol.

I assume your server is hosted and you have some remote access such as ssh. You can run the above commands from the logged console.

mikeymaze

Wanderer
i downloaded svn and rc2 and uploaded them to linux box by ftp so i hope that is all i just running into issues cause im a newbie and not sure if or how i can install this package
here is what i did i type yum install mono -runtime
and here is what it says

[root@vzone222-2 ~]# yum install mono - runtime
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Loading "priorities" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
159 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

karth

Wanderer
There is no space in package names.

From the documentaion

Specifying package names
All the list options mentioned above take file-glob-syntax wildcards or package names as arguments, for example yum list available 'foo*' will list all available packages that match 'foo*'. (The single quotes will keep your shell from expanding the globs.)

Therefore, if you type
Code:
yum list available 'mono*'
you will have a comprehensive list of the mono related packages to install available for your system.

mikeymaze

Wanderer
Available Packages
mono-basic.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-complete.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-data-firebird.i386 1.2.4-2.el5.centos extras
mono-data-oracle.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-data-postgresql.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-data-sqlite.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-data-sybase.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-devel.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-extras.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-jscript.i386 1.2.4-2.el5.centos extras
mono-locale-extras.i386 1.0.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
mono-nunit.i386 1.2.4-2.el5.centos extras
mono-nunit-devel.i386 1.2.4-2.el5.centos extras
[root@vzone222-2 ~]#

here is the list i dont see 1.2.6 tho :(

karth

Wanderer
Unfortunaltely, either you have to find a backport repository, or compile the mono sources yourself... Or you can have a shot with the mono version you have available...