RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linux noob about remote conection

Vrael

Traveler
Hi everyone,

I'm here because I'm starting to be interested to transfer my server from windows to linux, but I have some questions.

Seems to be easy configure a RunUO server with mono but how can I communicate with the server from my computer with windows? I know that exists something calling SSH via console, but can I transfer files with this interface? to transfer my whole server with this method.

Thanks for help.

Syty

Squire
I don't know anything about RunUO but I do know Linux. SSH with Putty (extraPutty if you do a lot of scripting repeatedly) and yes you can copy files but you may want to download winSCP.

The fact that you say "something called ssh" leads me to tell you to stick to what you know or start small. (Have a lot of fun)

graverobbing

Sorceror
I don't know anything about RunUO but I do know Linux. SSH with Putty (extraPutty if you do a lot of scripting repeatedly) and yes you can copy files but you may want to download winSCP.

The fact that you say "something called ssh" leads me to tell you to stick to what you know or start small. (Have a lot of fun)

I used to had Putty installed when i was kid on my Win XP and i always wondered what it was for and i remmember 1 time that i even open it and i was like WTF IS THIS???? and went back to play Starcraft or some other old glory LOL, now i read this alot of years foward and i see it has some HUGE usability so i'll prolly use it in the future :D.

Plus it has a version for both windows and linux, this makes it very confortable if you are working with several OS. Beeing able to use the same tool = priceless.

alambik

Sorceror
You can install a light desktop your linux station through SSH, for example, if ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Then you can install a X-server on your windows desktop (making sure the port 6000 is open and forwarded up to your computer), for example the XMING opensource X server
Then you launch the desktop from xming (the application would be in my case "xfce4")

That would allow you to get a desktop environment to start getting more familiar with linux and download remotely whatever you want without a deep knowledge of linux commands.

Never knew it was possible to launch the entire x-server interface on windows for remote controlling it. I knew it was possable to launch apps (I used a winamp clone from my linux box and have it show on my windows box) Of course i was running mandriva (formerly mandrake) for the distro