RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MapGen2 Where to edit random art types/density?

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
I seem to remember awhile back there was an XML file that you could edit a number and would add more or less statics to certain terrain types. I am having a hell of a time locating this file in my download of MapGen2 (from Ryandor.com)

Any help here?

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
Found them!

For anyone else having issues they are located in the following folder:
.../MapGenerator2/ArtDefinition/

At the top of the file there is a RandomArt weight, and beneath that, each static also has a weight you can edit.

Dian

Sorceror
Right on, thanks for posting the answer :)

Its too bad Map Generator 2 had come about at the end of the glory days of custom mapping. It is such a powerful map making tool. Like many others, I had pretty well finished the paint work to my map using multiple custom versions of Dragon when punt finally released this tool. The custom map making community was dying fast, and punt also was just about done with the Ultima tool making. (for various reasons) There was still a long way to go with these tools, and in the end they were meant to be somewhat all combined into one great tool. Map Gen, World Forge and some others all wrapped into one tool for creating a map, start to finish.. from paint to finished world building with the same tool. I think I still have source to most of punt's work. I spent a lot of time with the guy in the last year or so he devoted to UO stuff.

Good luck with the map!

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
I'm well aware. I've been in and out of the UO emulator community since 99. I miss when Ryandor.com was active :(

I started making maps with worldforge. and then used Dragon in its various forms and hacked up offerings. Was really excited about Ravenal's program (I believe it was his) but it never really got far. I've toyed with them all, and yeah they all have their kinks, but MapGen is by far the most complete. None of them are off the shelf solutions though.

Dian

Sorceror
I miss Ryandor.com too. Although its still alive, and he will never shut the site down. If he ever thought about it, he would offer it to me before just making it vanish, at least. I am still administrator there, but we had closed registration quite awhile back since the only activity for some years were from spam bots :( All it would take is some folks to start posting again, really. I talk to him from time to time.. At least he is good enough to let the site remain as is, rather than removing it completely like most do.