RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maptool for oversized custom map

Blackstorm

Sorceror
Hi, after a small break (a few years) i have made myself get back to work on my oversized custom map. Back when i started the only tool able to handle maps bigger than the EA maps was mapgenerator 2 (it takes a terrain and altitude bmp to make the mul files).

Maybe in the meanwhile there is something new? What are you using to build oversized maps?

Blackstorm

Sorceror
Hello m309, thank you. Centred+ is a great tool. Works good with my map. It's 4 times the standard map and no problems. I think it's the perfect tool for decorations, building cities, dungeons and smaller landscape changes. So i think i will stick to mapgenerator to export the landscape to mul and then work on it with centred+. Mapgenerator is slow but it's doing it's job. I don't think Dragon can handle larger maps.

Dian

Sorceror
Your right, Dragon is a preset map size creation. If I remember right, Darian had done one final updated Dragon version that would create an ileshnar sized map, but that's so long ago I might be confusing it with something else..

If I was in your position, I would be doing that same thing. Use Mapgenerator2 for the map itself. Its a great program if your willing to spend the extra time drawing out the map and elevation independently. I wish Punt had created that tool a few years sooner so I could have really put it to use myself.
Good luck with your map.

Sythen

Sorceror
UOLandscaper... Adobe Photoshop... CentrED or CentrED Plus (I prefer CentrED because the PLUS version is graphically bugged - don't believe me? Try placing the mushroom ring on your maps and look at them in game)... MapFix, and a hex editing tool is the best way to create custom maps for standard OSI Clones.

Now if you want to create custom maps without editing the Client.exe consider using UltimaLive and following the install instructions. It allows for 200+ more maps plus it has in-game map editing commands. Take my advice or not, but this is my two cents. I've been making custom maps for a long time now and this works for me, but we all have our own ways to do things.

m309

Squire
^Same here. As for the CED+ comments, I've never encountered a single graphic issue and I've been using it for almost 2 years.

Dian

Sorceror
You may be on a different season, as changing seasons will alter the item ID to many static items on the map.

Sythen

Sorceror
thats correct.. but that wasn't my issue. Statics don't really change unless you're going from trammel ruleset to felucca ruleset. then things change. The seasons only change the tiles on the ground, not the object statics on the map. The only time that happens is when changing facets that are identical between tram and fel.

Sythen

Sorceror
the issue surrounds the code in CentrED Plus... even though the XML files have the right item ID... you wont get it in the client because the program was made for earlier clients. I think it's an unintended glitch... Mushroom rings are a small thing so I'm sure the devs were like wtf we'll leave it. In retrospect they should have corrected the issue but did not; their choice, but it makes for shotty programming. Anyway from what I know Plus was thrown together anyways and it isn't even an official release of the original which was created by Andreas aka FloppyDisc aka Hitman

Dian

Sorceror
You are wrong, actually. Its not just from changing facet's. Flowers and mushrooms will change on the same facet when you change the season from spring, summer, fall.. I know this, as my custom maps.. the flower decor (static items) will be very different when changing seasons. Try it in your MapDefinitions.cs on your map. Change it to summer, log in, then to Fall, log in.

Sythen

Sorceror
i don't know what client you use... but this doesn't happen on mine. As much as you'd like to think it does. I created all my maps, they are custom as well. Every season except for winter stays the same with statics.

Dian

Sorceror
I should say too, I have not used CentreD for a long time, so there very well could be issues. I just know that what you are mentioning is very likely just a matter of the season you are on being the difference with mushrooms and flowers.

m309

Squire
Sythen, no idea what client or your code specs are.

My mapdefinition is set with Felucca ruleset, season 1. Mushroom ring in CED+ looks exactly like a mushroom ring on Felucca in-game with those settings. I just tested this by making a brand new mushroom circle. As Dian said, your settings are probably off, or you're using a bugged client. Either way, this has NOTHING to do with CED+. I also use a fully custom map for the record.

pooka01

Sorceror
I do remenmber my flowers turning to grass spots in malas when changing seasons... that's totally normal.

Also: If i decide to use ultima live, aswell as centred+, i can have a bigass map reaching 12k x 12k aswell as modifying the terrain on wish in my server?