RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft makes Visual Studio Express Free!!!

RunUO2874

Wanderer
On one hand, Java sucks. On the other, Microsoft is a corporate giant that has massive power in the computing industry and their software is being run on the majority of systems in the world and who, despite numerous flaws, has manages to produce some of the most use software in existance.. Who to hate, who to hate?

Arex

Wanderer
I only wait that Microsoft see this page and give u a demand for use his software without permission... or all people here have bought his IDE before it was free? You only like stupid, and Java sucks? it only can to be said for a stupid children or any ppl that dont work like professional developer doing enterprise and serious applications.

Ryan said:
Java sucks.

Sun Sucks.

Have to agree on that. I never saw anything perform as slow as Java.
**edit**
I'm taking SAP as example here
**endedit**

Linux is a great server OS and until the innovate rather than duplicate they will never gain desktop share.

This is totaly wrong tho. It is MS that duplicates. They already have a desktop share, try to find a security expert without at least one linux desktop.

The ONLY 2 reasons that Linux doesnt OWN the market are called DirectX dependant games, and the fact that everybody gets windows and a re-install cd with a new computer.

David

Moderate
Planet_Jeroen said:
...and the fact that everybody gets windows ... with a new computer.
or could it be that new pc's come with Windows because, well that is what the people buying them want?

wieganka

Sorceror
The ONLY 2 reasons that Linux doesnt OWN the market are called DirectX dependant games, and the fact that everybody gets windows and a re-install cd with a new computer.

I would say that there are more than 2 reasons. I tried Linux, and hated it. Why? The programs you are able to get for Linux just aren't as professionally put together as Windows programs. Plain and simple. They may be free, but you get what you pay for, as many have said in the past.

Nochte

Wanderer
David said:
or could it be that new pc's come with Windows because, well that is what the people buying them want?

maybe it's the agreements that they have with microsoft to offset cost of hardware?

wieganka

Sorceror
orgis said:
so whats better visual studio or sharp development?

That's up to you to decide, personally, I like Visual Studio, but you may like Sharp better. Since they're free, try them both out. :)

orgis

Wanderer
wieganka said:
That's up to you to decide, personally, I like Visual Studio, but you may like Sharp better. Since they're free, try them both out. :)

Aye i,ve just installed visual studio so i'm away to read and follow "TMSTKSBK"'s FAQ on using it with runuo ;)

yarex

Wanderer
lol

:D

Java > C#? [Java << C# - c# is better language my friend]

J2EE >> .NET? [ J2EE <= .NET .net framework isnt the best, but also J2EE isn't so exceptionally good either, the list would be long - from better .net garbage collector, to variable types.... ]

Eclipse (the best IDE ever) >>> MS. VISUAL STUDIO ALL VERSIONS?
[i hope that this is mentioned as a bad joke. M$ VS has it's flies, but i would prefer to use Eclipse (the best IDE ever) == MS. VISUAL STUDIO ALL VERSIONS]

Anyone who disagree, please place arguments, not flames ;)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
JAVA MUST DIE!!!!

no kidding, yo.
I hate that language. So worthless...Surely there's a better way to do whatever it does. If you like Java...well...have fun spending too much time doing too little.

noobie

Wanderer
yarex said:
:D

Java > C#? [Java << C# - c# is better language my friend]

J2EE >> .NET? [ J2EE <= .NET .net framework isnt the best, but also J2EE isn't so exceptionally good either, the list would be long - from better .net garbage collector, to variable types.... ]

Eclipse (the best IDE ever) >>> MS. VISUAL STUDIO ALL VERSIONS?
[i hope that this is mentioned as a bad joke. M$ VS has it's flies, but i would prefer to use Eclipse (the best IDE ever) == MS. VISUAL STUDIO ALL VERSIONS]

Anyone who disagree, please place arguments, not flames ;)

read carefully my friend :)

i said Java = C# since syntaxes of both languages are the same. anyone can write some code in either one, also can write in the other languge. (just change the class names) even most classes has same methods.

J2EE vs .NET => well, apperantly you have no idea about J2EE. It is not the framework that Java run on, it is a kind of software framework that facilitates a good level of programming design with numerous tools (almost all of them are free).

About the IDE part, I have been using both of them (Eclipse & VS ) for some years.
-7/8 years VS 6.0 (i agree with the unintellisense part with C++ hehe)
-4/5 years VS.NET ( most current versions)
-2,5 years Eclipse

VS.NET cannot compete with Eclipse in any way. Eclipse has any feature which any developer could demand. And since it is a plugin based IDE and also opensource, there are numerous plugins available out there for every kind of work.

If you do not use Eclipse, do not assume anything..

David said:

Sure... back in 1990, when you bought a computer, you got it with windows pre-installed. There wasnt a computer around without it, unless you bought the parts, and assembled it yourself. Near noone had a internet connection and IF they had one it would take forever to download another OS.

Very few people had a need to learn about computers. The ones that did, did so for one of 3 reasons:

-Profession: These people usualy had skills in Unix and a growing number of NT3.51 and novell. The last where growing since near any moron could perform tasks that required skill on Unix.

-Game: They all ran a dos >= 5.4 with or without win 3.1(1) later win95/98
Linux had his own games, mostly ports, most buggy, and few played them anyways

-Hobby: Same as game; they needed a notepad and a spreadsheet. Why bother learning about a computers inner workings.

The later 2 grew up, and companies needed computers for text processing and other office needs to keep up with growing demands. Near everyone knew windows by that time, so that was the easy choise. People NOT been in contact with computers till they encountered them at work, learned windows.
etc.

Game development catched on... where was the market.. well windows is what everyone had.. so let's develope for windows.

This created the kinda lawsuits that MS faced over the years.

marvin3634

Wanderer
I think that it is funny.

You may call me a newb, I guess i couldnt deny it. when it came to scripts. C# didnt even come to my mind when i was trying to put a armor or what have you together. I honestly thought until about a week ago it was just a set of instructions that were of this server, not a language that is used for creating a whole program lol. Now that being said, i seen this article and that is where the humor really comes in. A few guys here said nice editor , so I in turn read a line or two and went to the links . Upon downloading it i started to read the tutorial and went on from their and now am half way c#2005 for dummies. Never scripted before in my life and am now enjoying it more than playing OU and Owning a shard. But the funny part looking back is the people that referred to visual c# as an editor and have not taken the golden opportunity to realize the potential for this appy as the key to making what one could only start to imagine.Not just dumping out a simple artie or a teleporter, But an entire core. A whole new distr of their very own or in my case a client opener that links UO client directly to my shard W/O the user having to configure it. completely skipping OUG.

To you who have not figured out that this is not just an editor and instead is a complete compiler. Please take a stab at the free education offered by this and do something truly remarkable .......Create.

As for my spelling and puctuation microsoft has not yet released "Visual English" yet ..lol. :D