RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft makes Visual Studio Express Free!!!

Arex

Wanderer
J2EE vs .NET

I am working on a governamental company like J2EE developer and i can say that .NET vs. J2EE isnt really a fight, all applications are done with J2EE (we have 50 guys with J2EE abilities and 5 guys with .NET abilities and we only use to .NET guys for wrapp applications... ), one of the main reasons is that J2EE grows faster that .NET and big companies use Oracle like database, and Oracle use Java integrated for almost all and his OC4J server dont work very good with .NET

or u are thinking that Microsoft SQL server is better that Oracle? it would be like a joke

marvin3634

Wanderer
Why is this a debate?

It started as a fact. Fact is that C# Express is now free. Fact is that the reason this is relevent, is RUO is written in C#. Fact is Java and other codes being better or worse have no bearing on this issue. Fact is if you want to write scripts for RUO then you should LEARN C#. DEBATE IT IF YOU WANT. IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACTS. THE DEBATE DOES NOT MATTER! :eek:

yarex

Wanderer
Oracle vs Mssql fight.... i think that both have it's advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of the oracle you have to learn a lot of tweaking and maintanance can be a nightmare.

Mssql is much much easier to maintain, still can hold a lot of data (nice example is monster, where some tables have gigabites and it still works at usable speed.)

Also to be honest, mssql has it's disadvantages too, like weird limitations on amount of columns in the table, limit 8k chars on varchar type, 4k on nvarchar, (text is bigger, but binary type).....

so it really depends on what project are you going to develop and what system developers know better and fits the requirement.

Also regarding java vs c#.
As a language..... if you take syntax and pure structure, c# > java. If anyone is interested, i can provide list of language constructs that c# CAN and java CAN'T.

Both languages are compiled into meta-code that can be ported to other platforms, java is here longer, so has been ported to multiple platform.

Also microsoft wants to earn money, that'z why with c# is more tighly linked with m$ platform, but c# as a language is imho still better.

Try to type c# vs/and java compare and read multiple responses from multiple people. Most of them will say c# > java, even that java is used as primary language on many banking and other systems,

noobie

Wanderer
what I like about C# and .NEt, it is a full package. i mean the distro package includes most of the libraries anyone needs.

but while working in java, you need to find some of them for yourself and you should better know what you are looking for. if you know what are doing, you can find more than you need, more than C# & .NEt has.

yarex said:
Also regarding java vs c#.
As a language..... if you take syntax and pure structure, c# > java. If anyone is interested, i can provide list of language constructs that c# CAN and java CAN'T.

well, most of that list is not valid with java 1.5 (including C# 2.0 features)

Chrono13

Wanderer
This is the greatest tool ive every used. I was using SharpDevelop before this and since i started using Visual Studio i now realize that SharpDevelop is crap. Its simple, easy to use, easy to understand.

I love that it reads only errors that RunUO server.exe would find so i don't have all these random lists of syntax errors that runuo would consider as wrong.

dspain75

Sorceror
AxEsLoCkEd said:
Well i was a notepad person too but since ive started using ms visual studio 2002 i cant quit using ms studio well now i have Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Architect and Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition Beta from on my laptop and Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition on my pc :)

yeah thats what i use for all my companies releases, that architect studio 2003 is very nice.

yarex

Wanderer
Well, visual studio has some nice features, but i dont like the direction, which it evolves.

Microsoft is trying to remove programmer from real coding and remove his total control from code by givin him another and another layer of classes or features, that look more like dragging and dropping items on the page then real coding and proper using OOP techniques.

Also vs2005 is UNBELIEVABLY slow and memory consumpting (even simple web opened in vs takes like 80-90 mb of memory, god knowz what everything it loads.)

Unfortunately, there isn't yet any equal opensource alternative on the market.

I use Visual Studio Express 2k5 and It works awesome. Then again...

Windows XP : Media Center
Pentium 4 3GHz
1 Gig of Ram

... that may be why ...

-Storm

yarex

Wanderer
Storm33229 said:
I use Visual Studio Express 2k5 and It works awesome. Then again...

Windows XP : Media Center
Pentium 4 3GHz
1 Gig of Ram

... that may be why ...

-Storm

I have 2005 pro edition and 2.6 intel with 1.25 ram and it's slow like a hell.

Ooooh where are these days when 600kb was enough and all software was written in assembly or c/c++ ;) hehehe

Uhhhh

Wanderer
For what it's worth (or not)

I was using the VS Express programs, then I got VS Standard (free) from Microsoft. . .and it seems to run MUCH better than the Express versions. Loading time, time it takes to open a file, they all seem to happen faster than the Express versions do it.

AMD 64 X2 3800+, Win XP, 1GB RAM, SATA1 HDD

noobie

Wanderer
VS 2k5 completely suxx.
It freezes whenever I try to build the project. (%80)
Cel 1.3Ghz, 512 mb ram, maybe its a slow machine but it doesnt even reponse!

Besides, it doesnt have a smart error recovery pattern. Lets say if there is a small error in a core file, it gives you millons of unnecessry errors in other files which has dependencies in core.

R

r00ted

David said:
or could it be that new pc's come with Windows because, well that is what the people buying them want?
the people buying them really do not know what they are getting.

Just because you ate the cafeteria food at your elementary/middle/high school, or maybe even at your workplace, doesn't mean you WANT it. You just take it cause that's what they are giving to you.

Same thing here. The consumer doesn't know there are a multitude of other FREE Operating Systems around the Internet.

The above message is by no means a 'personal attack' at/on David

Chrono13

Wanderer
Essentially, a good many of those other operating system you are talking about are for the people who actually "get" computers and can customize and work them. Windows and Mac are good for the average computer idiot (Mac is even better for the idiot) However, Windows is flexible and is able to be manipulated alot easier than a Mac.

A_Li_N

Knight
r00ted said:
...there are a multitude of other FREE Operating Systems around the Internet.
That can't run 90% of the programs out there.

Now, I'm not sayin that Linux/etc are 'bad' operating systems. I'm saying that Windows is what 90% of the software developers create their programs for/on. If I had time and money, I'd build a linux box and learn how to play around with it, but I don't think I'll be replacing my windows box any time soon.

Chrono13 said:
Essentially, a good many of those other operating system you are talking about are for the people who actually "get" computers and can customize and work them. Windows and Mac are good for the average computer idiot (Mac is even better for the idiot) However, Windows is flexible and is able to be manipulated alot easier than a Mac.
I must be one of those 'average computer idiot' types.

Chrono13 said:
For calling me an idiot you get - Karma. Linux is cool, but I aint gonna switch over completely. First off, I do not know enough about it to trust it completely. Also Linux can't run most of the commercial software out there. Even with wine. Even if it could, Linux needs to innovate its own stuff, instead of emulating Windows products. Until I'll use Windows and toy with linux until I'm more comfortable with it. Now, can anyone explain how this relates to Visual Studio Express being Free?

crackrat

Wanderer
lol i guess im yet another one of those idiots.

i run windows xp pro sp2 why? Becuase i can go out and get software for it.
im only half an idiot though part of my network runs on a duel boot setup with fedora as a second OS. why do i use fedora? primarily for school and also for open office which handles almost all my needs for letters, reports and such.

i use vs 2005 becuase it is industry standard i also use sharp when its needed for school.

when i was into profession software production we kicked around making a unix port of our product it was thought as a bad idea due to the numbers actualy needing that port.