RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.NET framework usage

H

Hotdog

.NET framework usage

Hi

It is great to see a project like this using the latest technology available. It can only be good for the future of UO emulator's.

I have some questions about how you are using the .NET framework.

1.) I see that c# is used for scripting. Does this mean that you are not using the Common Language Runtime so that other languages are not supported for scripting in?

2.) I also read that scripts are compiled when the server starts up. I thought that the framework compiled scripts when they were first executed. At least I know it works that way with ASP.NET. Is there a way in the framework to control when scripts are compiled?

I hope that the development goes well and the Beta is available soon. I can't wait to take a look at it. The stress test figures were very impressive.
Hope my questions make sense. :)

krrios

Administrator
As it is now, RunUO compiles every *.cs file in a Scripts directory using CodeDOM compilers. As I understand it, you cannot intermingle different language source files in the same assembly.

Eventually I expect RunUO to have a somewhat more extensive script compiler, supporting assembly references and perhaps different .NET languages.

I

Iain

COdeDOM

Krrios, my understanding of CodeDOM was that compiling scripts with CodeDOM actually needed to invoke the C# (or VB) compiler executable and those executables are not part of the 20 meg redistribution set but part of the SDK. Since you are only requiring the redistribution files for RunUO will this be an issue? I only ask this because I attended an MS training event this past week in which this topic came up and the MS response was as I said earlier, to compile scripts requires the compilers in the SDK.

Could the MS talking head be wrong? Of course he could. It wouldn't be the first time misinformation was put out by MS. I just thought I would mention it.

R

Rainman

No, you don't need the sdk for compiling the scripts as far as I can tell. I don't know if krrios is going to be changing it so vb.net or asp.net scripts will work in addition to c# in the future andyou might need added support for those.

seank

Wanderer
Re: COdeDOM

Iain said:
Krrios, my understanding of CodeDOM was that compiling scripts with CodeDOM actually needed to invoke the C# (or VB) compiler executable and those executables are not part of the 20 meg redistribution set but part of the SDK.

No, that's not true. As posted earlier, the ability to compile C# code is in the .Net Runtime. The SDK just contains the front-ends. To illustrate this point, you can install the .Net Framework, and then download SharpDevelop. You still won't have csc.exe on your system, but you can build, compile, and run .Net apps, including VB.Net.

In fact I heavily recommend SharpDevelop over the SDK or VS.Net, it's smaller, faster, and doesn't fuckup your system the way VS.Net does.

Zippy

Razor Creator
I haven't had VS.net fuck up my system...

it fucks itself up all the time.. but evertything else is fine ;-)