RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new and a bit overwhelmed.

winterwi

Traveler
Very sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.
So..I saw this post
http://www.runuo.com/community/thre...hat-can-be-done-with-time-and-centred.533242/

and now I truly wish to try and make my own server.(really want to decor things and make new dungeons) I am just not sure where to start..also how easy is it to edit the settings on your own server? (removing the need for reagents, creating NPCs and Monsters) things like that. Also is it hard to find get a default spawn area thing? or do you manually have to go and add spawn everywhere?

I have no scripting knowledge at all..
I also have no clue where to get the client needed..all I have are my old Ultima online CDs.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me through this...I do have skype if it makes it easier in explaining.

Twlizer

Sorceror
I would suggest you Gm on a free server for a bit and learn. After that id attempt what your thinking about

winterwi

Traveler
oh..I cannot find any free servers that have what I am looking for.. they all use reagents and one that was suggest to me..was a pvp server o.o or seemed pvp focused on their website.

Twlizer

Sorceror
well why I say join another server to gain experience is because this server took 4 scripters 4 months full time to work out systems.

You have your work cut out for you ... not saying you cant do it just saying its a long road

Dian

Sorceror
Search the web for an Ultima Online client at around 7.0.2x version for your easiest starting, anything higher and there will be compatibility issues.. This may be confusing for you, but when you install the game client and open the log in screen you will see the client version number at the bottom of the log in text fields. Try to get something below 7.0.24. (UOSE cd would be fine for a start)

Download the RunUO server package from the site here. There are plenty of different versions of RunUO, but this will get you going and is the most supported at this site. It would be RunUO 2.2 or 2.3 to date here.

Unpack the RunUO server somewhere on your computer. Somewhere fairly easy to get to, and remember.. like c:/runuo

In the RunUO folder, there is runuo.exe and this will launch your RunUO game engine or server. While it launches the first time, you will be prompted to enter a user and password for the owner account. Once you enter this, the game will load.

It is almost that easy to get started. You can now log in with your Ultima Online game client with the user/pass you created, and create a character that will be your Owner (staff/admin'/creator, whatever you want to call it). Use the command [helpinfo for a quick look at the commands you have at your disposal.

That is the most basic start up I can offer, and there is MUCH more to it, but that will at least get you running on a live game server.

Arrrr

Wanderer
You dont need to know any programming if you just want to decorate. Now, let's be honest. Once you want to add dynamism to your world, you will be disabled. Runuo uses c# which is a "serious" programming language, in the sense that people get paid for knowing how to write on it, so (in my opinion) it is not an easy issue to overcome. I would not expect in a month, or two, or six to be able to work as a photographer without previous experience. After all, some people on EA get paid for exactly doing what people here do for free.

The good part is that, on the other hand, many programmers don't want to deal with world decorating. I'm sure you can find some partner that wants to program for your world.

Safera

Page
I wholeheartedly agree with twlizer.

For anyone just getting started, volunteering on another server is the perfect way to learn the ropes. And it's a win-win for everyone. You'll get free support and help and they'll be getting some much needed help as well. Most graphic/deco work can be exported and re-imported into your server when you get to that point too so your time and efforts won't be wasted. The same is true of scripts. Just something to think about.

Justin Davis

Wanderer
Very sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.
So..I saw this post
http://www.runuo.com/community/thre...hat-can-be-done-with-time-and-centred.533242/

and now I truly wish to try and make my own server.(really want to decor things and make new dungeons) I am just not sure where to start..also how easy is it to edit the settings on your own server? (removing the need for reagents, creating NPCs and Monsters) things like that. Also is it hard to find get a default spawn area thing? or do you manually have to go and add spawn everywhere?

I have no scripting knowledge at all..
I also have no clue where to get the client needed..all I have are my old Ultima online CDs.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me through this...I do have skype if it makes it easier in explaining.

Hi Winterwi, I started just a about a week or so ago, I installed the RunUO 2.5 server and opened it, I then connected to that server with my 7.0.15 UO client, I then used Neruns Distro 2.5 to spawn the world, I then went and added extra spawns and decorations with Pandora Box 3.0. With Pandora Box3 it's all push a button to do stuff no coding so don't worry.

If you use those 3 I just mentioned you can get up and running on your own World with no need for GM practice on a free shard. The only practice I would suggest is spawn some monsters with Pandora box3 and make your own Castle and decorate it also with Pandora Box3 box. Hope this gets you going.