RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New murder system?

JerrodWofford

Sorceror
I was thinking of a way to give penalties for player killers without being too harsh on them. So here goes. I was thinking that every player should have blue status at all times, until they commit a crime vs a player. (this way they can access the safety of towns and use bankboxes, who is going to know that they were a murderer or thief anyway except the person they commited the crime against) At the time they commit a crime or are aggressive against another player, (starting the fight) the blue reverts to either grey or red depending on his status. If hes grey, the normal timer begins before he reverts once again into a blue. Thieves stay grey to the person they commited thievery against for 24 hrs, (so that the victim has a chance to get revenge against this person without being guard whacked or attacked by other blues) Everyone else will see him as blue and will not be able to attack him without consequences. A person who attacks another person and has murder counts above 5 will at that time will revert to red status where he will be freely attackable by all players.

Also a person in red or "murder" status loses 2% skill loss across the board (not to drop below 0) for every murder count above 5 that he or she has. Skill loss returns 2% at a time for every murder count that drops off. Not only would this make players think twice about just murdering people for no reason at all, (mainly newbies that would have nothing for the murderer to loot anyway) but also with every murder count they aquire, it would make it that much easier for them to be killed instead of them getting away with another murder. This would essentially keep the killing sprees to a minimum and make them think twice about becoming a murderer in the first place. The skill loss would not be permenant, so there would be no long term reprecussions for murdering.

Let me know if you think you could script this, and any ideas you may have that could make this system better in any way.

scipio

Sorceror
Also a person in red or "murder" status loses 2% skill loss across the board (not to drop below 0) for every murder count above 5 that he or she has. Skill loss returns 2% at a time for every murder count that drops off. Not only would this make players think twice about just murdering people for no reason at all, (mainly newbies that would have nothing for the murderer to loot anyway) but also with every murder count they aquire, it would make it that much easier for them to be killed instead of them getting away with another murder. This would essentially keep the killing sprees to a minimum and make them think twice about becoming a murderer in the first place. The skill loss would not be permenant, so there would be no long term reprecussions for murdering.

This would kill pvp all together. If you want skill loss just do factions. What would happen to murderer factioners? 5x skills loss?

BBraamse

Sorceror
This would kill pvp all together. If you want skill loss just do factions. What would happen to murderer factioners? 5x skills loss?

It seems like JerrodWofford wants to have a server that is more like real-life. How many people do you know that are murders/thieves by just looking at them? None. Someone has to tell you that they are. To you, they look like a normal person. But... the victim knows otherwise.

I see what he is doing and to me, it sounds like he wants to run a PvE (primarily) and PvP (secondary) server. It won't kill PvP but it will hinder PKing. I'm sure he knows the repercussions of this mod.

@JerrodWofford I would recommend you take a look at the Notoriety.cs script and get some ideas on how to flag someone grey/red/enemy of a certain player. Then make a timer call in the OnDeath() method of your PlayerMobile.cs script in order to put it in to effect.

JerrodWofford

Sorceror
Wow, you guys replied to a post from June lol. Well better late than never. Honestly I dont think this would kill Pvp, nor do i think it puts Pvp second. I just believe that it will maybe give a murderer a reason not to kill the noob for no reason. (When he knows all this stuff is newbified or he has nothing worth taking in the first place.) Perhaps this would make more people do the ole, "Gimme your gold or i'll run ya through!" Roleplaying approach more, instead of massing a ganking group with your buddies and killing everything in sight. Just my thoughts though.

BBraamse

Sorceror
You want to try to protect noobs it seems like more so than you want to protect everyone. That's why retail UO implemented the Young system, to protect new players. But your system puts a damper on the satisfaction players have from being a Red. Most reds enjoy the fact they intimidate players. If you implement the system you are talking about, it will give all murderers a 2% skill lose for EVERY kill they get. So a murderer with only 5 kills (actually red now) has only 90% in each skill. Now they have to wait 40 hours to get a kill taken off and then they can kill one more player.

What we are trying to say is it will literally handicap PvP if not kill it completely.

Macil

Sorceror
I like this idea Jerrod, why not add something regarding tracking perhaps to make it so different levels of tracking can tell you different information on different versions of notoriety. Lower levels may be able to sniff out a nearby criminal, mid levels can tell you if there is a perma-red nearby, and highest levels can show you in a much larger area where reds who have not committed your suggested 5 murders yet and who are currently only visibly red to their victims - that is until you've successfully tracked them. Could somehow combine it with Forensics too seeing as you're dealing with murders and crimes. =)