RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to RunUO, my newb guy contribution

TerrorUDL

Wanderer
I am a software developer, CompSci grad from late 90s who happens to have played UO back in the day. Some old players from the early UO days may remember me. Anyways, I thought my first post should be my compilation of a few start guide posts here that were older and not quite complete for what I thought would be the most useful start of anyone (experienced or not) to start hacking on RunUO.

So please forgive me if I shouldnt be doing this, here is my guide to getting RunUO setup so you can start coding and debugging with it. Shout out to Vorspire for his tutorial that got me most of the way.

For the record, my background is embedded linux mostly in C/C++ and recently, cross platform web apps mostly in python (among other things). I have had zero C#.

----

If you are going to do development with RunUO, you really need to use a good IDE to help you edit, build and debug your code. Since RunUO is C# (Microsoft programming languange), Visual Studio is the way to go. The overhead may seem intimidating to you if you are new to writing code, but no worries, I will make it easy to get you started.

Go get Visual Studio Express
Unless you are a cool kid with a MSDN subscription, you need to go grab the free version of Visual Studio, VS2013 Express. This can be found here: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-express-vs Simply go to this location, click download, select the Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop and click the Install option. It will take a few to run and setup, but it will do everything for you. No expertise required.

Grab RunUO Full Source
We want to retrieve the full source RAR, you do that by clicking here: https://runuo.googlecode.com/files/RunUO2.3r987_Full_Src.rar Using 7zip (Go here to get 7zip to uncompress the RAR: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html Just get the 7zip installer that matches your windows machine OS), extract this to a folder called RunUO (or whatever name you prefer).

Setup a Visual Studio Project
Launch Visual Studio, to get yourself ready to develop, do the following in order
  • Go to View menu, select Solution Explorer. You should see a window appear on the right pane of Visual Studio
  • Go to View menu again, select Error List. You should see a window appear at the bottom of Visual Studio
  • Go to File menu, select New Project. A dialog window will pop up, do the following:
    • Select Templates Visual C#, select Console Application
    • In Name, type RunUO
    • In Location, type C:\Code\RunUO
    • Click OK
  • This should create a solution in your Solution Explorer windows called RunUO.
  • Locate in the Solution Explorer a file called Program.cs and delete it.
  • In Solution Explorer window, just below Solution RunUO (not on it), right click on the RunUO project name and select properties.
  • This should open in the center window of Visual Studio, set on Application.
  • Look for a drop down called Target Framework and select .NET Framework 2.0. On the popup warning you just select Yes.
  • On left hand side, below Application, click Build. In that window, check Allow Unsafe Code and Optimize Code.
  • Under Output, click browse and set Output Path to C:\Code\RunUO
  • In Solution Explorer window, expand References, do the following:
    • Remove all the libraries by right click Remove, so that only three left are System, System.Data and System.Xml, easy way is just remove all the libraries with yellow yield sign with exclamation on it.
    • Right click on References, click Add References, select System.Drawing, System.Web, System.Windows.Forms
    • The End result should now list all six libraries
    • Collapse References in the Solution Explorer
  • Now go to the location you extracted the RunUO source. Highlight all three folders (Data, Scripts and Server), and drag and drop them in the Solutions Explorer window on the RunUO project (just under Solution RunUO) You should now see all the source files in your Solutions Explorer under those folder names.
  • In Solutions Explorer, expand Properties and remove AssemblyInfo.cs (Right click, delete).
  • Then under Server Folder, drag the AssemblyInfo.cs file and drop it on the Properties.
  • Go to File, click Save all.
Now all you need to do is find the Green play Button that says Start next to it and push it. This will compile your project and launch it. If you did the above correctly, you will see a console launch that will start up the server, prompting you to create an owner account.

---

Hope this helps any new guy wanting to get a good start!